Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #1

Service for a F53 V10 when travelling

Even though I am an experienced RVer with truck campers and 5th wheels, this was only my 2nd year in a motorhome. I have a Class A on a Ford F53 with the V10. This year I went on a long enough trip that I needed to get service done while away. I managed to find a Canadian Tire with a big door and someone willing to crawl under to do it. However I was turned down at several locations before that.
Where do you go to get simple oil/filter/grease while travelling?
MapMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I use Speedco for my DP, I would guess they'd do a Ford V-10 too. Fast, competent and fair. They didn't have my fuel filter in stock, so gave me credit and offered to install one free if I bought it and stop at any Speedco.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I would recommend searching for dealerships where large or commercial trucks are sold and serviced. (Such as a Ford commercial truck dealership.) That's where we took our Bounder for the Ford recall a few months ago, and we will also have future oil changes, etc. done there since it's much cheaper than an RV dealership. (We paid $130.00 for an oil change at an RV dealership, then next time paid $40 at the Ford commercial truck dealership.)

Here's a link to the Ford dealer locator; if you plug in your location zip code and other search parameters, you can find the closest one. Locate a Dealer Search Results | Ford.com
Old 09-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #4

I get mine done at a Ford dealership that does commercial vehicles. $40, oil, filter & lube. At that price I don't even think about doing it myself.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
I get mine done at a Ford dealership that does commercial vehicles. $40, oil, filter & lube. At that price I don't even think about doing it myself.
X2. I just Google "Ford Truck Dealers". I've also used Camping World for a simple oil change.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Community Administrator

I carry 6-7 quarts of 5-20 Motorcraft oil and a filter. If I can't find a Ford dealer , I just go to a truck stop and they change the supplied oil and filter and grease the chassis for about $30.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #7

Sarah, I too have wondered where to get service. not only for oil changes, but for warranty work. I tried your link, but they do not list a Commercial dealer in their list of options. The do list Heavy Truck, but that is totally different from the F53.

I think some of the problem is the fact that the chassis is under a MH. If you look at the VIN number on the F53 it indicates a F550 truck. None of the Ford dealers within 100 miles of me, will touch a MH, even though they service the F550.

As of yet, I have not found a dealer to take my coach to if I have a problem. Something I never thought of when purchasing.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #8

You can call Ford Customer Service at 800-444-3311 and they should be able to provide information as to where you can get your coach serviced.

Good luck and safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
You can call Ford Customer Service at 800-444-3311 and they should be able to provide information as to where you can get your coach serviced.

Good luck and safe travels...
Thanks Jim, will give them a call
Old 09-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #10

Service

Thanks for pointing out this flaw in my MH research. I had not thought of service out on the road.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #11

Thanks to all and Update

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I called Ford and have a dealer about 150 km away in Edmonton that is supposed to be able to handle motorhomes. However there were several identified on the list that on further reading by the Ford Rep had length restrictions and had to be eliminated. There is also a closer dealer that I don't think can handle it. I will personally check out both of them before making an appointment. Since I live in a rural area and Edmonton is the nearest major city this isn't too bad. The problem while on the road however is still real.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #12

I had a similar problem getting service this year when my Ford V10 blew a plug. Even though the Ford dealership had a bay big enough for my rig, they said they couldn't work on big MH's despite having fairly large moving vans in their bay. I checked out a few other garages, GM and Crysler and it was the same. I called around to a few big truck repair facilities and they could get me in, but I would have to wait a day or two. Thankfully, one of them recommended a small garage that did have a bay high enough for my unit and they replaced the plug in about an hour.
So in answer to your question, I would check the yellow pages for truck service companies and start there. Even if you are on the road, you could call ahead to your next destination for an appointment.
Tom312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When travelling some distance from home, we have discovered that there is a wealth of information at the various campgrounds where we are staying at any given time. If the office doesn't have recommendations for a particular service (oil changes included) we ask around and often times run across another RVer with a similar motor home and inquire about the location as to where they get their MH serviced. Usually their suggestion/s are really reliable. Just a thought!

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Sarah, I too have wondered where to get service. not only for oil changes, but for warranty work. I tried your link, but they do not list a Commercial dealer in their list of options. The do list Heavy Truck, but that is totally different from the F53.

I think some of the problem is the fact that the chassis is under a MH. If you look at the VIN number on the F53 it indicates a F550 truck. None of the Ford dealers within 100 miles of me, will touch a MH, even though they service the F550.

As of yet, I have not found a dealer to take my coach to if I have a problem. Something I never thought of when purchasing.
When I searched in the Houston area using the "heavy truck" option, I did get dealerships that would service our Bounder. I had called FoMoCo to ask about dealerships when we got the recall notice back in March as well. Perhaps you should call Ford and see what they say.

Tags
f53, service, v10