Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
shampoo carpet??

Is it ok to use a caret shampoo machine on the carpet or will it hurt the. Flooring underneath?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #2

I just shampooed all my carpet. I used the little green clean machine. I just made sure i did not saturate it too much. Mine was dry within 24 hours. I also made sure my furnance was on and it was nice a toasty in the rig.
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What type of cleaner system are you using? The most important thing is to get as much water extracted as possible. Get some fans and let them run to get it dried up, that would be the best thing to do to prevent any damage to the underlayment. We had ours steamed and I had the guy do double duty as far as vacuuming up the water. They turned out real good.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, I never thought about it damaging the sub floor. I have a Hoover Platinum Plus and it's biggest selling item is that it uses very little solution and has a great amount of extraction. "Max Extract" Technology. I did the entire coach with that machine and never had any problems, except around the engine housing I used the hand tool and got a little too aggressive with it resulting in a little loosening of the carpet on the sides.

My carpet was completely dry in about an hour, but I do run the machine slowly back over the carpet with no solution about 3 or 4 times more than it recommends to get the maximum extraction and minimum drying time.

This is the machine I used and I love it-works wonders!:

Hoover® Platinum Collection™ Carpet Washer

Removes More Dirt

The Hoover® Platinum Collection™ Carpet Cleaner uses MaxExtract Technology™ to remove more dirt from carpet than other leading brands of carpet cleaners.*
Removes more dirt with less detergent than leading competitor based on FCT-0024p and FCT-0284.
MaxExtract® Technology

MaxExtract® technology features the most advanced combination of multi-action agitation, carpet washing, dirt removal and direct heat drying - to provide the look of professionally groomed carpet that you can live on within hours of cleaning.
Dual scrubbing, multi-directional brushes have been specifically engineered to surround carpet fibers, removing dirt at every angle.
High velocity suction removes the dirty water from the carpet while applying forced heat to speed up dry time

Hope this helps....
Old 02-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #5

I use a Bissel twice a year. No harm. As others said, get as much of the water as possible and use fans plus a/c to dry it out.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I too use a Bissel ...just control how much water you allow to release, and I also use a steam cleaner to spot clean.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try it today. It's a gorgeous warm day out and I will run fans and keep the furnace on low.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We use a Hoover carpet cleaner. It is about 6-7 years old. I recently had to replace the canister that carries the cleaning solution and the water. I was thinking that there would no longer be the parts available but was surprised when I went to the place I bought it and they had a replacement . The new canister had been improved.

We (I) do the carpets in the coach in the spring to get it ready for the season and usually in mid season too. I will also shampoo it if there is something that needs attention during the season. I will also use the unit after shampooing without the water/solution canister to suck up additional moisture.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #9

carpet cleaner

We use a dry powder called resolve sprinkle it on use a brush to spred it around let it dry & vacuum works good.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
My wife has me to use the Bissel. It does a good job and the carpet is dry in an hour or so. She supervisors the job very close and ensures I do not use too much water. We have been useing this machine or one just like it for 10+ years and one day I will be allowed to operate it solo. I am still learning to do it HER way.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great question. I was just going to do this today on a "newly" aquired Fleetwood. Great tips thanks.
mcboddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #12

There should not be any difference between a Stick house and a Rv, both have a plywood floor. If you soak your floor your using way to much water.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have done it both in my old TT and in my current coach. But I also, as others have also stated, gotten as much water out as I could. The best way, to do that, is to pull the unit very slowly. You would be amazed at how much water you will get out, with that method.

I also use water as hot as my pipes will give me as it not only cleans better but dries faster (same thing I do in my stix n brix and have never had carpet shrinkage either).

I also use fans to help speed the drying process.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote