RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #1

Shims for 2014 Ford 24K Chassis

Has any body had to shim the passengers side of Coach and if so did they do front and back, also how much did you have to add. It looks like I'm having to add about 11/2". Im not sure why they put all the equipment on that side.
RideAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

I had a truck shop do mine. They used about 3" on passenger side and a bit less on driver side. Mine was down real low in front and leaning to one side. They got it perfect though. Also informed me they have done this procedure often to trucks so they knew what they were doing.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #3

Pirate, thank you. The ford dealer said he is only doing passenger side, hope its going to be right and not do something to other side.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #4

What model Tiffin do you have?
How long have you owned it?
Why do you think you need to shim the chassis?
Is this issue something new, or something that has been a longer term issue?
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #5

We Have a 36LA, and love it, have owned it for almost 2 years and have put 22K on it. Noticed this about 6 months after i picked it up. Some highways are worst that others but that's the way they built the roads. Things that have been done are, sumo, roadmaster rear, roadmaster front, new shocks blistine. The couch handles great and the ride is unbelievable with the sumo .Ford dealer recommends air bags but could not fine for 24K chassis. So Tiffin is putting them on there new ones, i think. i was just wondering has anybody else had to add shims.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:44 AM   #6

I don’t recall seeing anything on people having to shim a 36LA (a few TGAs) to make the house ride level which is why I’m asking.

The fact that you have a 1 1/2” “problem” makes me think it could be another issue related to some Tiffin gassers, including 2014s (per my pm and the other thread I referenced). Putting shims on may just mask another problem the Ford dealer isn’t looking for.

Look down your bay doors and the trim piece above them on both sides, and see if they all look straight.......

Just don’t want to create a “sky is falling” thread without more info.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAHD View Post
Has any body had to shim the passengers side of Coach and if so did they do front and back, also how much did you have to add. It looks like I'm having to add about 11/2". Im not sure why they put all the equipment on that side.
I have, my DS was about 1 " lower than passenger side.
First you need to verify your house gusset support welds did not fail. There is another thread discussing this issue on pre 2017 year coaches. You should have about 1" clearance between the house and frame rails.
My welds were intact, I called Tiffin they are aware of the issue and consulted the chassis department.
Solution was to install a 1" Block at the PS rear axel. Tiffin supplied the steel Block and longer U bolts, the block measured about 4" W x 6" L x 1" thick. Solved the leveling problem and corrected the drift of the coach to the R while traveling.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Have you had all the house to frame connections checked - there have been several posts about broken welds

ours had 1.5" Block at the DS rear axel. Tiffin supplied the steel Block and longer U bolts also to level the motorhome.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #9

just a up date, installed 11/2" block or shim on passengers side back axle only. supplied from Tiffin. I worked great, Im not sure but it feels like it made the ride even better. Very happy to be riding down highway not leaning. Its Great.

Tags
chassis, ford