Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2021, 12:49 AM   #1

I'm new and need advice.

My wife and i are looking at buying our first RV and need your help. Would you say this is a good deal? Looks to be in great shape in the pictures. I want to jump on this deal but wanted to see if you guys think I should. Details and pictures below.

RV Details:
Price: $5,000
Model: 1995 Southwind Storm 30 H
Mileage: 23,000
Length: 30 Feet
Description By Owner: "460 gas engine with 23k miles. New tires and new batteries. Everything works as it should - No water damage. Shower wall needs replacing (see pics)"

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...R5?usp=sharing
tnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2021, 01:23 AM   #2

That shower looks TERRIBLE!! That is def water damage. If you plan on buying this to work on it and make the repairs then sure but if you plan on getting into this and start camping I would pass and that is a HARD pass!!
thedark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:23 AM   #3

You may want to pose a few questions to the seller first:
- How long has it been sitting, brake lines, fuel lines
- Why are they selling it
- Does it run
- Do all the appliances work A/C, Fridge, Water system
- If in a cold weather climate, has it been properly winterized, water lines freeze and break
- Does the generator start
- Are there any liens on it
- How long after Grandpa died in it did they remove the body
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 02:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnewbie View Post
My wife and i are looking at buying our first RV and need your help. Would you say this is a good deal? Looks to be in great shape in the pictures. I want to jump on this deal but wanted to see if you guys think I should. Details and pictures below.

RV Details:
Price: $5,000
Model: 1995 Southwind Storm 30 H
Mileage: 23,000
Length: 30 Feet
Description By Owner: "460 gas engine with 23k miles. New tires and new batteries. Everything works as it should - No water damage. Shower wall needs replacing (see pics)"

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...R5?usp=sharing
As long as you have some reserves for inevitable repairs, is seems like a great deal. Tires would be almost $3k alone as long as they are a good brand. But check the date codes, because “new” means different things to different people. Might have very low miles on them but be five years old, or more. Same with batteries - they might be young, but if they haven’t been well maintained, they could still be weak.

At 23k miles, even if maintenance has been somewhat neglected, the drive train should be good. The cooling system might be a weak point, but even if you have to work on it, is still a good value. I’d ask for maintenance records and receipts to verify everything. But at that price, with a few things to fix and upgrade, it’s a great entry into class A camping.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
There is black mold it looks like to me in the shower photo. I would pass.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:50 AM   #6

My only comment on this coach is "low mileage is not always your friend when buying an RV". Anything that has sat that much is going to have mechanical problems. Engine and trans seals and gaskets are dried out from non use and will begin to leak.
mike91eagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:55 AM   #7

Looks like the shower wall is damaged by leakage from skylight above it. There appear to be water stains on ceiling. Brings up question of possible unseen water damage or mold in adjoining walls.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The late 1980s and up to mid 1990 models of the Fleetwood motorhomes had leak and delamination issues. Is there any delamination on the side of the RV near the front cap or near windows?

With the show wall issue, it looks like a skylight leak problem. If the skylight leaked, how much damage has been done to the roof and surrounding structure?

Having had a Fleetwood of that era and suffering through leaks and delamination, I am always very cautious of any leak issues. I'd pass on this one unless you are looking for a possible major repair project.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:40 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

$5000 is relatively cheap for an otherwise clean 1995 Class A. That's no doubt in recognition of the shower damage and possibility of hidden damage. Otherwise the price would be $10k or more. The question is how handy are you at major remodeling projects and how risk adverse are you? If you are thinking you can buy this and send it to a shop for repairs, you are going to be shocked at the cost and time it requires. In my opinion, this is viable only as a Do-It-Yourself job.

The Storm is an entry-level model with relatively light duty chassis and few extra features. Note that towing is only 3500 lbs, limiting your choice of a towed car. Popular as a started model, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #10

I bought my old coach as a cheap fixer-upper. For some reason I have found myself looking at other ones for sale even though I have what I want already. (Son does this too.) So to my eye it appears to be a decent deal compared to what I see around me lately. Just going by what you said and the pictures. I don't envy you the shower repair job but for what it is the price seems fair enough. Be sure to go up and have a look at the roof it all possible.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #11

$5000 for that? I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I paid more than that for my 1993 C. Same engine, 40K miles, great shape. 20k miles later, I still get offers for it above what I paid.

Budget another $1500 for upgrades/repairs for the first year - more if you don't do the labor yourself - and you'll have a great deal. Things will break - rubber and plastic hardens and breaks, wood shrinks, sealant degrades - but my impression is that the people buying new seem to spend just as much on repairs as the people buying old.

(P.S. One caveat: If you're not a mechanic, pay one to check out the drivetrain. A quick $100 inspection would suffice.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:57 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my 97 Fleetwood Southwind last June for 6K and have put 6K in it to completely service it replace all the bushings the carpet with hardwood the microwave, kitchen sink and faucets, skylight and all roof covers. as long as you are ready to at least that much in it go for it if not pass.
Digger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is also an H Model make sure you have someone check the engine the 460 is good but had problems with the exhaust manifolds. look up House Husband on this site He knows more about these engines than anyone and has a 95.
Digger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 02:20 PM   #14

If you are willing and able to do some of the work yourself an older low mile rig makes a lot of sense. Getting repairs done and done right is another mater and expensive.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, southwind, wind