Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

Should I buy this 2004 Thor Hurricane?

Hi all,

Obviously this is not an easy question to answer, but if anyone wants to share their opinion I'll take a listen.

2004 Thor (Four Winds) Hurricane 33SL with Ford V10. 60k miles. One owner. Being sold by an established local dealer. Exceptionally clean interior. Will get new tires all around and a thorough going over by dealer (who also services). Current best price is ~$25k. Nada average is $23,757.

I've been looking in the $15-20k range for months now, and everything I've gone to see in person has been gross. This is the first coach I've stepped into and said, "Yep, I'd eat in here." It's a little more than I wanted to spend, but I'm starting to think I won't get anything worth having for less.

I will be using this rig 6-8 times/year for weekends at the race track and occasional family trips.

Also, if anyone knows the exact size of the queen bed in the back, I'd like to price out a replacement mattress.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hurricane1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	187572   Click image for larger version

Name:	hurricane2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	187573  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hurricane3.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	187574  
agershon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Really, it’s if the unit works for you and what you’re looking for. Price versus value is so subjective that no one else can really answer your question well other than as relates to their own ideas and bias. If it works for you, you like it, and it’s in budget then it seems a great candidate for your intended use. Wish you great luck on your search. Sounds like a good dealer at this point, which is a big plus.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If it meets your needs, price and checks out mechanically then why not?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
According to NADA there is a plus for the mileage. The high price matches your research and the low end is $19K. Personally I'd offer $23K and be ready to walk away. Granted you are in CA where the camping season is much longer but in most areas this is the down time. On the dealerships ad on RVTrader they list it at $29K. They may tell you that they've dropped the price by $4K but to being with it is about $5K overpriced. Look around, there are units out there that will fit your financial parameters.

Now on the other side of the coin from the financial viewpoint is, assuming you are financing, the difference between $25K and the $23757 over any period of time is minimal for the monthly payments.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies so far. Yes it appears to check all the boxes for me and is in the price range.

Seems hard to pinpoint used RV values since there are so many variables. Comes down to what someone is willing to pay in the moment. At this point, I'm willing to pay a little above my original budget for something clean.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by igave View Post
Really, it’s if the unit works for you and what you’re looking for. Price versus value is so subjective that no one else can really answer your question well other than as relates to their own ideas and bias. If it works for you, you like it, and it’s in budget then it seems a great candidate for your intended use. Wish you great luck on your search. Sounds like a good dealer at this point, which is a big plus.
The bed is a "queen short" and is 60X75.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:59 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can always give your price ($23757) a shot. Tell them your bank/credit union looked up the price and even they are willing to go to the high end value.

I did some quick calculations for financing. Keep in mind my numbers are just guesses. For 4 years at 4.5% & $25000 the payment would be $570.09. Same time and rate for $23757 is $541.74. Over a 6 year time frame the $25K at 4.5% would be $396.85 and $23757 would be $377.12. Obviously the longer the loan the difference would be less.

Good Luck

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I did some quick calculations for financing...
Will be paying cash but thanks.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #9

If you call Thor they can tell you the exact size of the bed if you give them the VIN number.

It's worth checking out overstock.com for a mattress.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #10

The 20-25k market is a tough one. Units are getting to the age that a lot of them are not worth buying. Most people just don't take care of anything as you've found out. But I've looked at tons of 4 year old units that I wouldn't buy for below wholesale, so it happens in every price range.

Have you been looking at private sales or just dealers? I know when I buy a unit sometimes it takes 4-6 months to find something worth buying. Took me a little over 6 months this year, the market was really tough. Ended up having to fly to Phoenix from Oregon to get a unit worth buying. So if you're tired of looking and this meets your needs then buy it. Just make sure it's what you want, if you're like me you'll keep looking after you buy and the perfect unit will come up a week after you've bought
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #11

Think I would look at what the dealer may have like loan value wholesale most likely he paid 13000. To 15000.00 max so best price would be About 19000.00 with good sound tires no more then 3 years old. You can always come up and he sure can come down.
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by agershon View Post
2004 Thor (Four Winds) Hurricane 33SL with Ford V10. 60k miles. One owner. Being sold by an established local dealer. Exceptionally clean interior. Will get new tires all around and a thorough going over by dealer (who also services). Current best price is ~$25k. Nada average is $23,757.

