Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2014, 05:09 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When I flush after dumping, I keep a CLOSE EYE on the tank level. I will generally open to "flush" the flush water when it gets to 50% full. I had 2 neighbors that started gabbing and forgot the water was running into the black tank and caused a BIG mess. Both are seasoned RV'ers. My belief is that the more experienced you get the less you think about the important stuff like this.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #16

I have been RV camping since my late teens and didn't have an accident with the black water tank until last summer. I was teaching my son how to release the black water first and flush followed by the gray tank. We had a new to us coach and need an extension to dump the tank. I purchased it at the camp store (of course twice the price as any other retail chain) and when the I pulled the black valve the connection between the two pipes suddenly released! What a mess! Neighbors were watching the entire thing unfold. We hoses everything down, used soap and then asked the KOA for bleach.

[Moderator Edit] happens!

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamtns View Post
Now I open the gray tank hose just enough to ensure that the hose stays put, close it and then open black tank valve. One experience with spewing liquid nastiness taught me an important lesson.
I read this very same advice on another forum months ago. Wouldn't you know the very first time I put it into practice at the beginning of the season, the campground end of the Rhino let go at the elbow. Fortunately because I was doing it just how you described, it was only grey water (still bad) and I had already closed the valve when the end let go, so it was only a gallon or two. The priceless part was that I was narrating what I was doing step by step to the watching DW (she often watches my set ups and take downs) explaining how I read it was good practice. Now she puts a whole lot more weight into the expert advice of these forums.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #18

Most of us have done that, few will admit it though. I did_once, and it was the 2nd rinse after emptying the sewage. Now I only tackle one task at a time; so far so good.
RVWizard is right, the vent plumbing is usually not sealed at the roof intersection. And, by law it must be vented to the outside, not in the ceiling.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #19

Ok let me add my boneheaded result to the black tank flushing. I thought it would be a good idea to pour some liquid laundry detergent into the black tank after I dumped it. I then hooked up my rinse hose and let 'er rip. I then started talking to my campground neighbor and got sidetracked. Well before I knew it bubbles & suds were blowing out the vent pipe and getting caught in the wind and traveling all over the place. Thankfully it was only soap & bubbles....but it was good for quite a laugh as I sheepishly starting rinsing off the roof and sides of the coach.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Ok let me add my boneheaded result to the black tank flushing. I thought it would be a good idea to pour some liquid laundry detergent into the black tank after I dumped it. I then hooked up my rinse hose and let 'er rip. I then started talking to my campground neighbor and got sidetracked. Well before I knew it bubbles & suds were blowing out the vent pipe and getting caught in the wind and traveling all over the place. Thankfully it was only soap & bubbles....but it was good for quite a laugh as I sheepishly starting rinsing off the roof and sides of the coach.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU...After a rather stressful day yesterday I needed that laugh!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have just upgraded from an old Fleetwood Flair to a HR Neptune diesel. I am rereading this thread and committing it to memory for future reference. Maybe I ll even print it out and hang it in the "water/sewer drain compartment"! Thanks!
draboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I really enjoyed this post - well written and thank-you for the smile.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
My "RV Moment" came when I tried to tighten the extension sewer hose while dumping. Contrary to popular belief, it won't kill you.
It could result in the death of others. Secretly your RV buddies wil die laughing about it.

Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #24

Quote:
This reminds me of the toy lawn mower my son used to have. It had a receptacle to place liquid soap into,so when he maneuvered it around the yard floating bubbles would magically appear. You have taken this concept and converted it to a big boy toy! Congrats!
Old 08-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I assure you that there is at least one other person out there who has done this.... And I know him very well. You won't need to make a sign to hang on the rinse connector. This is one of those mistakes not easily forgotten and never repeated.

Quote:
Thanks for the laugh! That conjures up a visual that will keep me smiling for a while.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent