Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Share your secrets to avoid /judge low branches and obstacles.

I did a search on here and google. Some rants & a few camera ideas from 2007.
My camping club will be a challenge now, Maybe ...
Dr. Evil voice "RVs Lasers on the roof" .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2019, 06:38 PM   #2

What's needed is a rooftop chainsaw option, where the bar spans the back, and a drive axle 90 degree up the side of the rig with the 2 stroke motor at about bumper level. Fire it up full throttle as you back in. They could call it the "self trimming option" Most of the problems I've had is with State campgrounds where they seem less motivated to worry about it. If I suspect a clearance issue, I climb the ladder and look. I don't trust my wife's judgement on the issue.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:51 PM   #3

To me it's no secret to avoid these things.
SLOW DOWN! To a crawl if necessary. If you can't determine for sure from the driver's seat, stop. Get out and look. Add clearance for AC units and other accessories mounted on the roof.
If you are in are in doubt, back out.
I'd rather hold traffic up for a few minutes being careful not to be wedged under a bridge than proceeding and being wedged under a bridge and tying traffic up for hours.
I'm not for scratching the roof material on my MH with low hanging branches either.
Lynn
Old 05-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #4

The GiraffeG4 seem decent for Class/super C for gas stations .
I could put those WIDE LOAD poles on my gonna be toad , I was actually thinking laser level. Camera on spotlight. I don't have ladder, ? yet ?. I could put my adult son up there lol .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have a built-in detector stationed in the copilot seat. It lets out a loud noise when I'm about to hit something (usually too late for me to miss the object) - then continues to squak for a while afterwards. It has no volume control but will automatically get louder if any attempt is made to silence it.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
^^^
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:51 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike, after this post are you out of the hospital yet? LOL
Brother I'm still laughing as I can visualize it. DW often gives false alarms as things seem closer to her than to me but I always temporarily respond to her alarm. Guess its the 51plus years we've been married and traveling.

Drive safe and enjoy - Richard
Old 05-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I have a built-in detector stationed in the copilot seat. It lets out a loud noise when I'm about to hit something (usually too late for me to miss the object) - then continues to squak for a while afterwards. It has no volume control but will automatically get louder if any attempt is made to silence it.
According to the manual for my year alarm, chocolate is used for soft reset.

If I knew the make, model and year of your alarm I could help find the manual...

Does yours also work as a proximity alarm to protect the entire passenger side? That add-on option might require a model upgrade - and, from experience, I'd advise NOT discussing the upgrade out loud...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 11.22.03 AM.png
Views:	35
Size:	612.5 KB
ID:	247072  
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #9

Driving in to James Island County Park near Charleston is always a fun experience. Every entrance road looks something like this -

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7175...7i13312!8i6656

Or like this -

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7350...7i13312!8i6656

But so far, I've never bumped anything.