Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2020, 10:36 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Says the guy who tows a trailer. A towed car cannot be backed up like a hay wagon! Not without damage and certainly not in a hurry.
M&G designed a tow bar capable of backing-up a 4-down car. http://www.rvtechstop.com/resources/mgtowok.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2020, 08:00 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
M&G designed a tow bar capable of backing-up a 4-down car. http://www.rvtechstop.com/resources/mgtowok.pdf
That was 21 years ago. And no one has ever seen one.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #45

96 Wideglide

He hasn't ever backed up a four-down car hooked to a tow bar that has stopped in a turn. He won't answer.
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #46

Lol...this thread makes me feel better. I can not for the life of me back up a Hobart power cart attached to a tug into its parking space. I thought it was just me and my co-workers getting laughs at my expense.
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:19 AM   #47

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrs View Post
96 Wideglide

He hasn't ever backed up a four-down car hooked to a tow bar that has stopped in a turn. He won't answer.
Well, that was my first response to him.

I've backed up 15' or so when my car was straight with the coach. When your stopped in the middle of a 90 deg turn, it's not going to happen!
Old 02-18-2020, 10:06 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Draw your own conclusions from your own observations, Gary, I only know what I see. There *are* some specialized trucking firms that already use multiple cameras, but they run their own tractors w/company drivers, their own trailers, and the companies prioritize the video as right next to proper driver logging.

But the average wheel jockey who's just trying to get some miles down? If he's not driving, fueling and eating, he's sleeping. He's not going to spend time dealing with anything he can't get fired over. And if a driver can't back up with mirrors and a yard master you can be pretty sure a camera won't help. I wish my observations were more flattering to the industry but the "real pros" are retiring every day and their replacements are more than green...
Sorry if I overreacted. It never ceased to amaze me how many well paid airline captains were too cheap to buy their own headset and would use the crappy one in the airplane. A Plantronics headset and custom earmold was about $200.

I would think a trucker would like his own inexpensive rear view camera that he could move from trailer to trailer. It just provides so much more info than just mirrors.

OK, rant over.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #49

96 Wideglide

Precisely
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Sorry if I overreacted. It never ceased to amaze me how many well paid airline captains were too cheap to buy their own headset and would use the crappy one in the airplane. A Plantronics headset and custom earmold was about $200.

I would think a trucker would like his own inexpensive rear view camera that he could move from trailer to trailer. It just provides so much more info than just mirrors.

OK, rant over.
I don't think you over-reacted, you have a logical question because *we* know that cameras help RVers. It's likely that if adopted by the trucking industry they'd help big rig drivers, too. Right now there is no incentive for the OTR commodity haulers to do so and most OTR drivers have more pressing concerns that directly impact their pay and job retention.

Truck drivers will increasingly become "last mile" drivers as OTR becomes automated. For professional OTR drivers today, plan on retiring or changing jobs in about 10 years. The light at the end of the tunnel is a self-driving truck with LED headlights...
Old 02-18-2020, 07:09 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Well, that was my first response to him.

I've backed up 15' or so when my car was straight with the coach. When your stopped in the middle of a 90 deg turn, it's not going to happen!

Wow, somebody just admitted backing up a toad can be done when others claim it can't be done. Yes, backing up on a toad curve is more difficult but with skill it still can be done.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:29 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Wow, somebody just admitted backing up a toad can be done when others claim it can't be done. Yes, backing up on a toad curve is more difficult but with skill it still can be done.
yes it can be "sometimes" when it is already in a straight line. but if the front wheels are already in a turned position it go to full lock one way or the other. the only way to fix it, beside of unhooking is to pull forward to get the towed wheels straight again. it is because of the camber and caster in the towed vehicle that this happens.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #53

Entegra Owners Club
I have two roadmaster all terrain tow bars I’ll sell you. You might have trouble hooking up with them, as they both have one or two bent arms, but maybe they’ll work...oh, you need to buy a new tow bar attachment for the toad as it is bent a little also.

With all due respect, sir, both were ruined when I thought I could back up just a little (read less than a foot) and I was lazy (read didn’t disconnect). And I occasionally drove semis in a previous life. There may be a new brand flat tow system that will allow backing, but neither roadmaster or blue ox are enabled that way, and they tell you not to as well.

But, maybe I just shouldn’t be doing this:(
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
You told us you'd show us how. We're still waiting.
ageishecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #55

I wold be more interested in see some of you nasayers backing up three hay trailers that would be an interesting video, it pretty obvious not many of you have tried this
monte433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #56

No comment, just waiting for the video.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote