Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #1

Shore power

The way I understand the MANUAL, when contacted to shore power only the coach batteries are charging. When the engine is started the alternator charges chassis batteries. Now, if I fail to disconnect from shore power may cook the coach batteries?
Sloride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #2

Your converter charger keeps your coach batteries trickle charged when on shore power(or should). You can,if you are on shore power for a lengthly stay cut the coach batteries out or disconnect from shore power for periods of time to regulate the charge in the coach batteries
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Sloride;1385220]The way I understand the MANUAL, when contacted to shore power only the coach batteries are charging. When the engine is started the alternator charges chassis batteries. Now, if I fail to disconnect from shore power may cook the coach batteries?[/QUOTE

First off, you need to define what rig you have. Suggest you put that in your signature so you don't have to redo it every time.

Now, Assuming you have a class A with both house and chassis batteries, when you are plugged in to shore power, you will be charging both the house and chassis batteries.
Not sure what switchgear you have but before you start the engine it is likely a good idea to pull the plug on the shore power. That way, you don't drive off and cause serious damage to the post you are plugged into, And, not to mention the spectators that are laughing their ass off as you are driving away with the cord dangling from the back of your MH.
I'm sure there are some of us out there that have done just that.

Put that on your checklist of things to do before you pull away.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #4

[QUOTE=dennis45;1385240]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloride View Post
The way I understand the MANUAL, when contacted to shore power only the coach batteries are charging. When the engine is started the alternator charges chassis batteries. Now, if I fail to disconnect from shore power may cook the coach batteries?[/QUOTE

First off, you need to define what rig you have. Suggest you put that in your signature so you don't have to redo it every time.

Now, Assuming you have a class A with both house and chassis batteries, when you are plugged in to shore power, you will be charging both the house and chassis batteries.
Many Class A's do not charge the chassis batteries while plugged in. So only the coach batteries get charged when on shore power. The engine does charge both battery banks while running, however.

A lot of the manufacturers did add this feature beginning about 2006 model years, Winnebago diesel coaches, for example.

There is a product, called Trik-L-Start, which can be added to your coach, if your system does not charge the engine batteries while on shore power.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #5

I have never seen a diesel coach that didn't charge both sets of batteries. Certainly our old 98 Discovery, both older Tiffins, and all the Feetwood and Holiday Rambler diesel coaches I've been around all charge both coach and chassis batteries.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #6

OK, so I say again, when you make a post asking whatever, tell us what kind of rig we are supposed to comment on. Just Sayin.

I "Assume" this is not a newer rig or the OP really has a problem with the dealer that he bought it from.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
YC1

And no, failing to disconnect with the engine running will not cook the batteries.

But please do post model and year. Many variables with this one.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #8

Profile says golfstream crescendo 36ft no year
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
My 99 Dolphin charges coach and chassis batteries.. Happy about this.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
Your converter charger keeps your coach batteries trickle charged when on shore power(or should). You can,if you are on shore power for a lengthly stay cut the coach batteries out or disconnect from shore power for periods of time to regulate the charge in the coach batteries
the SP through the converter keeps the coach batterys full charged.you definately do not disconnect your coach batterys from SP for any period of time
"SOME" coaches also charge the chassis batterys on sp and some do not
I have a "battery minder" on MY 2008 Allegro Bus that charges my chassis batterys, others us solionoid charge back system
Coach batterys are so called house batterys and chassis are starting/run batterys
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #11

Ok, just learning to navigate thru IRV2 forms, so like 3wheeljunkie, said slorides profile says 36' Goofstream, So, being the owner of a 05 Crescendo, I will tell how mine works, the house and the coach batteries are seperate and do not charge each other, it is equiped with the Xantex rs3000 inverter charger that has a float charger to maintain the batteries after they are completely charged, I think its rated for 100amps on the batterey charger max, but if you leave it charging for long periods of time you should check the battery acid level, BECAREFUL!, I stay pluged in most of time and check the batteries annually, hope that helps
Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never heard of any newer MH that does not charge the coach/auxiliary battery(ies) when the coach engine is running. I know if DC system is disconnected (not tied to the auxilairy (coach) battery buss, the coach alternator will not provide power to the DC system, but will charge the auxiliary (coach) batteries. If the alternator voltage drops from 14.4 VDC (charge voltage) to less than 12.8 VDC, the isolator relay/diode may open/diode stops conducting - this depends on the vendor, model, and application of the isolator system. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
My rig does not charge the chassis batteries from shore power, just like your manual says your rig is wired.

As others have said, you can change that by adding a Trik-L-Start or similar device.

You most likely have a Transfer Switch which manages the 120v flow from the Generator or Shore Power to the House battery charger.

On most rigs, the Transfer Switch automatic priority selection is Generator power source. So, when plugged to shore power and then starting the Generator, the TS will automatically default to the generator power.

Shore Power will be charging your House battery. When you start the engine, the alternator will begin charging your Chassis battery.

If the chassis battery is nearly fully charged, some charge from the Alternator may pass to the House battery.

I doubt you will "cook" the chassis battery in that circumstance but I would not run the engine while hooked to shore power for very long. I have done so for about 15 minutes to partially air a nearly fully deflated front tire while in an extended stay. That was 3 years ago, and my chassis batteries are not complaining.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #14

There are definitely many diesel coaches out there that don't charge the chassis battery when connected to shore power. If yours does not, buy a Trik-L-Start as suggested. Installation is simple and the chassis battery discharge over time is solved.

The converter/charger on my '98 Winnebago Vectra had the option of adding a module that kept the charger from over charging the batteries while connected to shore power. I purchased the module and I had to add very little water to the batteries after I installed the module. On my charger there was a socket that appeared to be a typical telephone socket and the module simply plugged into that socket.

Why Winnebago did not add the module to the charger and the Trik-L-start I can only guess they were saving money. I suspect it would have cost them about $30 to add both items to the coach. I think it cost me about $60 to add both items.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote