Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #1

Service Contract on 2015 Tiffin?

Hey ya'll...I'm new around here (and new to RV'ing!)

My wife and I are buying a 2015 Tiffin Allegro RED with about 10k miles on it from a dealer. It is going through a thorough pre-delivery inspection and any mechanical issues will be repaired.

I'm (obviously) being offered an extended warranty/service contract, but don't know if it's necessary or not. It's not cheap, obviously...5 year contract is $11k.

We will be full-timing...about 15,000 miles a year or so is my estimate. The coach has an Allison Trans and Cummins Diesel. Generator has 100hrs.

All in all the coach appears to be in great shape - is a warranty a good idea? What are your thoughts?

Also, how negotiable do you think these contracts are, if we do decide to go with it?

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie and soon to be full timer! I'm flying blind right now
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #2

A lot of people on here can't sleep well unless they have an ESC. I've never had one and never will. Set the $11,000 in the bank or some investment that makes sense. A service contract on a three year old coach with 10,000 miles is a lousy investment.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
A lot of people on here can't sleep well unless they have an ESC. I've never had one and never will. Set the $11,000 in the bank or some investment that makes sense. A service contract on a three year old coach with 10,000 miles is a lousy investment.
X 2 Service contracts are a big profit maker for the dealer and usually a money loser for the buyer. As suggested put the $11,000 in a bank account and use it for any repairs needed, you'll be money ahead in the end.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
$11k. Wow. And I bet they let you pay for it up front in total and even finance it. What great guys, these dealers...

And I bet they are telling you it covers everything, pays in full, and is honored everywhere. None of which are true...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #5

Mr. Kimball,

I, too, am from the 'put the money in the bank' group. The engine and transmission should be under the balance of a 5 yr. warranty already. All the appliances will have a warranty if not expired yet. $11,000 will pay for a lot of repairs. I personally would hire my own inspector to check the coach out.

When we bought our first coach (New '08 Monaco Dynasty), we were offered a bumper to bumper warranty for $8,000. I took the brochure home, read it cover to cover, and was shocked that it seemed to not cover anything of importance. There were so many stipulations that had to be met for something to be covered.

First, I'm not very good at waiting for approvals having my life dependent on some clerk behind a computer with a guide to say 'no'.

As I mentioned, I think a private inspector will be your best bet and then you can negotiate and unusual findings.

My brother had a '14 Tiffin Allegro RED and now a '15 Allegro Bus. Both have been good with a few normal issues here and there.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #6

I would try contacting wholesale warranty on your own. We didn't buy through the dealer and got a much lower quote.
janniemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by janniemac View Post
I would try contacting wholesale warranty on your own. We didn't buy through the dealer and got a much lower quote.
Times 2 on Wholesale Warranties.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:13 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The two biggest items, the Cummins and the Allison, will have five year and 100k warranties...I'd save my money.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We have owned rvs since 1976 and have had very few problems in that time. WE have spent a little over half that amount on repairs. We have spent a lot on maintenance over those years. I do all my own work. My Dynasty has 106,000 miles and if i last long enough i will put another 100, 000 on it.I vote to bank the money.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:43 AM   #10

Here is the link to the previous 4,110 threads on this topic. Read two or three and you will come to the conclusion that all the threads are the same and that most companies are.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22e...=10&gws_rd=ssl
Old 03-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #11

Thanks!

Thank you so much for all of your feedback! We decided to go with a newer coach (used 2018) which still has 2 year manufacturer warranty, so we are going to pass on the warranty. With the warranty and build quality of a Tiffin (and the fact that we’re already stretching our budget) we decided to opt out of this as we’ve never so much had a claim or need for extended warranty in the 20 ish years my wife and I have owned cars.

We’ll see how this goes, hopefully a good decision!

Tags
service, tiffin