Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #43

Change it.

I change the oil at least once per year regardless of not driving it. I have a 2006 with a great history and intend to keep it that way.
navycamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2021, 03:58 PM   #44

Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello,
On another note. It might be better for the truck to be used more often.
Keep it moving to stay loose like us.
Respectfully,
Stephen
schmaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:34 PM   #45

Just a datapoint for the OP to make his decision.

I have an '06 Toyota Tundra that I now rarely drive. After 2.5 years and 3,000 miles on Mobil1 I decided it was time for an oil change. I also sent a sample out to Blackstone.

Here was their response:
"your 4.3 TBN means there is plenty of active additive to spare"

This TBN reading is actually higher than previous tests where I had 10k miles on the oil. Granted, those miles were accumulated over the course of a year or so.
jerome951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #46
GMN

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=wagonmaster2;5674404]I changed engine oil on my 2015 diesel almost a year ago but due to the covid pandemic I've put less than 100 miles in several exercise drives. To keep my extended warranty happy would it be advisable to go ahead and change it again when the year arrives. The oil is hardly even blackened.

Seems a shame to throw away oil like that but I don't want the warranty company to claim I didn't follow manufacture's required maintenance, which I might probably be a good loophole for them to wiggle out of a claim.

wow i don't think that could effect the warranty. if it where thick an black like tar from neglect they may bring it up then. i don't think oil has a shelf life. i would run it, good luck
GMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #47

JAT42

Have older 12v cummins purchased new. Now has 187000 mi. Change oil annually. Last falls oil change had 3000 miles. Sent in for testing. Report said, "Looks like an early oil change." I change because it sets in unheated building and am concerned about condensation.
JAT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:07 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Or just buy the oil and filter get the receipt and then return the oil & filter for a refund.
LOL what can we think of next. Change the oil and sleep better
Mgtv53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I agree with you that common sense should prevail, however, although I have never bought one or believed that an Extended Service Contract was a worthwhile investment, they have been known to deny any claim if they can point to non adherence to the contract terms. It would be up to the consumer to prove his case. I'm sure it would come to more than the cost of an oil change. I just would not want to say I followed the terms, when I hadn't regardless of the reason.
I would never buy extended warranty. Never.
Mgtv53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #50

Diesel oil is good for 15K miles. If you have an extended warranty do not cut corners. On one rv site an individual had transmission problem and they refused to honor repairs since he failed to have the oil changed annually. My extended warranty is long past so I do a major service every 3 years. I drive less than 5K miles a year but I still do the M1 services Annually .
Mr. Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:20 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It seems like some here are missing the big picture. An extended service contract that requires the holder to follow manufacturer maintenance requirements are not just concerned about engine oil and filter change.

You have three main components that I assume are being covered....the engine, chassis and transmission. Each one has many additional service/inspection requirements that need to be documented. I realize not all are an annual requirement.

For example when is the last time the following were inspected/lubed/serviced/changed on a coach that is approximately seven years old?

Fuel Filter Pressure Side
Fuel Filter Suction Side
Engine Drive Belt Inspecting
Alternator, Battery, and Starter Checking
Radiator Cap Checking
Radiator Inspecting & Cleaning
Coolant SCA checking (if required)
Coolant Change (if required)
Coalescing Filter
Air Compressor Inspection
Throttle Pedal Pivot Pin Lubricating
Suspension Fastener Torque Check
Suspension Height Control Valve Check
Suspension Inspection
Suspension U-Bolt Torque Check
Knuckle Pin Lubricating
Tie-Rod End Lubricating
Wheel Bearing End Play Inspecting
Oil-Filled Hubs Oil Level Inspecting or Changing
Axle Lubricant Level Inspecting or Changing
Driveline Lubricating
Brake System Valves Inspecting
Air Dryer Checking or Changing
Slack Adjuster Lubricating
Power Steering Fluid and Filter Changing
Steering Driveline Lubricating
Steering Gear Lubricating
Transmission Breather Inspecting
Transmission Fluid Level Inspecting or Changing
Transmission Filter Changing

While some might not apply to your configuration I would think a lot of them and possibly additional items would (I didn't even mention the genset).

