Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Should I consider this??

First time investigating MH's

I am looking for something for full-time.

Gould anybody venture a guess about the gas mileage of a rig like this? I would be towing a car (Honda CRV) on a trailer.

I know that Pace is no longer manufactured, so should I be concerned about finding parts if necessary?

1994 FLEETWOOD Pace Arrow 37 FT, PACE ARROW
THIS PACE ARROW MOTORHOME INCLUDES AN AWNING, ROOF
LADDER, WINDOW SHADES, BACK UP CAMERA, CB RADIO, 2 TV S, CABLE READY, DVD
PLAYER, SOFA, SWIVEL CHAIR, BOOTH DINETTE, QUEEN ISLAND BED, 2 A/C S,
FULL BATHROOM WITH SHOWER, MICROWAVE, FRIDGE/FREEZER, OVEN WITH COOKTOP, DUCTED AIR/HEAT, 7000 WATT GENERATOR,LEVELING JACKS, CORIAN COUNTERTOPS, ICE MAKER, MAX AIR VENTS

Asking Price: $10,995
Features
* Year: 1994
* Make: FLEETWOOD
* Model: Pace Arrow 37 FT
* Class: Class A
* Mileage: 63,576
* Fuel Type: GAS
* Air Conditioners: 2
* Awnings: YES
* Length: 37
* Engine Manufacturer: FORD
* Self Contained: YES
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #2

I purchased a 2000 Pace Arrow Vision 1 1/2 years ago and have had no problem obtaining parts. Your looking at a good product at a reasonable price. Be sure to have a professional look it over before purchasing the unit.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #3

Gas mileage around 6-7 MPG if you're lucky. Replacing the PA components as necessary won't be a problem-they are made by others anyway, but I suggest you verify if it is built on a Ford F-53 chassis (which would mean parts are more likely to be found) or if it is on the Oshkosh/John Deere chassis, that Fleetwood used to use.

OBTW, you don't need a trailer to tow a CRV.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum. I'll let the experts chime in but it looks reasonable to me so long as you have it checked out first.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
6 to 7 mpg maximum, depending on speed and terrain. You could see 4 to 5 mpg in the hills and mountains. RV and high fuel mileage just do not go together.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:50 AM   #6

We are on our third class A, all have been big block Chevys and all have towed a car. We live in CA so we are always climbing some sort of a grade. Based on my 25 plus years experience driving these rigs, 6 to 8 MPG is what you can expect. There are times when wind direction is favorable, the speed is kept around 60 mph and the road is flat I have seen as high a 10 MPG, but this is rare.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
64,000 miles on a gasser - I would want to see complete maintenance records and have the engine/transmission gone over with a "fine tooth comb".
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Also, Fleetwoods from that era and earlier were prone to leaks in the joint between the front and rear caps and the roof. The joint is very poorly designed. Look of any bubbles in the side walls.

Delamination due to leaks is very expensive to fix and you do not know what is the extent of damage inside the wall.

Any bubbles in the side walls, I;d pass on the unit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas millage six to eight MPG if it's in good conditon.. I drive a 2005 and it gets 8-10 depending on how recently I wax it (This week in fact it's getting waxed) I'm not kidding about the benefits of a good wax job. It really improves that much.

I wax spring and fall.. (Then I drive 800-1000 miles from Summer to Winter quarters)
Old 09-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #10

Heck I get 6 to 8 with my 2011 ISC diesel pusher, so what is the big deal. I would hope he is not looking for 10 to 15. If you push a barn down the road figure on poor mileage.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #11

Single biggest item will be the transmission. That overdrive trans is notorious for failure around this mileage and won't be cheap to rebuild (although once rebuilt with the post 1996 parts it'll last forever).

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
NOt sure you need a trailer for the CR-V--unless you just want one. Maybe you have a trailer and do not want the expense of equiping for 4 down. For the past ten years or so they have been towable 4 down. I have one. Sweet tow.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thank Y'all

Thanks for the updates, everybody. I guess that due to the gas milage issue I should give up on the idea of a MH, at lest for now. Also, the maintenance issues on a MH that I could afford.

BTW, my CRV (2001) manual says that it can not be towed. If not under its own power it must be moved on a flat-bed.

Thanks again.

Charles.
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #14

The Pace Arrow was a high end gas coach and many thousands were made. I would say you will have no problems at all getting parts. You can expect in the range of 6-7mpg towing.

If it is possible to expand your budget just a bit I would suggest look at just a bit newer Pace's with slides. Slides make long time stays in motor homes more enjoyable.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote