Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 09:29 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Shore power issue that was not an issue before

Hello All. I know this has probably been addressed before but I can't find the thread.
I have a new transfer switch on my 2011 Monaco Diplomat 43 and have had no issues with shore power in my shed or on the road.
Now suddenly my Power Control System Central Monitor panel shows
WIRING STATUS ERROR and the inverter will not let the charger come online.
L1>NEUTRAL L1<>L2
L1>GROUND
NEUTRAL=GROUND

Charge light flashes quickly for a few seconds then goes off and inverted shows discharge on the batteries. Magnum Inverter.

This started occurring intermittently on different shore inputs. Recently at Oshkosh I had this issue but then it resolved itself and everything worked perfectly for 4 days in the campground. Back home and now it will not come online again. As mentioned before I've used this shore power for years with several rigs and no issues.

If I disconnect shore and bring Generator online I have no issue at all.

Measure power plug point and I have no issues with the Voltage at the 50amp supply. My surge protector shows no errors. In Oshkosh same thing no errors. I've tried this both with surge protector connected and no connected. No difference. Just cannot get the shore power online.

Do I need to consider another new transfer box?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all the wisdom and suggestions.

Andre
pilotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 10:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotag View Post
Hello All. I know this has probably been addressed before but I can't find the thread.
I have a new transfer switch on my 2011 Monaco Diplomat 43 and have had no issues with shore power in my shed or on the road.
L1>NEUTRAL L1<>L2
L1>GROUND
NEUTRAL=GROUND

Charge light flashes quickly for a few seconds then goes off and inverted shows discharge on the batteries. Magnum Inverter.

This started occurring intermittently on different shore inputs. Recently at Oshkosh I had this issue but then it resolved itself and everything worked perfectly for 4 days in the campground. Back home and now it will not come online again. As mentioned before I've used this shore power for years with several rigs and no issues.

Measure power plug point and I have no issues with the Voltage at the 50amp supply. My surge protector shows no errors. In Oshkosh same thing no errors. I've tried this both with surge protector connected and no connected. No difference. Just cannot get the shore power online.

Andre
Make sure you check the voltages INSIDE the transfer switch. Almost sound like a bad connection, failing transfer switch or if you have an EMS could be failing. Check the voltage both in and out. The ATS can be one of two types. Shore power priority or generator priority It might be failing to trip to shore power since it works on generator.

Are you saying the inverter/charger charges on generator? If so but not on shore power it could be in the inverter, or the wiring to it.

I'm not one to just throw parts at it without first mapping out all the electrical and voltage.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
A couple of years ago I had a similar problem, probably not related but here is what happened to me.
Plugged into 50 amp service, running electric heaters. One morning the DW turned on the coffee pot and forgot to turn off heater, (done this quite a few times in the past) popped breaker, no problem right. Wrong!! Went to turn the breaker back on and had no 120 volt power anywhere, even with the generator running??
Started tearing things apart, transfer switch, breaker panel, switched breakers around and still nothing. Had a friend helping and still could not find the problem. Spent about 5 hours chasing our tails.
Finally I took the access panel off my inverter, stuck my finger in and wiggled the wires and "Oh Boy" got sparks! Unplugged from the pedestal and pulled the wires out and found fried twist on connectors. Repaired with proper connectors and back in business. I was sure lucky it didn't start a fire!!

Check this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4072.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	337752  
Old 07-30-2021, 03:09 AM   #4

Our inverter/charger Magnum also had loose wires inside the access panel. smoke pouring out of the inverter and I also found 2 of the 6 wires came unconnected shorted to Magnum metal short to ground! They used wire nuts for all the connections. Two wires and wire nuts burnt beyond recognition and 3 inches of wire fried. I re-spliced all connections with butt crimp on connectors, no problems since. This is a fire hazard! Since then Magnum uses a terminal block for these connections.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/bur...er-272608.html

John
Old 07-30-2021, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
L1>NEUTRAL L1<>L2
L1>GROUND
NEUTRAL=GROUND

Andre
Note bold. That fact tells you there is no problem from the ATS output connections, the generator contacts of the ATS, or main panel.

Your issue is with shore power after the pedestal and before the ATS output lugs. That leaves the following suspects:

Plug on shore power cord.
Shore power cord itself.
Reel for shore cord, if installed.
Connections for shore power inside ATS.
Contactors for shore power within the ATS.

Loose/poor connections at any of the above locations can produce intermittent problems to shore power, exactly what you are experiencing.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
L1>NEUTRAL L1<>L2
L1>GROUND
NEUTRAL=GROUND

Andre
Open the transfer sw. There should be some relay contactors in there with some jumper wires going here and there. First check them all for tightness.
If any are loose, there's a good chance the wire heated up and crystalized, make it difficult to pass current. This is apparent with discoloration, hardness, stiffness and the inability to bend. Replace or cut it back some if just on the end and if long enough. Would hurt to coat the wire ends with no-oxide grease before tightening each one securely.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:00 PM   #7

did you ever find the issue ? im having the same problem on my 2000 country coach ??ive replaced the invertor and the surge protector. works fine on gen,but wont work on shore power . gets same voltage from both right up to surge , but wont go thru on shore power ..
Spittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:11 AM   #8

Spittman Have you double checked the polarity of the shore power cord connections to the surge protector, if the legs are crossed the shore power may not pass through the surge protector. Also make sure the connections are tight from the shore power cable to surge protector.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power