If it were me and I was going to have the annual requirements taken care of as scheduled, an engine oil and filter change wouldn't be something I would even think twice about.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:37 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
It seems like some here are missing the big picture. An extended service contract that requires the holder to follow manufacturer maintenance requirements are not just concerned about engine oil and filter change.

You have three main components that I assume are being covered....the engine, chassis and transmission. Each one has many additional service/inspection requirements that need to be documented. I realize not all are an annual requirement.

For example when is the last time the following were inspected/lubed/serviced/changed on a coach that is approximately seven years old?

Fuel Filter Pressure Side
Fuel Filter Suction Side
Engine Drive Belt Inspecting
Alternator, Battery, and Starter Checking
Radiator Cap Checking
Radiator Inspecting & Cleaning
Coolant SCA checking (if required)
Coolant Change (if required)
Coalescing Filter
Air Compressor Inspection
Throttle Pedal Pivot Pin Lubricating
Suspension Fastener Torque Check
Suspension Height Control Valve Check
Suspension Inspection
Suspension U-Bolt Torque Check
Knuckle Pin Lubricating
Tie-Rod End Lubricating
Wheel Bearing End Play Inspecting
Oil-Filled Hubs Oil Level Inspecting or Changing
Axle Lubricant Level Inspecting or Changing
Driveline Lubricating
Brake System Valves Inspecting
Air Dryer Checking or Changing
Slack Adjuster Lubricating
Power Steering Fluid and Filter Changing
Steering Driveline Lubricating
Steering Gear Lubricating
Transmission Breather Inspecting
Transmission Fluid Level Inspecting or Changing
Transmission Filter Changing

While some might not apply to your configuration I would think a lot of them and possibly additional items would (I didn't even mention the genset).

If it were me and I was going to have the annual requirements taken care of as scheduled, an engine oil and filter change wouldn't be something I would even think twice about.
Really, are there insurance companies out there that ask for this?

5 years from now will it matter if it sat for a year and didn't have an oil change? I doubt it.

Insurance companies would be jumping for joy if customers put that few miles on per year.

Give me your money, I would take that bet.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:44 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Really, are there insurance companies out there that ask for this?

5 years from now will it matter if it sat for a year and didn't have an oil change? I doubt it.

Insurance companies would be jumping for joy if customers put that few miles on per year.

Give me your money, I would take that bet.
The OP is asking referring to the requirements of his extended service contract holder, not vehicle insurance.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:12 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The OP is asking referring to the requirements of his extended service contract holder, not vehicle insurance.
Same thing. Insurance is insurance.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:11 AM   #55

Oil change

This thread proves my theory, if you ask six people a question you get eight different answers.

I don’t have an extended warranty on my rig 2004 HR endeavor. I change the oil every two years or five thousand miles. I think the 26 quarts of oil can last that long. I take approximately two long trips a year. From Ohio to Florida in the fall and reverse it in the spring. The oil gets hot enough to get rid of the moisture in it. Each trip is about 1100-1200 miles for a total of 4400-4800 miles between changes. I like this schedule!

But if you want to change oil every year then go for it. You cannot hurt the rig by changing oil. It s cheap compared to the cost of the rig. It’s a free country (so far) if yearly oil changes make you happy then go for it! And if the warranty calls for it you can look them in the face and say “ heck yes I changed the oil every year” with a clean mind, keep receipts for everything as they will try to weasel out of anything that they can!

There you go one person two answers I hope this helps out the decision process.

RV safe
Scooter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C0CD042-7B21-4597-AF51-1F9B50D9C739.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	322668  
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:16 AM   #56

Moisture in crankcase will disappear if started once in a while to warm up thoroughly. My farm machinery set 8 to 11 months between usage. I just add Isopropyl Alcohol to fuel for any moisture that might be in there.

Tags
diesel, engine