Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #57

Wait until you drive to Long Island
F14man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2021, 02:46 PM   #58
tcg

My experiences is semi trucks are the only vehicles that will honor my turn signal. Many times they will slow just a bit to let me over but they will not speed up to prevent me from changing lanes or exiting like most passenger vehicles do.

I also see plenty of passenger vehicles that will speed up to not let trucks over making it very difficult for the truck.

In other words it is a two way street.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 02:56 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
My experiences is semi trucks are the only vehicles that will honor my turn signal. Many times they will slow just a bit to let me over but they will not speed up to prevent me from changing lanes or exiting like most passenger vehicles do.

I also see plenty of passenger vehicles that will speed up to not let trucks over making it very difficult for the truck.

In other words it is a two way street.
My experience is that the truckers are by far the safest and most courteous drivers anywhere. I intentionally tuck in line with other truckers when I can. Maybe they are courteous to me since I am sort of one of them driving a 43ft TC pulling a trailer with a Hummer on it. Maybe truckers are not as nice in all areas of the country? A regional thing?
ItalGerBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #60

I am from a long line of over the road truck drivers. My father was a retired teamsters driver. And, my brother and I drove trucks for many years. You are 100% correct about the quality of truck drivers today. Courtesy on the road use to be expected by all especially truck drivers. Now, you are taking your life in your own hands when getting on the interstate. We try real hard to stay on the secondary roads and back highways when we travel. We have made it from east coast to west coast on back highways. We see more and feel safer.

Good Luck
MC
Old 11-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #61

The last time I drove from Las Vegas to Caldwell, Idaho I had 2 truckers ake bad passes on 2 Lane with miles of clearance if they had just waited a few seconds. I had to brake hard for them to cut in. On my just completed 2400 mile trip from Washington to Texas several truckers cut into my lane too quickly when freeway passing and I had to brake for them. Yes the average trucker driving expertise has deteriorated and it's scary at times.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:02 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
Am I the only person who has noticed the change in truck drivers on interstates in the last few years, I've had several close calls involving trucks either cutting me off or almost hitting me as they pass, one truck pulled over in front of me going down a long hill in tenn, maybe ten ft, and then hitting the jake and brakes forcing me to change lanes almost hitting a car, it's getting bad enough i'm planning on getting a dash cam to protect myself in case of a incident, and it may get worse the desperation for truck drivers is getting huge and I fear the training time will get reduced as companies become more desperate for drivers.
I carry and maintain my CDL even after retirement and don't remember it being this crazy.
I know truckers dont like RVers, but this has gone beyond that, it's just stupidity, via the lack of proper training and poor attitude.

Don Young
2000American Eagle
2015 Silverado (towed)
Now that people are returning to their lives from the self-induced pandemic-mania there are more vehicles than ever on the roads. Congestion is worse.

The biggest problem I see in California is the narrowing of lanes on the interstates and other urban highways. The lanes are so narrow now that the trucks can't pass slower vehicles in the Number 1 lane by moving into the Number 2 lane. My mirrors often line up with the lane stripes. The trucks simply do not have enough room on many roads, period. I had my side mirror whacked off by another RV trying to pass on my left but the lanes were too narrow for us to be alongside each other.

It's the Transportation Departments' fault for trying to add an additional lane to existing highways. They try to create a carpool lane or an additional lane by cutting down the width of all the lanes. The highway planners should at least leave the #1 lane (Right lane for slower vehicles) wider for the large trucks when they cut down the width of the other lanes.

