Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

"Serivce Engine Soon" Light

I have a 2000 fleetwood bounder with triton V-10 engine. While starting it one time over the winter, the "Service Engine Soon" light came on.
At the same time, the overdrive light was blinking but when I put it in gear the light went off and the overdrive has been working fine ever since. I figured that the blinking overdrive light was the result the cold New England winter we had this past year. However, the "Service Enginer Soon" is still on. The engine is running fine and is performing as normal. Is there anyway to determine what the fault is without a diagnostic tool? Has anyone had this problem?
Capree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
There are so many warning lights on vehicles now. The Check Engine light, the Service Engine Soon light, etc and each one mean something different. The most common one I've run into is a loose or worn out gas cap.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #3

In the past I have had AutoZone read the codes (free) in our vehicles. They may read the codes in your RV. I finally purchased one from them. I think NAPA also reads them for free.

Paul
Old 06-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploiselle View Post
In the past I have had AutoZone read the codes (free) in our vehicles. They may read the codes in your RV. I finally purchased one from them. I think NAPA also reads them for free.

Paul
Ditto, They won't erase the codes but if you hold it (reader) for a minute you can erase codes and then see if they come back..to verify there presents...its free
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:15 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Check out all your fuses that are for the engine/cab. You might be find the culprit is just a blown fuse.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

"Service Soon" means just that. The problem is not critical, but it does requite a repair (service). Many emissions control problems fall into that category. There should be a stored code that gives further information and your chassis manual may tell you how you can read the code yourself via blinking dash lights. Or go to a store as others have suggested.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take it to someone that knows what there doing. AutoZone has parts people not techs, there in the business to sell parts not to fix your car. If they read a code that says O2 sensor reading low, they will sell you a O2 sensor. Remember it said it was reading low so fix the reason it's reading low, the O2 sensor is doing it's job. But all they see is O2 sensor so thats what they sell you.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #8

Service engine light could be as simple as due an oil change -- on my Workhorse, there's a method to turn it off - I think turn the key on, depress the accelerator three times and then turn the key off. Could also be emissions problem. My experience has been is if it's not running rough, it's minor like emissions or the light needs re-set. The last Ford I had that was running rough required a new coil assembly - had that one taken to a mechanic who did the computer check and determined the problem.
Lynxgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote