Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2016, 06:39 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If your cord is a 30 amp, you could probably leave it at 45'. If it's a 50 amp, I would do as "KIX" stated and make two cords. Dragging out a 45' 50 amp cord will get old. Typically, 25' will be plenty in the majority of campgrounds, keeping the rest of the cord for when it's needed. We've been all over the U.S. and the majority of the time, I don't spool out more than 10'-15'.

It is a 50a and the coach plug is about midship. The cord that came with the coach is around 30' and is not a good quality chord stiff and hard to coil.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
My suggestion is to make your "regular" cord 25'. Then make up a 20' extension. The longer the cord the higher the voltage loss.
Agree, big time, for the convenience of not having to deal with 45' of that wire all the time. Agree also there will be a few times when you need it. Whoever laid out some of these campground lots were real clowns when it came to pedestal locations.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;2946907
My suggestion is to make your "regular" cord 25'. Then make up a 20' extension. The longer the cord the higher the voltage loss.
KIX
I agree.
(Especially if you need a 50A cord).

Wrestling with a 45' 50A cord if/when you only need 20' (or 25'), is a PITA.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
I would agree with this mainly because this heavy cord is hard to coil up when it,s cold and I wouldn't want to do this with a 40ft.cord.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:19 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I would split it into two cords, one 25-30 feet and the rest an extension. Much more convenient than wrestling with a 45 foot cord. Only rarely will you need more than 25-30 feet, and 15 ft is probably typical for most campsites.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #20

I have 35' in an onboard power reel and also have an extension which I have used just a handful of times.

If you are doing a 50A cable, they are HEAVY, so making a primary and an extension is a good recommendation. Most of the time you will likely only need something half the length of your rig.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:48 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I have camped in every State and Province in North America except Labrador and Saskatchwan and I can't properly spell that. I have no experience south of the border. But the one thing I can say is that in all of those campgrounds we stayed at, the only one that we needed extra length of power cord the office was able to provide it. They knew the problem with the design of the park existed and was prepared for it by having loaners available. The truth is, when it comes to space available for storage of extra items that "May" be needed you will run out of space before all those items are covered. Having an extra 20 ft extension may be OK but that is about where I would stop.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #22

We are lucky in that out coach end is a 50 amp twist lock and we have found a supply of sets for a song.

If hardwired it is suggested you can locate outdoor twist lock sets of plugs and cut your existing one at a good servicable spot and insert the connector set.

Now get SO power cord of correct size, it is more expensive but more flexible and usually used for generator and other supply lines.

With this you can make extension cords to extend your existing shore line and they will lock together and lie flat.

You also can use same cord and connector at coach end but adaptor at opposite end meaning if you are a 50 amp unit the cord can have a 30 amp plug at one end wired correctly to allow plug into 30 amp pedestal without adaptors.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If you can store it I would keep the 45'. You WILL find a time you need most of it!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Shore Power Cord Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
We are lucky in that out coach end is a 50 amp twist lock and we have found a supply of sets for a song.

If hardwired it is suggested you can locate outdoor twist lock sets of plugs and cut your existing one at a good servicable spot and insert the connector set.

Now get SO power cord of correct size, it is more expensive but more flexible and usually used for generator and other supply lines.

With this you can make extension cords to extend your existing shore line and they will lock together and lie flat.

You also can use same cord and connector at coach end but adaptor at opposite end meaning if you are a 50 amp unit the cord can have a 30 amp plug at one end wired correctly to allow plug into 30 amp pedestal without adaptors.

The new 45' cord I have available is a SO chord and it was a freebie. It is of the proper gauge and as you state is much more flexible and actually a little smaller in diameter than my current cord which is why I like it. Colder weather doesn't seem to affect it either.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
The new 45' cord I have available is a SO chord and it was a freebie. It is of the proper gauge and as you state is much more flexible and actually a little smaller in diameter than my current cord which is why I like it. Colder weather doesn't seem to affect it either.

Can you provide a link to the most flexible SO cord you know of? What gauge do i need for 50 amp 25' run?
Skripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:34 PM   #26

Extension Cord from Buyextensioncord.com
Info on what gauge to use for any specific application, plus a voltage drop calculator, and about anything else you may need to know about extension cords.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:13 AM   #27

Thanks!
Skripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #28

Wait...

Just visited and tried the calculator...WRONG!

First it can be confusing as it wants 1/2 the circuit length.

That is the standard use of a general calculator but the circuit length is round trip so a 25 ft cord is 50 ft circuit...

We have a calculator on a spreadsheet someplace that we used in another life that works well, many online but only use one that allows volts drop to be entered as they are less generic.

Anyway main fault with this one is it will not provide data that meets code.

We used data for a 25 ft cord and 30 amps and response was number 12 wire.

It may be that a number 12 wire has the required area to pass the current but not knowing the voltage drop used it is a guess plus NEC suggests a number 10 wire for that.

There are EE folks on this forum who have it in their head...They could calculate exactly what you need but the poor man's calculator for usual cord distances is use NEC suggestion then next size up.

30 amp is number 10 so either number 10 or number 8.

Cannot remember what 50 amp is.

More important is the connectors as cheap offshore stuff will derate the assembly so be sure to use marinco, hubble or other well made connectors.

Spend extra for outdoor rated and smear some electric grease on the prongs as it will protect from air and make it easier to use.

The wire on the other hand may not matter as much but it can.

SO cord is used for generators and other such things so it USUAL is flexible and MAY have finer strands like welding wire that allows a higher ampacity rating in the same size wire thus allowing a smaller cable to do same work.

With a 45 KW generator at 50 ft it matters...

The other item of concern is the rubber being resistant to sun and scuffing.

So best bet here is to shop around and maybe buy local from a good supply house or do lots of homework.

For 25 to 50 ft the cost difference may not be much but quality huge.

Better to be able to touch and coil the cord before buying as you can get the better for you product and maybe support a local supplier.

You do get what you pay for...

Tags
power, shore power