Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2022, 02:15 PM   #1

Serpentine Belt

Hey folks. I would appreciate some insight regarding a serpentine belt if you wouldn’t mind sharing.
1. Is there a time frame or mileage recommendation for changing the belt.
2. I have a 2016 Tiffin Pheaton with 36,000 miles and 380 desiel engine. This model has a radiator in front of where I believe the belt would be at the rear so I am guessing I have to access the belt through the access panel in the floor of the master bath. I have heard the installation is something I should be able to do but I was wondering if anyone else has done it from inside and can confirm that it’s not something that requires advanced knowledge or tools to perform the work.
The idea of being towed for something I should be able to do and of a mechanic having to crawl all around the bed and bathroom is what I’d like to avoid. Thanking any who reply in advance. Your input is always helpful and appreciated.
Slateous is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2022, 02:47 PM   #2

50-100K miles .It would definitely be a good idea to inspect or possibly change the the belt and spin all the pulleys. Way too free spinning ,can show bearing seals loose and bearing grease getting dried out on idler and tensioner . Some tensioners have marks to show belt wear and when they stretched too much and tensioner dampening will let it start to bounce. Look for bouncing at tensioner with it running first. Serpentine belts last a very long time mostly get damaged by bad idler pulley tensioner or other seized rotational item like alternator, AC compressor ect, maybe a crazy thrown rock getting stuck in pulley. Take good pics if no diagram. Get quality belt like Gates. Most important don't bust up anything else doing the work, few times I paid to cars repaired like exhaust they always seem to jack something up, not saying I haven't over the years as well but I have a way better record than when I paid.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slateous View Post
Hey folks. I would appreciate some insight regarding a serpentine belt if you wouldn’t mind sharing.
1. Is there a time frame or mileage recommendation for changing the belt.
2. I have a 2016 Tiffin Pheaton with 36,000 miles and 380 desiel engine. This model has a radiator in front of where I believe the belt would be at the rear so I am guessing I have to access the belt through the access panel in the floor of the master bath. I have heard the installation is something I should be able to do but I was wondering if anyone else has done it from inside and can confirm that it’s not something that requires advanced knowledge or tools to perform the work.
The idea of being towed for something I should be able to do and of a mechanic having to crawl all around the bed and bathroom is what I’d like to avoid. Thanking any who reply in advance. Your input is always helpful and appreciated.
I have not done this on a rear radiator coach (and don't want to!). However, I'd suggest you sign up for Cummins Quickserv, find the service interval for the belt, and either follow it or do it a bit in advance if you're worried about it.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:04 PM   #4

Somewhere here is a write-up by an owner replacing their belt themselves. Holding the belt in-place on the pulleys while underneath routing the belt onto the tensioner was his trouble spot. He solved keeping the belt on pulleys near the top by taping them on with duck tape while underneath running the belt over low pulleys and the tensioner.

IMO one should carry a spare belt, when a running belt breaks you lose all power steering.
When the belt is replaced,

That said, my spare belt is now 9 years old.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:12 PM   #5

As someone said they are typically good for 50,000 to 100,000 miles, but they do also deteriorate with age. You are not near either limit but if you are at all concerned change it. Then keep the old one as a spare. Personally I would have a good look at it and if it was in good shape - I would just buy one and put it in my toolbox as a spare. I just changed mine (rear radiator coach) but I was fixing a fried alternator at the same time. It is enough work that if I was doing anything at all that required removing the belt I would replace it even if it looked to be in perfect condition. The advice not to break anything else in the process is excellent. Getting at the various pullies, tensioners etc. is not easy when trying to do it from inside the coach through whatever is in the way in the bedroom. Easy to step on or lean on something fragile and break it.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Do a search for video's for changing a belt on a rear radiator rig. My guess is there will be several to choose from. Watch a couple and see if it is something you think you can tackle.

I'd suggest making a diagram as to how your current belt is routed.

Check to see what size square size you need that fits in the tensioner to release the tension.
Then just follow the lead on the best video you found.

If you are successful save the old belt as a spare, make some notes on how you did it, and make sure to carry the correct drive to be able to change.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:20 PM   #7

Hers is my related story.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/serp...nt-559741.html
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:07 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
...I'd suggest making a diagram as to how your current belt is routed...
Good advice, plus some pictures.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:12 PM   #9

Serpentine Belt

Thanks again to those who responded. Very good insight and advice. Going to try to open up the access opening this week and see what’s in store for me. So grateful for this site and those who share.

Safe travels this year.
Slateous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:17 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine broke at about 27K miles due to an alternator that froze up breaking the belt. So I replaced it and got a second one for a spare that I carry. I know I can change the belt pretty much anywhere with a bit of time, so that's all I care about!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:24 PM   #11

I have replaced one on my old 2012 Phaeton and have one suggestion that may apply to your 2016 as well. Once you remove the belt, don't remove your breaker bar from the tensioner. There may be a frame bracket that makes it impossible to retract the bracket if it is fully extended. You may have to pry on the belt over the tensioner in order to position the tensioner where it will accept your breaker bar. You probably have to see the setup for this to make sense. If your belt is already broken, you will have to do this the hard way.