Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
More that 15 minutes for a diesel pusher, closer to 1 hr.......
Ok, so 24 minutes. But that included changing radio stations to avoid commercials, lending my neighbor some tools, and enjoying a beer while it drained. But mine is pretty easy - some, maybe not so much. I’m also fairly well equipped. Also for anyone who cares, Tractor Supply has the best oil prices in town - around $5.50/qt for Shell T6, $2.50 for Castrol GTX 15/40. I used the T6.

As it happens my Son and Granddaughter are coming for dinner tonight (I’m cooking) and the used oil will go right in his fuel tank. Win-win!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We had new and used Peterbuilts sitting on the lot for over a year occasionally and they went away without an oil change if it wasn't due. Those are 1,000,000 mile motors with 100,000 mile warrenty, so I'm thinking it will be fine.

If there is a failure in the future, it will be up to the insurer to prove it was caused by not changing the oil.

If it is really bugging you, go ahead and change the oil and filters. It's your dollar.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:27 AM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
We had new and used Peterbuilts sitting on the lot for over a year occasionally and they went away without an oil change if it wasn't due. Those are 1,000,000 mile motors with 100,000 mile warrenty, so I'm thinking it will be fine.

If there is a failure in the future, it will be up to the insurer to prove it was caused by not changing the oil.

If it is really bugging you, go ahead and change the oil and filters. It's your dollar.
Be careful. The statement about insurance having to prove it was caused by not changing oil may not be true. All they have to prove is that you did not follow the recommended servicing intervals. The argument could be - since you did not honour the warranty agreement, they do not have to honour the warranty either. They will do anything to say no.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone on not doing it, but since it is a warranty requirement I would do it. If mine wasn't under a very expensive extended warranty I wouldn't do it either, but its going in with less than 15 miles since the last one.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:07 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Also for anyone who cares, Tractor Supply has the best oil prices in town - around $5.50/qt for Shell T6, $2.50 for Castrol GTX 15/40.
I check Sam's Club first, because if they have T6 at all it is usually cheapest there. But if they don't have it, yep, TSC is the place to go.

I will add that I have a significantly easier time finding T6 here in NH than I ever did in GA.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:12 AM   #33

I'd do what the manufacturer says and keep documentation - just in case.

Do I really think the motor would suffer with only 100 miles on it and delaying the oil change - NOPE>
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:38 AM   #34

I have never bought an extended warranty ever on anything and probably never will. If I don't feel that the factory warranty is enough I do not buy that product. I am also a mechanic so I take care of my own issues and problems as they arise. With that said if I bought an extended warranty and it said I had to change the oil every year I would do it. The contract you signed does not let you make judgement calls or changes as you see fit. In the end they will probably weasel out of paying very much for anything, that is how they make money.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:09 AM   #35

You spent six-figure money for a diesel pusher, and now you want to cheap out on an oil change?

CHANGE THE OIL!

Good grief...
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:47 PM   #36

As a guy who uses oil analysis to determine change intervals, change the oil! Though it isn't contaminated, after a year, the detergent additives do break down and will stop protecting the insides of your engine from build up and corrosion.
ldsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
Going to court is easy and inexpensive if you don't hire a lawyer. For a large corporation to defend a lawsuit they will typically hire a law firm that would charge them a lot more than an engine rebuild. They will most likely capitulate and honor the warranty after being served with a summons and presented with the oil test reports.
It may be easy and inexpensive for him, but it is not going to be quick.

The large RV manufacturers probably have lots of lawyers on staff so I expect it would not cost them much extra, if anything, to go to court and they will delay the court date for as long as they can. Think 2 or 3 or 4 years of delays while they "gather facts" and "do analysis" in preparation for court. In the meantime he is waiting on warranty work or on a new engine.

The idea of outlasting a plaintiff in a law suit is standard legal strategy for big corporations and, with the law as it is now, you have to be prepared to wait for a long time for your day in court.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
personally I would not worry about it.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I changed engine oil on my 2015 diesel almost a year ago but due to the covid pandemic I've put less than 100 miles in several exercise drives. To keep my extended warranty happy would it be advisable to go ahead and change it again when the year arrives. The oil is hardly even blackened.

Seems a shame to throw away oil like that but I don't want the warranty company to claim I didn't follow manufacture's required maintenance, which I might probably be a good loophole for them to wiggle out of a claim.
We have a Super C on a Ford F550 chassis with 6.7L turbo diesel. Ford recommends changing the oil every 10,000 miles. We typically drive 5K to 7K miles per year on our rig. But we change oil every spring before we depart for summer adventures. If we wait two years, we run the risk of having to find a vendor for an oil change in the middle of a trip. The relatively small extra cost is offset by potential trip interruption and hassle.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:15 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblaura View Post
We have a Super C on a Ford F550 chassis with 6.7L turbo diesel. Ford recommends changing the oil every 10,000 miles. We typically drive 5K to 7K miles per year on our rig. But we change oil every spring before we depart for summer adventures. If we wait two years, we run the risk of having to find a vendor for an oil change in the middle of a trip. The relatively small extra cost is offset by potential trip interruption and hassle.
You are doing the right thing. I suspect Ford says 10K miles or 1 year whichever comes first. Your are driving yours and using it. After a years time, the oil is likely contaminated with combustion blowby and byproducts as well as moisture. This is the reason I try to service my rig in the fall prior to storing for the winter. Its not sitting with dirty contaminated oil in it, and, its ready to go come springtime.

Personally, I wouldn't want to extend any oil change interval past one year except in a case where the engine is not being used - such as the case the OP has.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post

Except that they can refuse warranty compensation based on their own evaluation and then it becomes YOUR responsibility to prove them wrong. Often you can get them to back down with readily available data, but you have to be willing to do the research and go to war. Individuals have a tougher time than a fleet professional, simply because they have less clout and no track record. Been there, done that.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:31 PM   #42

oil change

It doesn't do any good to change the oil if you don't warm up the engine and let the oil slosh around to pick up the condensation/contaminants.
Phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine