Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #1

Seven Pin Connector

How many of you guys have added a 7 pin connector? I have an 04' Dolphin on a Workhorse w-22 Chassis. Which connector did you use? Did you install it yourself? Is there one that is just plug and play into the stock wiring harness? I noticed thier was a female connector that looked like i could plug into it... any advice out there?
Ali Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
What brand connector is on your coach now? Are you needing to match a tow plug to your connector?

My connector is a Chrysler make or pin pattern. If you know your pin arrangement, left, right, stop, battery... all you need do is buy a plug that fits you outlet and wire your cord to match it. There is a rack full of connectors and adapters to be had at most auto parts stores, Tractor Supply or anywhere trailer tow supplies can be had.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
HHg

My Phaeton came with the 7 pin, so I had to change up the connector and the wiring on my toad to match......it was nice having the "hot" wire which I used with my Toad Charge (LSL).

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #4

The 7 pin connector is a universal design , and any manufacturer's male or female end will fit others.
For wiring info visit
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

To see if there is a plug and play unit available visit Napa or AutoZone.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
U-Haul or Amazon sells adapters in any combination needed fairly cheaply. We had to buy a 6 pin to 4 pin one when we rented a tow dolly from them in May & saw the other styles on the U-Haul wall.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The workhorse chassis units I've seen came from the factory with a Flat-4,, The Flat-4 has connections for GROUND (The odd pin) Tail lights (next to it) left and right turn/stop (Not sure which order without going to the head.. Yes, there's a chart there (Well a tester is stored there).

The 7 pin adds battery, brakes and "Aux" often back up lights.

What I would do.

I'd start with a flat 4, trailer end and wire it to the 7-pin (All but the ground lead) I'd add a heavy duty (10ga at least) ground, then how I hooked up the rest of the wired would depend on what else I'm replacing, but as much as possible I'd just plug into the existing jack with the "Trailer plug" (The plug that used to plug into it from the trailer or towed)

That way you have not, in any way, changed the wiring on the motor home... And you can "Restore" to original by simply pulling a plug or two.