Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2023, 08:26 AM   #1
T53

Shore power issue

Unit has a victron multipluss inverter/charger. Problem is that the AC shore power 50amp breaker will occasionally trip. Trips usually when no power is being drawn except a 1500watt plug in heater that has been running constantly. Inverter is set to allow 50amps in and in “on” mode. Has on ,off, inverter, or charge mode. Any thoughts other than bad breaker that causes trip when not much draw ?
T53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2023, 08:33 AM   #2

Howdy neighbor.

Is the 50 amp shore power outlet a GFI outlet by any chance? If so GFI shore power outlets and many RV's don't mix well.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:42 AM   #3
T53

Why yes it is. ��
Old 02-05-2023, 08:47 AM   #4
T53

Currently living in rv while house is being built. Subpanel is 100 amp and not at park or campground. I could change out since rv has gfci correct ?
Old 02-05-2023, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by T53 View Post
Unit has a victron multipluss inverter/charger. Problem is that the AC shore power 50amp breaker will occasionally trip. Trips usually when no power is being drawn except a 1500watt plug in heater that has been running constantly. Inverter is set to allow 50amps in and in “on” mode. Has on ,off, inverter, or charge mode. Any thoughts other than bad breaker that causes trip when not much draw ?
Assuming the 50 amp shore power breaker is the one you plug your RV shore power cord into, then a 1500 amp heater will not trip it.

Defective 50 amp breaker
Drawing too much power
It is unlikely a 50 amp 240 volt breaker also has a GFCI

There are other possible high current devices that may be drawing power in the RV.
Electric Water Heater
Heat pumps
Heat strips in A/C
Block heater
Electric furnace
Microwave
Electric coffee pot
Some combination of these on one side of the 240 volt split phase could cause the main breaker to trip intermittently.

Other failures:
Short circuits in cords or plugs
Short circuits in RV wiring
Short circuits in transfer switch
Short circuits in main circuit breaker box
Worn or burned insulation on wires is often the cause
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:09 AM   #6
T53

Main breaker has test button and pigtail. Confident it is a gfci. With that said, it trips fairly randomly. Last night at 2am tripped with only frig n wall heater going.
Going to swap out with non gfci breaker and see.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:16 AM   #7
T53

This is the breaker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD5DCCFC-0C0E-4DF1-A453-0321D2F8EAE0.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	385821  
Old 02-05-2023, 09:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Currently living in rv while house is being built. Subpanel is 100 amp and not at park or campground. I could change out since rv has gfci correct ?
Can you? Yes, it's physically possible. The current Code requires GFCI protection.

There is no inherent reason that RVs should not play well with GFCIs - mostly the problems occur when there are multiple, current-leaking devices, or defective wiring installation in the RV. IOW, the device is doing what it supposed to do - disconnect when a potentially unsafe condition is detected.

Any advice given to remove the GFCI is up to the owner to accept or reject, but I personally err on the side of safety.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:48 AM   #9
T53

Ok so im not an electrical expert but shouldnt the pigtail from gfci breaker go to white, common bus bar ? See pic
Old 02-05-2023, 09:49 AM   #10
T53

Pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D74981C8-CC4B-4DE5-8BB5-A3D5C55EEFC3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	385825  
Old 02-05-2023, 09:59 AM   #11
T53

Sorry. Think I answered my own question. This is a main panel which has both common n ground connected. Sorry
Old 02-05-2023, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Sorry. Think I answered my own question. This is a main panel which has both common n ground connected. Sorry
Yep. If this is the first point of disconnect after the meter, the ground and neutral are bonded. If this were a sub-panel, it would be a violation.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Can you? Yes, it's physically possible. The current Code requires GFCI protection.

There is no inherent reason that RVs should not play well with GFCIs - mostly the problems occur when there are multiple, current-leaking devices, or defective wiring installation in the RV. IOW, the device is doing what it supposed to do - disconnect when a potentially unsafe condition is detected.

Any advice given to remove the GFCI is up to the owner to accept or reject, but I personally err on the side of safety.
Current code where? Please stop with this. The nec is not adopted everywhere.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:33 AM   #14

I suggest you check the inverter. The AC in and AC out wires. Start by running that heater and see if any of the wires are warmer than they should be. Those connections need to be totally solid any loose connections cause resistance. Don't ask me how I know this. Also in my rig the inverter is "in line" and essentially has to be running when on shore power, but it notices and goes into bypass mode. The other quirk is they wired one whole inverter AC out to just the microwave. So that leaves the other AC out for outlets. 1500 watt space heaters could absolutely cause this behavior particularly if that circuit is being shared like for example with another power suck like a coffee pot. Those heaters are notorious for power draw. On a side note I am rewiring the microwave outlet so I can use it when the microwave is not in use which is like 99.9% of the time.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power