Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Shiny Wheel Covers

After losing my #1 pup last week, I am forcing myself to be interested, or at least pretend to be, in getting ready to replace my rear 4 tires, (fronts are new) so I took off my wheel well lip covers (so the tire guys don't crack one maneuvering the tires in and out) and the stainless wheel covers.

Used Mother's Aluminum/Mag/Stainless Wheel Polish, then followed up with Meguiar's #26 Sealer Wax. Brake dust on the front wheel covers over time builds up then a rain event (or washing) seems to make that stuff pool in the bottom of the bowl/lip of the front wheel covers. Several spots in the lowest indention in the cover had to be re-worked for several minutes each. The rear covers were a snap.

3 Hours later......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-04_15-35-29_966.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	28780  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #2

Hard to get motivated after a great loss but you did a great job
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is so hard. I realize 90% of my passion for having the MH is the pups. But 90% of that 90% was my Katie. :(

I am trying to bring the others closer, and I love them dearly, but everything seems useless without my K.C.

But this would make her happy because she knows Dad had to have things shiny and purdy so she could look good in her co-pilot chair.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The wheel covers on ours have all been stainless not aluminum. Yours look like Dicor (like ours) and they should be stainless also.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Hey Kent. Aluminum / shuminum , I think they look great. I too made a list of projects last month when Buddy passed and I'm not finished yet. It was a long list. Keep up the good work.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The wheel covers on ours have all been stainless not aluminum. Yours look like Dicor (like ours) and they should be stainless also.
Yes, they sure are too shiny for aluminum, huh? Good point Mr. D. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #7

My Bud was a black German Sheperd named "Buster" Found him on the Railroad tracks after a big storm. He was just weeks old and the biggest part on him was his ears. We had a great life for 14 years and when I had to put him down the only thing that made me look forward was the fact that without me he would not have survived. The thing that drove us down was the fact that he became such a part of our lives that we just were not prepared for the end of this great relationship. Thankfully we were sent a pup destined for the no return Pound and we are again on a great journey to the future. Only people like us would know what I am talking about.Keep taking care of the little ones.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
My Bud was a black German Sheperd named "Buster" Found him on the Railroad tracks after a big storm. He was just weeks old and the biggest part on him was his ears. We had a great life for 14 years and when I had to put him down the only thing that made me look forward was the fact that without me he would not have survived. The thing that drove us down was the fact that he became such a part of our lives that we just were not prepared for the end of this great relationship. Thankfully we were sent a pup destined for the no return Pound and we are again on a great journey to the future. Only people like us would know what I am talking about.Keep taking care of the little ones.
Yes, I do know all too well. The pain and suffering of her loss is so cavernous and invasive. I have this overwhelming urge to pick up the phone, caution be damned, and call that breeder in Colorado (who knows she may not even be with us still). Ask her if she still has Charlotte's & Katie Charlotte's blood line is the only thing I can think of that is or may help. I don't even care about AKC or any of that. Mother 13 years ago called them (AKC) and was able to track that breeder down. I remember clearly then it gave me such a jolt and hope and renewal and a feeling of excitement and life, it got me out of that despair that wouldn't go away weeks and weeks after I lost my Charlotte. Somehow the fact that they were the same blood line and related made it all feel better and weeks before Katie set foot in her home she was already the most loved and adored canine ever in my heart.

But I know I have to take care of the three that I already have that so desperately need me as well. Also, a puppy in the first year is more work than a newborn baby, almost. I'm too old for that kind of quickening.

Yet, Spencer is almost 14 now though...and I could rise to meet the challenge...but.....but....blah blah blah....see how my mind is so unruly? I need a slapping.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Kent--the wheels look great. And NO, you do not need slapping. You are grieving, and a broken heart will take its own sweet time to heal no matter how hard we try to shake off the pain. You'll know when the time is right for a new little one. In the meantime, hug those other three tight...they are missing her, too.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #10

Lincolnboy2, I also am very sorry for your loss... Our 4 legged kids is what our life revolves around... It rips you apart for a while when you lose one...

I do have a question on your wheel covers,, which look great by the way... I see a couple wheel nuts missing on each one. Do they actually bolt to the steel wheels ? Ours are basically like yours, but just fit in like hub caps. I have bent the spring clips to make the front ones fit tighter, but I'm worried I might lose one some day. The back ones pretty much take a crow bar to get loose. Thankyou.
By the way, the only real reason we are RV'rs now days is to take our "kids" with us traveling.....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monkey--those "missing" lugs are what attaches the covers to the wheels.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Monkey--those "missing" lugs are what attaches the covers to the wheels.
Thanks Sarah,,, do they come with adapter lugs or such to attach to ??
Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Thanks Sarah,,, do they come with adapter lugs or such to attach to ??
On ours they have a separate nut with a removable hollow chrome nut covering it but ours are 22.5" and yours may be different. Also, they come with a special hooked tool w/socket on one end. You use the flattened end to remove the cover (there are dimples in the cover so you know which to remove), then the socket to remove the nut. Lots of people are fooled into thinking that the nut and cover are one piece and blame the dealer or manufacturer for not sending the correct socket.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On ours they have a separate nut with a removable hollow chrome nut covering it but ours are 22.5" and yours may be different. Also, they come with a special hooked tool w/socket on one end. You use the flattened end to remove the cover (there are dimples in the cover so you know which to remove), then the socket to remove the nut. Lots of people are fooled into thinking that the nut and cover are one piece and blame the dealer or manufacturer for not sending the correct socket.
Thanks Mr_D.. Ours are only 16" wheels, so maybe that is not an option. If I ever replace them, I'll look into that though....