Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Short between head lights and backup light

When I turn on my head lights on my 1999 Winnebago suncrusier, my backup lamps and backup camera turn on. Has anyone had this problem? where do I start?
lsucajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would start with beer. Toosh!! It seems to me the backup camera is attached to the backup lights, the camera system knows you're in R because the backup lights are on, this is normal. However, the backup lights should not come on when the headlights are on, and should only come on when in R. Seems some gomer wired the backup lights to the tail lights, likely in the rear light housing, possible when Gomer installed the trailer light socket. So, have another beer, then go outside, put the key in ON but do not start the motor -- we're drinkin here -- and tell me, do the backup lights come on with the key on and the selector in R? You may want to chaulk the wheels....
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
The backup lamps come on whenever the tail lights are turned on. I will check if it makes a difference if the ignition is on or not. will do that tomorrow
Old 11-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #4

Is this a Freightliner Chassis.... they have the ability to email you a wiring diagram for the chassis... and offer excellent tech support on their 800 #....

My money is on.. someone working on the wiring who doesn't have a clue what is really going on.... have you had such work done?
Old 11-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, it's on a freightliner chassis. I have both the freightliner and Winnebago drawings. I have taken the plug apart for the tow vehicle. not there. There is a plug that will disconnect the Winnebago taillights from the freightliner wiring that I will try to find today. that should tell me if the problem is in the rear or front of the vehicle.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:40 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Do the backup lights come on when you put the trans in Reverse?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

Did it start doing this out of the blue, or after another repair, modification, or failure of another part?
Do all of the other lights work Ok?
I don't know if yours has it or not, but some tail light housing have molded in strips to supply current to the light bulbs, and I've seen them overheat, melt, and short out to other circuits.
Look for a tail light that isn't working correctly, and unplug the harness from it and see if that clears up the problem.
Cajun2Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #8

Start with TonyMac's advice, then when it's empty, turning on the head lights turns on the tail lights. Some tail lights and back up lights are in the same housing, or very close to each other. I would guess some power is getting crossed back in that area. Check for the proper operation of the tail lights, stop lights, turn signals. A broken filament in a bulb that gets connected to the other filament can cause some weird things to happen. Pull the bulbs out of the rear lights and see what happens. If you don't find anything yet, go back to TonyMac for advice.

Tags
light, lights