Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Shop service vs. private mechanics

I see some of the larger shops in our area, Jacksonville, Florida have raised their hourly rate to $120 plus per hour. Does this rate apply to actual time spent working or do they use a book of standardized times for each item. What if it takes half the time because it's not what they originally thought?
On another note I have had one occasion to need roadside service while parked in Dillard Georgia. The mechanic I found worked harder than any shop mechanic I have used. He was so good I had him take care of several additional items and all were done professionally, expeditiously, and for less money. Although I do as much upkeep on my own unit as I can there are times I find it more advantageous to use the professionals.
What are your thoughts between the two.
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I would use a private mechanic that is good before ever using some
commercial place. Keep track of what maintenance is needed,but use common sense! Some people seem to over do it,when you only use the MH for 5k miles per year. Keep good records of what was done and when.
Siggy D.
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I only use dealer service for warranty work. All else goes to an independent shop. Better work at a reasonable cost = a way better value.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always use a private shop for my general work. If I would have a major problem with the transmission or Cummins I would consider a factory authorized shop. I had a reoccurring slide issue and I took that back to Winnebago for their expertise.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #5

Many use the book for the hours charged regardless of actual time spent.

The best/most honest will charge you the actual time that it took to do the job.

$120/hour is very high. My guy in Fort Pierce charges $70 an hour during normal business hours and $85/hour after 5 pm. He charges based upon time spent.

Many OTR truckers get their LOF pm's done at this shop.

It is Crossroads USA Truck Lube (772)-393-0333.

They are setup like Speedco, big pits where you can drive your rig over and the techs can get to everything from below.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #6

The flat rate shops charge just that regardless of how long the tech spent on it, that is how they and the tech make their money. It's a double edge sword, the dealers have the parts, tools, service information to get the job done quickly and efficiently. They should not have to tie your rig up overnight or longer for want of an oil filter or serpentine belt.
This works to our advantage as long as the tech is good and conscientious, if he is lazy and more worried about beating the clock we suffer. OTOH, the independent generally works at a lower rate because his overhead is lower. The problem is when he has to send out for parts or a special tool or does not have the knowledge to do the job quickly or properly. We end up paying for a substandard repair. I use an independent to service our vehicles, he is very good but knows his limitations and is upfront about it. He won't do more than a lube, oil, filter on our diesel.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote