Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #1

Serpentine belt broke.

Two weeks ago while returning from Western Maryland the serpentine belt on our 2009 Itasca Horizon broke. Warning was high temperatures on coolant and warning on Freightliner dash. Engine is Cummins 8.9 ISL. Stopped rig immediately and called Good Sam Roadside assistance. They promptly got a huge tow truck to us from H & M Truck Service Frederick MD. Thank you to Dale who carefully attached and towed our rig to H & M
Belt had 42,000 miles on it. Damage was to fan clutch and wiring. Repair was over $2,500. Cost of belt was $ 90.00
Advice is to have serpent belt visually inspected annually
Great service from H&M
marksheinkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 07:45 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did that last oil change & had a new belt put on! The age just like your tires, rubber under heat will in time begin to show cracks & will fail at some point! Sorry it cost you so much damage..Wow!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Mine on previous coach broke when the alternator froze up, but thankfully didn't do any other damage. Thanks to side radiator, my neighbor and I were able to change out both belt and alternator in my driveway - no towing needed.

Have a rear radiator on current coach -- next one won't be so easy!
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #4

RV is like a boat " A hole in the ocean where you throw money"[emoji41]
marksheinkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Seems like a lot of repairs for a broken belt, even if it is a rear radiator instead of side. One advantage of side radiator units is they have practically nothing on that belt and little near by to get damaged. No clutch there either.

Definitely check that belt at every oil change, even if it is hard to see (rear rad units).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksheinkopf View Post
Two weeks ago while returning from Western Maryland the serpentine belt on our 2009 Itasca Horizon broke. Warning was high temperatures on coolant and warning on Freightliner dash. Engine is Cummins 8.9 ISL. Stopped rig immediately and called Good Sam Roadside assistance. They promptly got a huge tow truck to us from H & M Truck Service Frederick MD. Thank you to Dale who carefully attached and towed our rig to H & M
Belt had 42,000 miles on it. Damage was to fan clutch and wiring. Repair was over $2,500. Cost of belt was $ 90.00
Advice is to have serpent belt visually inspected annually
Great service from H&M
Some other advice is for having one on board, that you know will work, like our original and hopefully will be able to change it myself, saving a lot of trouble and expense.
Just having one should save a lot, by calling a mobile mechanic and assuming that one doesn't do any of their own work.
Naturally if there's other damage this could vary widely.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Some other advice is for having one on board, that you know will work....Naturally if there's other damage this could vary widely.
I completely agree. I had to have my radiator removed last year so that it could be professionally cleaned and boiled out. I had my mechanic replace all belts and hoses at the same time, even though my current set were only a few years old. I saved all of the removed belts and hoses and carry them on board. This should save some time and money if any of them fail in the future while traveling.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Mine on previous coach broke when the alternator froze up, but thankfully didn't do any other damage.... !
Same thing that happened to me. Did do the new alternator and belt using my shop, and no other damage. Generally belts don't just break--they are broken by something.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
Same thing that happened to me. Did do the new alternator and belt using my shop, and no other damage. Generally belts don't just break--they are broken by something.
You're right about the breakage and many will have the ac compressor freeze up. I did see an engine with a separate belt for the compressor and thought it a good idea, but then again and like you, it'd probably be the alternator to fail and freeze.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #10

Yup--welcome to the wonderful world of rear-radiator maintenance--friend of mine had a late model Tiffin product with a r/r. He had an alternator freeze up--Cummins did the work but the labor bill was over $2000.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Yup--welcome to the wonderful world of rear-radiator maintenance--friend of mine had a late model Tiffin product with a r/r. He had an alternator freeze up--Cummins did the work but the labor bill was over $2000.....
Ouch!! and one has to admit and if nothing else, it's sure nice to look at your engine running back there, with what it might be doing or not doing, rather than having your view blocked by a radiator.
In the case you mentioned, with doing it yourself, a side radiator would help tremendously and for doing the work in a campground. Even a mobile mechanic, wouldn't charge that kind of labor.
Certainly a deal breaker for me, with any DP purchase.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I would agree in regards to only considering a Coach with a side radiator after owning one and working on friends with rear radiators. Soooo painful to work on rear radiator rigs and the radiators get much dirtier much quicker.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
It might be a good idea to follow up and see if there is a second belt on your engine. If so, I'd replace it immediately. I'd also want to know what brand belt they installed. The new Gates HD belts with kevlar are a great option.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Seems like a lot of repairs for a broken belt, even if it is a rear radiator instead of side. One advantage of side radiator units is they have practically nothing on that belt and little near by to get damaged. No clutch there either.

Definitely check that belt at every oil change, even if it is hard to see (rear rad units).
Gary,
You should check out the newer side radiator coaches (2014+). Many have a belt driven clutch fan that runs over a jack shaft and 90 degree gear box...