Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 11:51 PM   #1

Shock Absorbers

I have a relatively new RV, 2015 Forest River George Town 310 DS. As compared to our 2003 Safari Trek it rides wonderfully. However I have been told by two different RV service companies that I ought to change the shocks from Bilstein to Koni. Has anyone done this?

David
dfpinrenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2017, 12:03 AM   #2

I just have to ask if your Trek had stock suspension or did it have any suspension upgrades (rear trac bar, front spreader bar, SS bell cranks, etc?)

p.s. I replaced the stock bilstein on my 2002 Trek with Koni FSD's they were a big improvement, can't say how they do on a Ford F53 though
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:30 AM   #3

I replaced the bilstein shocks in our '97 F53 36' Aerbus, shortly after I bought it, and wow...what a difference it made. I thought it rode and handled pretty well when I bought it but after putting the new Konis on it, it was like driving a new rig. Although pricey, Im 100% sold on the Konis. Good luck!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
David, you'll find different opinions on this, but you might find this article helpful!

Shock Testing.pdf
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #5

I put Koni FSD on 2008 Bounder F53. Happy with the results, not happy with the cost. Replaced OEM Bilsteins which were not the new comfortracs. Not sure what is on your coach. Doubt I would spend to replace to replace Bilstein Comfortracs.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If it ain't broke, why do you want to spend a bunch of moolah to fix it? Koni's are pricey, and at the end of the day it's still just a shock absorber. Maybe a good shock, but shocks are only there to keep the wheels from bouncing to much after a pothole. That F53 with its leaf springs ain't gonna turn into a Cadillac ride no matter what kind of shocks you put on it.

I think those "RV service companies" are just selling shocks.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfpinrenton View Post
I have a relatively new RV, 2015 Forest River George Town 310 DS. As compared to our 2003 Safari Trek it rides wonderfully. However I have been told by two different RV service companies that I ought to change the shocks from Bilstein to Koni. Has anyone done this?

David
David,

Compared to my 1986 class C Prelude, my 1992 class A Bounder drove wonderfully. Compared to the Bounder, my 2004 Southwind drove wonderfully. When I pulled off the Bilsteins and put Koni's on my Southwind it drove even more wonderfully. IMHO, when it comes to upgrades, its all about how much you are willing to spend. It don't matter whether it's for ride comfort, HP, milage, creature comforts or a newer RV. We're the Koni's spendy? Yes. Would I go back to the the Bilsteins? No way. You have a pretty new coach, so go out and enjoy it this summer and next winter if you still think it could use a shock upgrade, we'll that's something you will ultimately have to decide. As for me, I'm very happy with my decision

Dean
Old 04-07-2017, 10:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'd suggest leaving it alone. How many miles have you put on it?

One year old Coach doesn't need shocks.

RV service places are not to be trusted until you know they are honest, at least in my opinion.

I had one very large RV service place tell me I needed to have both my O2 sensors changed every two years at the cost of $600. Right.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:04 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I too have thought about changing over to konis. Although my coach handles and rides "OK", I would like a softer more comfortable ride. Being as my coach is a 2014 on an f53, I believe it has the better bilsteins. I would like to hear from someone that has changed over and whether or not the ride was improved.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #10

I had the full Henderson's, Grants Pass, treatment which included all that you mentioned.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #11

I crawled underneath the coach and the shocks are the standard Yellow and Blue colors, how do you determine if they are the Comfortracs?

David

Tags
abs