Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2019, 07:07 PM   #57

If they built them with explosive bolts, it would be a lot easier.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #58

No not with out destroying unit
McFord94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #59

No it is not possible.
BonnieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #60

My first reaction was why do you want to do this, I think it would be better to add access panels that the manufacture should have installed but didn't. Did you ever watch some of the videos of a Class A, C or trailer for that matter once they have gone over on their side.... not much left when they go. At times I'm surprised that they hold together when the exceed the posted national speed limit. Consider that these RV today are basically a unibody and the structural integrity depends on all components working as one.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:35 PM   #61

Our rig == 1997 Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle.

On our travels around Central and South America, we saw 'tray-backs', a complete full-time camper box mounted to a flat-bed on a commercial truck. This version of ExpeditionVehicle adds versatility since/because/as the vehicle can be used for purposes other than a dedicated Living Quarters.

However...

During our years as Perfessional RV Delivery people, we observed the construction of motorhomes. The 'frame' is thin tube, as flexible as noodles. We stood next to a frame while it was lifted by a forklift...

...the forks lifted the frame to our eye-level before the ends left the floor, and the frame ends sparked across the concrete as they wobbled enroute to the next workstation.

So, my answer is "You could... but..."
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:33 PM   #62

Construction process of each of these boxes is unique per model so you have to talk to factory folks or a repairman who has accumulated enough experience with a particular model. But interestingly I had toyed with a custom approach to RVing as well, basically creating a modular rig, where you get a frame rail vehicle like they do for commercial box trucks and then install a removable box for RVing and then remove and replace with a Box or Bus body for secondary use! One could even use a trailer body attached to a truck bed or rails! Would be a nice way to multifunction these major investments for those of us who do not stay in em for extended periods! If you do decide to build one of these, there is a company that makes removable boxes which in essence have four legs that can lift the box off the rails!

As to lifting a class A, B or C body off the frame, there are so so many things that run between the boxes and attached under the rig like tanks, gray and black, lp, and then there are the wires running willy-nilly oh engine heat running into the cab etc etc etc might as well just individually attack each issue you need to repair. The class A has a floor in the cabin then boxes on rail and then a second bottom covering the boxes etc. Some rigs have a huge sheet under to cover every thing for smoother air flow for better mpg! If you don't have the metal and have a fabric as some older rigs had, that is another strange weak point. The logic sold was that the fabric lets the moisture escape from the floor!
Old 01-28-2019, 12:28 AM   #63

Send a message via Skype™ to VocalVirgo
The answer to your question: Absolute Hard No. Full Stop. Never Think about this again. No.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:32 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65 View Post
I do not know if anyone has experience in this, however, I propose the question that could be useful.

According to your judgment, in our motorhomes (I mean only of class A) is it possible to separate the living unit from the chassis to perform good maintenance, especially to the chassis?

I managed to do a lot of things, working under, but there are so many points where it's hard to get there.

What do you think?
I think you might be on to something there but the house part would have to be built with a separate floor for integrity, but have you considered rolling it upside down so that you can work on the underside with the wheels pointing to the sky? Then just have the insurance company buy you a new one when you realize that motorhomes were specifically designed in a way that certain things cannot be fixed. Just kidding. I was under mie just yesterday trying to figure out how to replace a fuel line. still stumped on that one and I am a full time rv tech. Thats right I have a full time job just working on my rv. I should pay me.
johnnorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:48 AM   #65

I respond to the serious people who have no time to lose in sweets and treats...

Our RV unfortunately were not designed for easy and frequent maintenance.

Just an example, to be short: suppose you realize that the compressed air tanks begin to rust, what do you do?

Considering how they are assembled it's very difficult to work around to remove the rust and give us a coat of paint.

In the same way there are many points where even a cat would struggle to pass.

Maintenance is a very serious matter, you can not go around with a 15-ton monster and a rough maintenance.

Risks of killing yourself and others.

Is the concept clear?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gatto pescatore 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	233260  
Tony65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:32 AM   #66

Send a message via Skype™ to VocalVirgo
Quote:
I respond to the serious people who have no time to lose in sweets and treats...