I've been looking in the $15-20k range for months now, and everything I've gone to see in person has been gross. This is the first coach I've stepped into and said, "Yep, I'd eat in here." It's a little more than I wanted to spend, but I'm starting to think I won't get anything worth having for less.

I will be using this rig 6-8 times/year for weekends at the race track and occasional family trips.

Also, if anyone knows the exact size of the queen bed in the back, I'd like to price out a replacement mattress.

Thanks!
I don't know your RV experience so you may already know a lot of this...

With any used coach here would be my priorities:
• Since it's only had 1 owner that's—usually—a plus
• 60K miles on the engine and drive train is no big deal......as long as it's been taken care of properly
• This coach has a split windshield that could—maybe not—but could be of a little problem finding a replacement if just one side got damaged
• It's 14 years old, so what's the condition of all the rubber components throughout the chassis. For just a couple of examples, serpentine belt & hoses
• Has it had regular maintenance (and I don't mean just oil changes and grease jobs)
• Front suspension, wheel bearings and kingpin condition
• My concern is always with the condition of the chassis, engine & tranny (I would pull all fluid samples and have lab analysis)
• I would NOT depend or rely on the dealer doing a thorough going over. I'd hire an independent inspector that has no dog in this hunt. There are a lot of systems, appliances and safety things to be checked, have any TSB's been performed, etc., etc.
• Generator, oh yes the generator a very important piece of equipment that needs checking out
• What kinda of shape is the outside body, awnings, slide toppers, roof, A/C units, batteries and let's not forget the big gorilla in the room...the fridge
• What is your CCC and will it be sufficient?
• Will you be towing a toad and is it capable and don't forget to factor in towing gear costs
• The condition of the entire wet bay area
• Slide systems

I could go on and on here but my point is, I'd check out all the main big stuff. And if it all checks out, and the inspector gives you a good report then move forward. But all it would take only 2 or 3 things that didn't check out good and you could be looking at 2K, 3K or 4K EASY...to get those things fixed or replaced right off the bat after you buy it. In addition to your new tires. Like shocks and a new fridge. Or how about an new awning and entry steps. Or maybe the generator is shot. Heck what if just all the rubber hoses in the engine bay need replacing. That's no small piece of change or a small job. I don't know, I'm just giving you things to think about.

I approached buying our used MH basically like a do a sticks & bricks house. If the foundation is good, the plumbing & electrical and appliances are good, the property drains well, it's a good neighborhood and so on, I really don't care much on the inside. Flooring, paint, walls, counters, lighting, fans etc...all that can be easily repaired or updated. I just want to make sure all the important stuff is sound and in good working order.

So when it came to buying our motorhome, I really didn't care much about looking at sink, cabinet and storage bay pictures. My wife did, but I didn't. I wanted to know the true condition of the heart of this beast I'm considering to buy. So when I ordered our inspection, I met him & his wife there with my creeper in hand, gloves, paper towels & a flashlight and we went through that puppy together inch x inch for 5hrs. When completed, I knew the exact condition of that MH, what needed tending to, what needed to be updated, and I knew I could do all these updates and repairs myself, so I proceeded and bought the coach because the price was right. Now, 15 months later, a lot of hours of work and more money, we're FTing and living in it and will begin traveling around the country & Canada starting in May and I have full confidence that our coach is now up to the task and we should get many, many years out of her.

So that's my take on whether you should buy this coach or not.

Let us know with an update how it all worked out if you move forward and buy.

Good luck my friend.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #13

Looks a lot better than my 2004. I would add to Martin's list of things to check, as it wasn't specifically mentioned, the rear axle, bearings, and seals. Drive it and listen for noise that doesn't belong. I had a very expensive fix on mine.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I don't know your RV experience so you may already know a lot of this...

With any used coach here would be my priorities:.....
Thanks for this. I know there is a lot to consider. Scheduling a PPI today.

Will keep you all posted.

Tags
hurricane, thor