Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2017, 06:00 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Septic smell in bedroom-solved!

We own a 2006 Monaco Camelot, new to us a year ago. While camping for the weekend without a septic hookup, I notice a septic smell in the rear of the MH after 4 days. I checked outside, and no smells were being sucked in by the fans. I thought it might be lingering 'natural' gas, but the smell persisted. I dumped some Pine-Sol in the toilet, but no change. I was thinking a dead animal, so I started sniffing in cabinets. It seemed stronger in the closet over the washer...

Yup, since we don't use the washer, the anti-freeze in the drain trap had dried and allowed gas from the gray water to enter the closet, and since our campfire had set off the smoke detector earlier that evening, we had all the exhaust fans running, with only few windows open on the opposite side from the fire. The fans were sucking enough to get reverse flow through the gray water vent and into the bedroom. A quick fill and drain of the washer took care of the problem! Who would have thought?
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 06:17 AM   #2

After many trips and the occasional oder issue now my first step after parking is to run a little water down each of the sinks and shower drain. It's amazing how bad grey water smells.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

There is a one way breather valve in our closet in the pipes.. if that leaks that will allow the smell to escape.. its like a 2" breather
Old 07-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidrvr View Post
There is a one way breather valve in our closet in the pipes.. if that leaks that will allow the smell to escape.. its like a 2" breather
It's called an "Air Admittance Valve"

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...FUQjgQodAJAByg
Old 07-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the heads-up!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #6

Adding a 360 vent pipe cover will keep the smell out even if your trap dries out. The 360 creates negative pressure in your tanks and keeps the fumes drawn out the roof. The anti siphon, or air admittance valve can go bad but is easy to replace. The valve usually just screws on and is easy to find at hardware and plumbing supply houses.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #7

If you dont use the washer once in awhile the trap dries out so periodically run a cycle in the washer whether you throw clothes in it or not

Tags
smell