Our RV unfortunately were not designed for easy and frequent maintenance.

Just an example, to be short: suppose you realize that the compressed air tanks begin to rust, what do you do?

Considering how they are assembled it's very difficult to work around to remove the rust and give us a coat of paint.

In the same way there are many points where even a cat would struggle to pass.

Maintenance is a very serious matter, you can not go around with a 15-ton monster and a rough maintenance.

Is the concept clear?

We all understand what you're saying- the "concept" is not lost on us. WE ALL KNOW WHAT YOU'RE ASKING. But we are all telling you NO, it is not possible, but you don't want to hear it.
It's not the answer you want, but it is 100% accurate.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:48 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You don't remove the body of a car to work on the engine or the drive train now do you? You don't normally pick up a house to work on the foundation. A motorhome chassis is the foundation. At some point logic has to override fantasy.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:26 AM   #68

Quote:

Is the concept clear?
Well, since you bring up a specific example, I would put the RV up on very high capacity jack stands and bring a sandblaster hose in to completely clean the compressed air tanks. I would then air blow all the sand out of every crevice and repaint the tanks.

Having done the above, it takes about three hours. It's a somewhat nasty job, but anytime you bring out a sandblaster it is. You can purchase a low capacity sand blaster rig from Harbor Freight for $200. You can rent a high capacity air compressor from any rental store (and the blaster too). To do this job with a wire wheel would triple the time and not get to all nooks and crannys but it could do the job as well.

One must be a little limber and svelte to contort one self into the spaces to get access. If this is a problem, then hire out to a $20 / hr laborer that is capable enough not to sandblast electronics and soft hoses etc. Or, bring the RV to a truck rebuilding place and have them do the whole thing for you. If you are near Michigan, I have a friend's place that would do it.

This is a trivial work compared to what your are asking.

With regards to safety, the jack stands are your friends. A solid work surface is required. A good mechanical understanding is a must.

But lifting the chassis to do same project is many months of work incremental to the above. Once you lift it, you would end up doing the same sandblast / paint. And the safety risk is far higher to do what you are asking then to lift and fix the existing RV.

If you are looking at this to make the chassis "as good as new", then you would do same for the entire underbody. I did much of this on the Bounder. Not all in one time. Anytime I was underneath for an upgrade or repair procedure, I would clean and paint that area. Eventually I got to most of it.

So, I understand the dream. But for the RV manufacturer to design the vehicle with this new requirement in place would have to completely compromise the amenities like baggage compartments, places to put wet tanks, rigidity of the structure to allow for slides, and many other.

Completely not worth the cost and issues both to design for the maintenance requirement and for what actual savings there would be (very minimal).

Sounds like you like to DIY a bit yourself. Have you gotten underneath your RV and looked to see what would be involved? How would the baggage compartments clear the chassis rails? What would have to be cut to give access? Just that one item alone is a ton of work and the repairs to address the cuts later are very significant and would compromise the integrity and give rust a great place to really do it's thing.

Sure, anything is possible. Not practical by any means and the nut that would try it would have some high grade fabrication skills to pull it off that could be paid good money doing something more practical that would pay for the new RV.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:39 AM   #69

Tony,
I cannot imagine why one would ever need to disassemble the coach from the frame, but I'm sure you are looking at a monumental task in time, effort and money. The older units are built much better than the newer ones. Trading out your unit for one more suitable would be the answer here. Unless you have a million dollars+to spend, you're going to have some kind of issue with a Class A unit regardless of make or model. There are always some issues with everything that you may own or want to buy. They say money solves problems. A class A motorhome is built like a house. One doesn't usually tear down a home that has issue unless what you are building in its place will increase in value. We're not talking real estate here. You can't win the equity game with a motorhome or any other vehicle. My suggestion is to find the most comfortable couch that you own, lie down on it until this feeling passes. Truly!
FBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gramps- View Post
You don't remove the body of a car to work on the engine or the drive train now do you? You don't normally pick up a house to work on the foundation. A motorhome chassis is the foundation. At some point logic has to override fantasy.
Yes, if you have a Ford Diesel Pick Up you do.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis