Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 07:57 AM   #1

Shopping for used class A

Morning all I’m a previous 5th wheel owner 88 jayco Jcrane 34’ and the last one a bighorn 34’ anyway wife and I want to get a class A but we can’t afford what we want new ,so looking at an older DP Cummins or cat side radiator , tag looking at Monaco beaver Newmar ,tiffin I’ve been reading a lot in irv2 and it is a wealth of valuable info are there any dealers around that cater to folks like us and have these in stock to go and look at I’m in CA, and will sell our rental income property if I need to to get what we want I have a class B with hazmat,tank, air brake endorsement (is this enough for class A operation?) thank you all for all this great info
Siskman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 10:29 AM   #2

When we were shopping for our used DP we had to cast a wide net, nationwide search. We were living in California at the time but wound up buying a rig in Florida. Tiffins (and I imagine Newmars) didn't stay on the market long, you had to act quick to get your hands on one. Weren't easy to find at a good price, in good condition, with the exact layout we wanted. Maybe fuel prices have cooled things down a little. In any event, you might want to include private sellers in your search.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:59 AM   #3

My advice for you is to take a long time to fully research the market and go see several different makes and models so you can get a clear idea of what layout works for you, the build quality of the inside and out, test drive to see what chassis and engine feels right for you. We had a 36' gas class A for many years and it was our entry into the class a lifestyle. We loved it and eventually I wanted to upgrade to a newer but used class a DP and began a search. I "thought" I had conducted adequate research into what we wanted and jumped at a private sale in AZ on a '05 41' Gulfstream w/400. I think I was a little excited, also tired the day I flew out to AZ to look at it in 107 degree temps, and bought it. We used it and it was very nice, great layout, and no serious problems (mostly cosmetic) but I only had it for 3 months before I was looking again as I had determined all of the things that I liked and disliked about it and it began to drive me nuts....I'm a little OCD and over analyze everything. So I did more research and a lot of looking and in March of this year, my wife and I found a '07 Monaco/Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' w/525 Cummins, tag and pretty much loaded with upgrades and excellent quality and condition. The difference between this and the Gulf Stream is amazing. I love driving the Navigator as it is extremely comfortable, smooth, quiet, and with more power. The upgrades and quality inside and out are awesome. We are excited to take it out for it's maiden voyage next weekend. I traded in the old DP that we owned for about 8-9 months and did lose about $10K in the deal which included the taxes, some maintenance, etc. A rather expensive mistake. The only step up down the road might be a Newell coach but we'll see, so far I am very pleased with this coach. Take your time to research and look and buy what you want, especially the quality....you'll never regret it. Good luck!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:09 AM   #4
Community Moderator

I would take a trip to Texas and visit some of the huge lots they have there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9960.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	366161

https://mhsrv.com/in-stock-specials/diesel-pusher

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9961.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	366162

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:31 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
At least in California, I don't think you'll find what you're looking for at an RV dealer. Any dealer who sells quality used RV's typically won't stock anything older than a 2013 model, as they can't get financing on coaches that are ten years old. You may find some lots that do, but those may be full of junky coaches.

You really need to identify your budget so people can give you a better idea. Once we know your budget, we can tell you what years are available with a side radiator. When it comes to side radiator coaches, most will have the Cummins ISL or Cat C-9 (400) at a minimum.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:33 AM   #6

Shopping for class A DP

Thanks for all the replies great info our budget is around 150 because that’s what I think I’ll have to spend at a minimum to get us an exceptable rig kinda looking at pre def but not older than 2007 not sure if the def is a deal breaker or not I’m looking for others opinions on all these things
Siskman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siskman View Post
Thanks for all the replies great info our budget is around 150 because that’s what I think I’ll have to spend at a minimum to get us an exceptable rig kinda looking at pre def but not older than 2007 not sure if the def is a deal breaker or not I’m looking for others opinions on all these things
Yeah that's what we did. Tiffin Bus has what you're looking for.

Engines are luck of the draw, get that checked thoroughly regardless of miles. I like having a pre def engine, just make sure you get a good one.

The rig still looks good, we haven't been refused due to age yet. We have been replacing a bunch of things that died of old age. Air bags, inverter, AC units, various plumbing fixtures, water pump and controller. Aquahot and HWH jacks have been kind of an ongoing saga although the former has been well behaved lately. Shocks need replacement. It'll be a labor of love but based on your shopping list you're gonna be rolling in a very fine rig for not much money up front.

Don't take the coach inspection too seriously, just cuz something is working when you pull out of the lot doesn't mean it'll be working when you turn the corner. The dealer can't warranty systems on a rig that old but may be willing to service or upgrade systems for cheap (fridge? Inverter? Microwave? AC?) OTOH take the engine and chassis inspection very seriously.

I'd keep something in reserve. If your budget is $150k I'd be shopping below 140 for a rig with a good engine or below 90 for one with a questionable engine

We wound up having to drop a reman engine into ours, fortunately we had an honest dealer who was upfront with us and priced the thing accordingly (central Florida RV) -- everyone came out ahead except for the po who doesn't know how to run a diesel properly. The rig was otherwise in such beautiful condition an unscrupulous dealer could have had his way with us. Watch out for that

Tags
class a