Overall, I still find truckers to be excellent and courteous drivers. Many people in passenger cars, not so much. They don't put themselves in the shoes of the truckers, needing more distance to get up to speed or slow down. They act like trucks (and all oversize or large vehicles) can be as responsive as their personal passenger vehicle.
dtucker300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:10 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalGerBrit View Post
My experience is that the truckers are by far the safest and most courteous drivers anywhere. I intentionally tuck in line with other truckers when I can. Maybe they are courteous to me since I am sort of one of them driving a 43ft TC pulling a trailer with a Hummer on it. Maybe truckers are not as nice in all areas of the country? A regional thing?
I agree with you. I have found that most of the truckers are safe and return the respect I give them. Most of the time, I am just as long as they are and we get along just fine. The closest we have come to accidents while in our MH were the fault of inconsiderate 4 wheelers who think the road is for their personal use. The truth is that the interstate highways were built for interstate commerce. IMHO, truckers have far more benefit to our society than any RV or passenger vehicle.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:13 PM   #64

Have you seen the typical truck driver at rest stops today? Scary, most do not appear to even have a high school education.
Hayes Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
Am I the only person who has noticed the change in truck drivers on interstates in the last few years, I've had several close calls involving trucks either cutting me off or almost hitting me as they pass, one truck pulled over in front of me going down a long hill in tenn, maybe ten ft, and then hitting the jake and brakes forcing me to change lanes almost hitting a car, it's getting bad enough i'm planning on getting a dash cam to protect myself in case of a incident, and it may get worse the desperation for truck drivers is getting huge and I fear the training time will get reduced as companies become more desperate for drivers.
I carry and maintain my CDL even after retirement and don't remember it being this crazy.
I know truckers dont like RVers, but this has gone beyond that, it's just stupidity, via the lack of proper training and poor attitude.

Don Young
2000American Eagle
2015 Silverado (towed)

I’ve had a CDL for over 20 years and worked at a tractor dealership and some of this drivers can’t even back up to a loading dock on some occasions I’ve back the semi for them. Don’t know how they got a drivers license.
Hdfooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:18 PM   #66

My daughter was rear ended while stopped at red light by commercial driver.. she was 24yrs old just bought her first new car just out of college..
He was Russian.. he left the country.. leaving the police and insurance company with out explanation...
She has life long injuries now.. company said he has cdl.. and Ohio driver's license but could not speak English...
I hope if I ever, GOD forbid, cause an accident... I can just flee the country.. and leave
everyone holding the bag..
Good luck.. because if a foreigner truck drive hits you.... you will never find them.. good luck.. is what you are going to need..

Also.. I think.. it's a good legal move for trucking industry... hire foreigners.. if they get into a wreck.. they can just flee country.. and claim they can't speak English..
No points like the rest of us get.. no higher insurance rates.. like the rest of us get.. no going to prison... like the rest of us get...
Smart move to hire foreigners..

Maybe someone should put a stop to it.. no.. Will not happen..
Old 11-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #67

I agree whole heartedly. I said something similar to my wife recently. I recall when truck drivers were considered professional because of their training and experience on the road. Now it seems they are willing to put anyone on the road and pay by the mile so they are incented to go as fast as they can to increase their hourly rate. I don't believe this creates a safe situation for anyone.
johns928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #68

35 plus years as an owner operator. Over 1million miles w/o a chargeable accident. Drivers today are being pushed by companies to make the maximum miles in the time alloted. Electronic logs make drivers "push it". As company drivers they don't have much of a say in operations. BUT.... when it comes to safety not enough of them speak up. You would also be surprised at how many drivers English is not their primary language. Government is now talking about 18 year old drivers!!!! Only thing I can say is I drive 5 to 7 miles below speed limit watch my mirrors and expect the unexpected.
Napoleon818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:46 PM   #69

I noticed increased aggressive driving by independent truckers this summer on interstates between FL & WI. I actually had two cut me off in less than 10 minutes. In both cases I had to take quick measures to prevent a collision as they cut too tight from the middle lane to the right lane. In both cases it was after a construction delay & I guessed it may have made them late for a delivery & they were trying to make up time recklessly.
Old 11-11-2021, 03:46 PM   #70

Sorry about your daughter. From experience seems that company's domiciled in Illinois employ a lot of non English-speaking drivers.
Napoleon818 is offline   Reply With Quote