Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #1

Shocks

It’s time to change shock absorbers.I’m thinking Koni or Bilstein.Is there a big difference?
Roger 6630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

This has been a long ongoing topic on the 'Baywindow forum on The Samba. In the end after working on VW buses for decades the best setup for shocks was....

KYB Gas-a-Just on the rear and KYB GR-2 on the front in my 72 VW Baywindow. I rolled with the KYB's in my RV (1994 P30) given I've used them extensively for decades and they've never let me down and were a better ride than OEM shocks.

They also have a lifetime warranty on them.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Now there's a Ford vs Chevy question! And more likely to get emotional answers than facts. Some here will opine that anything made by Koni is better than everything made by Bilstein, but that's highly debatable, I think.

Both Koni & Bilstein make several models of shock and often more than one for the same vehicle. The damping and ride characteristics may differ between both models and brands, so you really need to narrow the question down to the specific vehicle.

That said, Koni shocks are excellent and hard to go wrong. Usually premium-priced, though, and maybe not worth the extra cost in all situations.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #4

I'm not a huge believer in shocks making that much of a difference. At least not in the big picture with ride and handling issues related to big motor homes. Disclaimer: I've never owned a class A but have researched extensively in preparation of getting one. I don't recall anyone only changing shocks and suddenly be satisfied with a previously unsatisfactory experience. I'd personally go with something middle of the road for shocks and put the money I saved elsewhere - sway bars, steering stabilizer, air bags, etc.

btw.... It might help people help you if they know what size/age/brand MH you have.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #5

Koni EVO shocks made a noticeable improvement over the Bilstein shocks in our Newmar MADP.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I'm not a huge believer in shocks making that much of a difference. At least not in the big picture with ride and handling issues related to big motor homes. Disclaimer: I've never owned a class A but have researched extensively in preparation of getting one. I don't recall anyone only changing shocks and suddenly be satisfied with a previously unsatisfactory experience. I'd personally go with something middle of the road for shocks and put the money I saved elsewhere - sway bars, steering stabilizer, air bags, etc.

btw.... It might help people help you if they know what size/age/brand MH you have.
I changed my Monroe OEM shocks on my class A at 12,000 miles to KONI FSD and and I was defiantly suddenly satisfied with a previously unsatisfactory experience. Went from dangerous porpoising to a very controlled ride without loosing the normal smooth ride.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
I changed my Monroe OEM shocks on my class A at 12,000 miles to KONI FSD and and I was defiantly suddenly satisfied with a previously unsatisfactory experience. Went from dangerous porpoising to a very controlled ride without loosing the normal smooth ride.
Same reply from me with the Koni FSP on our 2019 Bay Star 3124. Porpoising issue went away.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #8

See our signature for what shocks we choose.

Here are some previous threads that will help and keep you busy for awhile.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Koni...earch=irv2.com
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've been on this forum for over 14 years and have read hundreds of threads on shocks. I've found that people seem to have better results with the Bilsteins on gassers and the Koni's on DP's. I bought Koni's for the first time on my 2005 Diplomat. There was an absolute night and day difference.

When I bought my 2014 Dutch Star on a Freightliner chassis, I felt it had a harsh ride and set out to improve it. I replaced all the shocks in the first six months with the Koni FSD's. I could feel the ride difference in the rear end and there was less sway in the turns. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the FSD's in the front on the independent front suspension. There was no improvement. About a year later, Koni came out with the Koni EVO for IFS front ends. I removed the FSD's and saw a decrease in the jarring ride. I was hearing the potholes, but not feeling a lot of them. I know some can drive for 20 years with the OEM shocks and be happy. More power to you, but not me, I'm big on getting a sooth ride. Shocks, correct tire pressure and Centramatics really helps these coaches.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:02 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
What is/are Centramatics?
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
^^^https://floridashorestruckcenter.com...EaArSxEALw_wcB

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #12

I removed the factory bilsteins and installed Koni FSD’s on both of my gas powered Winnebago Class A’s. Noticeable improvement in ride quality especially on bridge expansions, railroad crossings and breaks in the pavement. The Koni’s offered a much better ride than the bilsteins.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Our last coach was a gasser and the two best upgrades for handling came from Koni FSDs and a BlueOx rear Trac bar. What a difference.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not trying to steal the thread but what’s the best way to find out what shock part number your coach has? Mine is a 2008 Discovery with a Freightliner XC-S chassis.
Thank you
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks