Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #1

Serrano vs Class A Sprinter Based

We have sold our Airstream trailer and are planning on getting a small class a diesel current thinking is either a Serrano or a Via/Reyo. Kind of like the idea of the Seraano because we loved our Thor built AS. Also like the extra room and V8. However, we are not planning on towing so the smaller Sprinter based Via also has appeal. We would love any feed back on what to beware of.
Also any feedback on central Florida RV dealers to favor or avoid from both a sales and most importantly service prespective
rtdavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #2

Can you put stabilizers on a Reyo? I was under the impression (built up from reading and from the apparent lack of the option on the Winnebago specs for the Reyo) that you couldn't put them on a Sprinter chassis. Which would be a big downcheck on what otherwise appears to be a quite interesting option.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #3

Make sure you check out storage capacity both internal and external. Also check out the kitchen and does one sink work for you. I like the idea of a Sprinter based unit but I like a bit more space and storage.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #4

The Serrano certainly has more space and more feature like a leveling system. My concern is some issues with QC on the buildout side that Winnie does not seem to have. On the other side of the coin I would think maint. on any MB based unit could get exspensive. At the end of the day it is going to come down to performance. As we will be testing in central Fl it is going to hard to evaluate how either unit will handle out west on winding mountain roads.
rtdavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdavew
We have sold our Airstream trailer and are planning on getting a small class a diesel current thinking is either a Serrano or a Via/Reyo. Kind of like the idea of the Seraano because we loved our Thor built AS. Also like the extra room and V8. However, we are not planning on towing so the smaller Sprinter based Via also has appeal. We would love any feed back on what to beware of.
Also any feedback on central Florida RV dealers to favor or avoid from both a sales and most importantly service prespective
I would recommend if you're looking to buy a sprinter you go to a Mercedes Benz dealer inquire on buying a sprinter van you will learn more than any RV dealer could tell you about the vehicle which would help you decide on purchasing.
Bris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #6

Serrano vs Sprinter

We started with a Winnie View. Kept it for one year and traded for the Serrano. Why the trade? You have to be comfortable in an RV both traveling and when stopped. The Sprinter rode like what it is - a converted delivery van. The seats were only comfortable for a couple hundred miles and it was very noisy inside going down the road. On the other hand, it was very easy to drive. But I like to do 500 mile days here out west and the Sprinter was just too darned uncomfortable to ride in that long.

View over the Serrano:
Quality, quality, quality. Nothing ever broke in the Winnie. It never leaked. Everything worked as advertised. Maneuverability. You could put that thing anywhere easily. It was like driving a large van.

Serrano over the View:
Ride quality. Less noise, less bounce, better seats, less wind noise. Storage. The Sprinter models have incredibly little storage area. We had to carry our golf clubs in the shower! Serrano has tons of storage area. Bedroom. We finally decided that we were getting too old to either climb a ladder into a little space or fold down a bed every night. Living room. The ability to turn the cab seats around and make the cab part of the living area is a big deal. Didn't think it would be, but it is.

Last thoughts: I think that Winnie & others are really pushing the power and weight limits of the Sprinter chassis. You could tell in how hard the engine worked, how little carrying capacity you had, and how hard the suspension banged going down the road. Winnie has since introduced the class A version (the Via) where they concentrated on getting the weight down and the comfort level up. Storage is still a concern, but it is better. If you decide to go the Sprinter route, I'd drive the Via before making up your mind.
TexasSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
ehc

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
yahoo.com has a dedicated Via/Reyo group, they will be able to answer your questions about adding levelers, if nobody here can provide the info. Pay close attention to the OCCC, it is limited and easy to exceed. Will you be comfortable within those constraints. The "T" model has lots of storage but if you fill it up you can easily exceed OCCC. I know several people who are very happy with their rigs and can easily live within its lilmits. Good luck in your search.
ehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serrano