Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
In a few months I will be 79. I have done maintenance on my DP since I got it in 2002.
I retired(at 61) and Full Time so I don't need to do it all on the same day.

My DP 5.9L ISB holds only 17 qt and with a fumoto valve I drain into 1 gal containers that makes it easy to get rid of the oil. The filter after getting loose, I put a 1gal zip lock bag over it while taking it off. No mess.

A few days later I may grease the chassis with a air grease gun. That job takes me a while. I do the front then take a rest break. Then do the rear air brake system. Then take a rest break. Then finish up with the drive line and rear jack zerks. Wore out jeans & T-shirt used to do it goes into the trash bag(winter spot is on grass area).

A few days later I may do the 2 fuel filters. Later sometime maybe the Air Dryer filters when due. And changing the transmission fluid & filters may take me around 1 hour when that is due.

When due I change the Jacks fluid, front hubs fluid, rear end fluid, power steering fluid, radiator antifreeze(Last time I did have Gaffney change it as I had them change the thermostat at the same time). I have also replaced both AC units with bigger units when old ones quit, water heater, and most everything else that needed replaced on the house or chassis.

I know that everything was done right when I do it. And I can do it all at my 7 month winter spot. I could write a check out to someone else to do it all. But I still enjoy doing it. And I probable saved a few thousand $$$$ over the last 15 years in labor.

OH!! Almost forgot, I also do all the maintenance on the generator.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I found these cool places that change oil for me!
All they want is money.
It's a fair trade.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrhino View Post
Do many people service their own diesel pusher normal servicing oil filter fuel filter air dryer etc. how difficult is this?

I'm now 70 and have been full time for ten years in my now 14 year old coach. After the first year, I have done all the regular maintenance and repair myself. I used Speedco on one occasion and was pleased.

I had no previous experience or knowledge other than I have always been a DIY kind of guy. I like knowing what's going on with the coach and looking things over regularly can only be a good thing.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
In a few months I will be 79. I have done maintenance on my DP since I got it in 2002.
I retired(at 61) and Full Time so I don't need to do it all on the same day.

My DP 5.9L ISB holds only 17 qt and with a fumoto valve I drain into 1 gal containers that makes it easy to get rid of the oil. The filter after getting loose, I put a 1gal zip lock bag over it while taking it off. No mess.

A few days later I may grease the chassis with a air grease gun. That job takes me a while. I do the front then take a rest break. Then do the rear air brake system. Then take a rest break. Then finish up with the drive line and rear jack zerks. Wore out jeans & T-shirt used to do it goes into the trash bag(winter spot is on grass area).

A few days later I may do the 2 fuel filters. Later sometime maybe the Air Dryer filters when due. And changing the transmission fluid & filters may take me around 1 hour when that is due.

When due I change the Jacks fluid, front hubs fluid, rear end fluid, power steering fluid, radiator antifreeze(Last time I did have Gaffney change it as I had them change the thermostat at the same time). I have also replaced both AC units with bigger units when old ones quit, water heater, and most everything else that needed replaced on the house or chassis.

I know that everything was done right when I do it. And I can do it all at my 7 month winter spot. I could write a check out to someone else to do it all. But I still enjoy doing it. And I probable saved a few thousand $$$$ over the last 15 years in labor.

OH!! Almost forgot, I also do all the maintenance on the generator.
Outstanding Triker,
My outlook and operation is darned close to yours and I'm even behind you by a few years, gonna be 65 in a couple of months, YEOW! While the "fun-ness" is almost beginning to dwindle, it is still there and, like you, I know for certain that things are done right, THE FIRST TIME! But, as with anything, it's a matter of choice, ability, tools, a nice place to perform any work and more. I'd like to have a lift for my coach so I don't have to creep around on my high speed creeper and get my fat body under it but, pretty sure that's not going to happen. I do what I can do, when I can't or, the fun factor is completely gone, then it's time to pay or, quit RVing. We'll see.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Servicing Diesel Pusher

Got all you guys beat! I'm 80, and have been performing all my maintenance (except alignment, tire change) since purchase of my Meridian in 2003. Nothing that difficult or complicated. But then, I spent 27 years in my other life maintaining aircraft.

Lost a fan bearing, had coach towed to house and changed fan hub, etc myself. Saved $$$

My only advice is, if you feel you can do it, give it a go, but be sure you know what you are doing!
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I just turned 72 and am still doing my own maintenance. i do all fluid changes, lube, air dryer including the Onan genset. Sometimes it is a pain crawling underneath, but after I get into it and get going, I see $$$ not being spent elsewhere. There are some things I have to leave to Freightliner, such as valve adjustments and dash a/c repair.

On the "house" side, I do all my own repairs, maintenance. I am a general contractor, mostly retired now, but I just consider the motorhome a house on wheels and the systems aren't all that different. If there is something that does stump me, I have all you wonderful members to help me out as most of you have "been there, done that".
Old 06-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #21

Sounds like someone needs to open a RV Jiffy Lube franchise
Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #22

I used to do all my maintenance, but no longer do so. I buy all the filters/oil and other required items. I have a young strong handy man come to the house and do the work. He rates are very reasonable.

My only other choice is Cummins at $149.00/hour!!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Servicing diesel pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post

That's kinda what Speedco is.

https://www.speedco.com
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
It's called Speedco!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
While I spent 16+ years in the Army twisting wrench's on diesels, I'd rather pay someone else to do it now. Rater the pay the BIG$$$'s at Freightliner or Cummins for a service, check in your local area for an independent heavy truck service center. Where we live in western New York I pay a $75 per hour labor rate to have our unit worked on. While in Buffalo NY 75 miles away the rate is $125 per hr.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Servicing diesel pusher

Something to consider:

One thing always on my mind was, even though you are at a reputable service center, you "know" they always put their most qualified technician on the lube jobs.

When I do the lube myself I know which zerks took grease or not, and my checklist ensures I didn't miss one. Time spent under the beast allows me to snoop around and look at general condition of things.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:01 AM   #27

I change all the filters and Onan oil, but not the main engine oil. If I wasn't full timing then I probably would. Used to use Speedco, but I hate waiting. When in TX I call Robert (Mobile Lube) 866-785-8237, He comes to me and is the same price as Speedco.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #28

I have a truck service center do the chassis maintenance, but if the service manager is out front, the tech will let me go to "school" on him and let me watch. I am learning fast, but not sure I want to crawl around underneath the beast.

Question: I was thinking of changing the air filter (man, those buggers are expensive!), but don't I run the risk of getting dust in the turbo, not being experienced? Don't want to hijack the thread, so speak up if I should post a separate thread.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel