Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #1

Shopping for a reliable manufacturer

I am new to the forum and just beginning my search for a used Class A Motor home. Is there any type of RV Consumer Reports , supplying feedback data that would steer me to the most reliable manufacturers ? I want to narrow my search and learn which manufacturers to focus on ,and who to avoid.
Thanks Much , Denise
axy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by axy1 View Post
I am new to the forum and just beginning my search for a used Class A Motor home. Is there any type of RV Consumer Reports , supplying feedback data that would steer me to the most reliable manufacturers ? I want to narrow my search and learn which manufacturers to focus on ,and who to avoid.
Thanks Much , Denise
Best reference tool I've found.... rvreviews.net

You won't be sorry

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recommend Newmar. Good quality and they stand behind their products.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #5

I really don't think there is such a thing as a reliable RV manufacturer, though there are some that are less bad than others.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #6

That question will open a can of worms! My advice to anyone starting to look is floor plan, then chassis then coach builder. If this your first motorhome I would say get one that is at a cost level that you can easily handle. That way if you hate it then you can sell for a manageable loss. Once you use it for a while you will know what you love, like and need. Then you upgrade to a long term coach.

I believe you can tell loads about the overall quality by opening the door, it should feel sturdy. It's no different than a house, there are lower cost houses that are well built with home depot cabinets, there are poorly built houses that have good finishes but you can tell by walking through the house its crap.

For our second we looked the entire spectrum from an Alegro bus to an older Prevos (that we would have updated inside) The exact floor plan, options, style and engine we found and bought it.

We plan on keeping it for 10 plus years. When I get too old to drive it then we rethink.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:32 PM   #7

Newmar and Tiffin are the best.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #8

Don't expect automobile industry dependability. I don't care if it's a $100000 new gas class A or a 2 million dollar Prevost conversion, it's still traveling on our crumbling highways and infrastructure. The best description I have ever heard is that every time you drive it, your house withstands an earthquake. They all pretty much use the same appliances and components so don't get hung up on a brand name. The five top things when buying a MH are 1. Floor plan. 2. Floor plan. 3. Floor plan. 4. Price and affordability based on your budget. 5. A dealer you can depend on for service. Good luck on your hunt.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:41 PM   #9

I used this when I was shopping for my first class A back in April: https://www.rvt.com/blog/trends/rv-m...umer-rankings-

You didn't ask, but I'd like to recommend an excellent book, "Buying a used motorhome" by Bill Myers. Surprisingly, it was free as a Kindle book.

The brand you choose will depend a lot on the year your looking for. There was some turmoil in the industry during the great recession. Some companies were bought out stranding customers who owned older models. Steer clear of those.
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by axy1 View Post
Thanks Much , Denise
The reality......

You have a lot to read, a lot to digest, a lot to learn. Take your time.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #11

Check out RV.org. They rate RVs and have information on the process of selection and how to make a deal with a dealer. Good RV hunting.
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:48 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
When You tour/view "In Person" any perspective coach..
View it First with all slides retracted,
If the coach is fully usable without the slides extended, then give it a second look.
(Think wally-docking,rest areas,truckstops...any where that you cannot/do not have room for the slides to be extended)

BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
As You will make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:04 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2. I also strongly recommend the RV Consumer Group. www.rv.org I (and many others) have found their ratings and evaluations invaluable when RV shopping.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
Don't expect automobile industry dependability. I don't care if it's a $100000 new gas class A or a 2 million dollar Prevost conversion, it's still traveling on our crumbling highways and infrastructure. The best description I have ever heard is that every time you drive it, your house withstands an earthquake. They all pretty much use the same appliances and components so don't get hung up on a brand name. The five top things when buying a MH are 1. Floor plan. 2. Floor plan. 3. Floor plan. 4. Price and affordability based on your budget. 5. A dealer you can depend on for service. Good luck on your hunt.
Totally disagree on floorplan comment....a very common mistake! You had better focus on chassis, frame, quality of build and the entire integrity of any possible purchase....then find a floorplan that gets you closest to what will work for you.

If you focus on floorplan first, many will be passing you while you're broken down on the side of the road, but hey.....at least you'll be looking good!

It's NOT the Glam, Glitz, OR Floorplan that gets you down the road...

Your choice...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote