Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #15

I usually level first, then put the slide out. But because i know that extending the slide does cause the motorhome to end up lower on that side, i initially raise it a teensy bit higher. I've gotten used to this and have become pretty good at not having to go back and relevel.

I would say it depends on the jacks. With our hydraulics, i can feel movement when i move inside the coach abruptly. The jacks are "giving" a tad so it makes sense to me that they will give when the extra weight of the slide is put upon them.

To the OP, relevel as necessary.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #16

Hydraulic jacks are held extended by pressure but the fluid is not a solid so it does compress when additional weight and leverage is added. The compression is very slight, rubber hydraulic line will expand also. This compression is minute but a tenth of an inch at the jack could be over an inch at the outside edge of a slide. There is also a small amount of flex in a coaches chassis that will seem unlevel after extending the slides. If it feels unlevel, relevel it.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
Hydraulic jacks are held extended by pressure but the fluid is not a solid so it does compress when additional weight and leverage is added. The compression is very slight, rubber hydraulic line will expand also. This compression is minute but a tenth of an inch at the jack could be over an inch at the outside edge of a slide. There is also a small amount of flex in a coaches chassis that will seem unlevel after extending the slides. If it feels unlevel, relevel it.
Hydraulic fluid, like all liquids, are not compressible.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
Yes, after i reread my post i started to edit. The jacks themselves, unless air somehow got into the system, should not "give". I figure the hydraulic lines themselves are what expand. Whatever the cause, i can feel slight movement if we move about too abruptly.

I never thought about jacks being a fulcrum but it kinda makes sense that this could be a factor as well.

Again though, no matter the reason, the OP can relevel as he sees fit.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #19
JFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
Simple physics, however when you move x amount of lbs further out (increasing the arm and increasing ft lbs) you are relieving pressure on the opposite jacks which will let them rise, thus requiring you to re-level. Actually thinking about this the same thing can happen with mechanical jacks, Now I know why my 5r is not level after extending the slide, thanks for the subject.
JFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
True, but I think the poster is correct when he surmises the hoses can expand slightly. Also, any mechanical engineer will tell nothing is 100% rigid. There may be a small amount of flex in the jack mounts and the chassis itself. Cantilevering a slide 18" or more from the coach body can exert considerable force.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
We do.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:54 AM   #22

We also have two slides on the drivers side and deploy the jacks prior to extending the slides. Often there is a bit of an off balance created. Here's a question...

Best to raise the slide side to level or lower the passenger side? Or doesn't it matter?
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
We also have two slides on the drivers side and deploy the jacks prior to extending the slides. Often there is a bit of an off balance created. Here's a question...

Best to raise the slide side to level or lower the passenger side? Or doesn't it matter?
I'd say it depends on whether or not you can lower just the side needing it. On mine, i cannot retract one or even a side of jacks by themselves. It's all or nothing. Normally,, for us at least, i end up extending the jacks on the side that is low.

Now, there are times when i feel i can relevel at a lower level. In other words, to get the coach closer the ground. I might hit the "all up" button to retract the jacks and stop the process within two or three seconds. Then relevel, hopefully at lower coach height.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #24

Always check after sliding out, never needed to relevel

Tags
leveling, slide