Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2023, 08:22 PM   #1

shocks and their impact on wandering

I have an 08 country coach maga. We are on a 6000 mile trip and are at 2800.I have noticed the coach seems to be a little more affected by wind direction causing more steering corrections.Its seems to have gotten worse as the trip has progresed but then again we have gotten into some good winds. We were at the edge of the tornado that hit houston last week.I have road king shocks all around with the 3 inch shocks up front and 2 1/2 on the drive and tag. I was wondering if the shocks were not performing as they should could that cause the coach to be pushed around more then it would with new shocks.Road king went out of business but king shocks still exist for rebuild if i wanted.
Just wanted to get your thoughts. I understand how shocks control the ride but do they withstand sidewinds or is my thinking off?
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2023, 07:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
I have an 08 country coach maga. We are on a 6000 mile trip and are at 2800.I have noticed the coach seems to be a little more affected by wind direction causing more steering corrections.Its seems to have gotten worse as the trip has progresed but then again we have gotten into some good winds. We were at the edge of the tornado that hit houston last week.I have road king shocks all around with the 3 inch shocks up front and 2 1/2 on the drive and tag. I was wondering if the shocks were not performing as they should could that cause the coach to be pushed around more then it would with new shocks.Road king went out of business but king shocks still exist for rebuild if i wanted.
Just wanted to get your thoughts. I understand how shocks control the ride but do they withstand sidewinds or is my thinking off?
In my opinion, shocks are an important part to how well your coach can handle adverse conditions. With that said, I also believe that shocks alone won’t correct conditions related to driving in windy conditions.

Probably more important would be the miles on your coach and associated wear on the front end.

If your coach handles ok on non windy days, then it’s probably not much you can do to correct it’s handling. However, it may be time for a good steering inspection and alignment. Be safe.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:52 PM   #3

I don't know CC chassis but you can't overlook any play in rear axle stability and play when winds are applying force to side if coach.
There are rear track bars as well as front for many chassis . Roadmaster chassis can be made much more stable with watts link and crossbars.
EDIT....After search I see Maga is tag axle ,again out of what I'm familiar with but are you sure tag axle is set up properly and all tire pressures are set per axle weight. The rear axle transfers weight to the others. The proper ratio is important you dont want front axle/tires over loaded .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

[I know I'm gonna get skewered for saying this] The purpose of shocks is to slow suspension rebound and stop wheel bounce, thus keeping the tires in contact with the road surface. In other words, keep the chassis from hopping around so you can steer it properly. They are not there for your ride comfort, nor do they prevent sideways movement or lean or anything else related to handling, crosswinds or otherwise.
Some shocks have additional features to provide some lift assist, e.g. air or coil springs as part of the shock, but that's almost a separate function.

I would expect a Magna to handle decently in anything up to 20 or mph sidewinds, but at some point that huge sail we call a motorhome is gonna get blown sideways. I recall following a buddy across Nebraska on a windy day and noting that his nearly new Beaver coach was crabbing at a 15 degree angle. Took some photos to show him later that day. Kind of shocking, but he didn't even realize it other than the need to keep steady pressure on the steering wheel to go straight.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:13 PM   #5

Pretty easy to check the shocks.

Drive over a parking lot speed bump at regular low speed.

If an axle or side bounces over 1.5 times, shocks are not doing their job. Kind of like pushing down on a corner of your car and seeing how soon the shocks stop the bounce.

As Gary said, they are only one component that helps determine how a coach will ride and handle.
Old 01-31-2023, 04:04 PM   #6

I'd look at springs, and caster, before shocks.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:21 PM   #7

Gary is completely correct in his explanation of what function shock absorbers
do in a suspension system, any suspension system.
Wandering must be addressed with track bars, front and rear. Front end components such as tie rod ends, drag links, steering box adjustment for wear in the box, even ball joints or king pins can contribute to the looseness or wander in steering. If your tires are cupping, dead give away the shocks must be replaced.
As previously stated is the coach bounces over 1.5 times, it time to change them.
winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:52 PM   #8

Steering stabilizer. Between that and shocks it transformed my driving experience. Best RV money spent so far. Although I have to say in a loaded coach even with those improvements I have really been surprised in a bad way by dips in the road and bridge bumps. I went with Bilsteins and wondering if the Konis would help even more.
Iceclimber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
[I know I'm gonna get skewered for saying this] The purpose of shocks is to slow suspension rebound and stop wheel bounce, thus keeping the tires in contact with the road surface. In other words, keep the chassis from hopping around so you can steer it properly. They are not there for your ride comfort, nor do they prevent sideways movement or lean or anything else related to handling, crosswinds or otherwise.
Some shocks have additional features to provide some lift assist, e.g. air or coil springs as part of the shock, but that's almost a separate function.

I would expect a Magna to handle decently in anything up to 20 or mph sidewinds, but at some point that huge sail we call a motorhome is gonna get blown sideways. I recall following a buddy across Nebraska on a windy day and noting that his nearly new Beaver coach was crabbing at a 15 degree angle. Took some photos to show him later that day. Kind of shocking, but he didn't even realize it other than the need to keep steady pressure on the steering wheel to go straight.
And I might add, shocks can age-out in addition to wearing out. Nearly all contain compressed gas, if/when they loose pressure the shock cannot function properly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:10 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
We can service those shocks if they are in good shape. Our new shocks feature harder shock shafts, improved seals and oil since RK. I look forward to helping you. Let me know if you have any questions.

CUSTOM TRUCK, RV & SEMI SHOCKS by HD SHOCKS Race Proven. Highway Comfort.
SHOCKERRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 06:21 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If you are traveling in mountainous areas you might want to check your tire pressure. It will change significantly depending on your elevation and that will affect handling, including wandering.
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 06:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
If you are traveling in mountainous areas you might want to check your tire pressure. It will change significantly depending on your elevation and that will affect handling, including wandering.

Sorry, that is NOT correct.

Very little change in PSI based on elevation.

PSI change with temperature-- absolutely! Are mountain areas generally colder, yup.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=167
Old 02-15-2023, 10:06 AM   #13

IASM, shocks have one design function, to keep the tire in contact with the road. When shocks fail they do affect handling too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:58 AM   #14

Just got home from a 6k trip so had a lot of seat time to think. On good roads,no wind you can drive with one finger. If the road get a little bad or some wind it starts making work to keep it on track. One thing i noticed was the front seems to be floating. When i go over some bumps it seems to feel like the front airbags are actually bags allowing the front to bounce up and down a few times before stabilizing.
One thing with the independent suspension is the height effects the tow in so if the front is going up and down the tow in could be changing.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks