RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2020, 09:14 PM   #1

Should I sell my 2014 Michelin 255/80R 22.5

Hi Guys I am switching my 4 rear Michelin tires to TOYO. I was thinking about selling them 4 individually or all to one person for cheap. Wondering is I should sell them or just dump them? Of course they have cracking which was the reason for me changing all 6. I did the drive tires 4 moth's ago and getting the rear tomorrow. I did keep one of the first 2 as a spare. What do you guys think I should do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2020, 09:23 PM   #2

Location: Save diesel fuel money, PM me about the TSD program!
If they still hold air, I'd put them on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace as what they are - good trailer tires for a trucker.

I sold a full set of G670RV tires that were FIFTEEN years old and still didn't have any sidewall cracking OR rivering on them, but I swapped them out b/c I was concerned about the age. Sold them to a trucker for $75 each.

The set of tires I have on the coach now are a mix of ages, all but one are Goodyear Marathon RS (one) or FuelMax (four), the other is a Continental. If and when these get close to 7+ years old, I'll start thinking about another set of used shoes for it. No problems if they are in good condition, black and round and hold air!

Old 04-03-2020, 09:57 PM   #3

I would consider the safety of the buyer. Sure, someone would want to buy them for a truck or rv to save money, but what if you hear they had a blowout and died. Is that worth a few bucks?
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:30 PM   #4

Location: Save diesel fuel money, PM me about the TSD program!
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerbw View Post
I would consider the safety of the buyer. Sure, someone would want to buy them for a truck or rv to save money, but what if you hear they had a blowout and died. Is that worth a few bucks?
A trucker is not going to put them on his drive axles, he's going to put them on the trailer where there are EIGHT tires carrying the load and no lives at risk. That's why I suggested selling to a trucker - they know what they are buying and accepting that risk with full knowledge.

Would I run cracked tires on my RV? No, and I wouldn't suggest anyone else does either. But a cargo trailer is a different story entirely.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:28 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sell them on Craigslist. Truckers will buy them for trailer tires. They know exactly what they are buying and watch for them. I have sold a few sets over the years. Usually get $50-$100 each, condition depending.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerbw View Post

Perfect!!!! Enough said......
Quick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:15 AM   #7

Throw them away. Safety of others is much more important.

Do you want to leave an alligator from a truck tire on the highway to cause damage to others?
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:21 AM   #8

Friend of ours Uncle has a hauling business, he uses older tires on rigs (non steer) that do a lot of slow speed work in large construction sites, dump trucks mostly. A catastrophic failure on a dump truck moving 20 miles an hours on a dirt surface in a construction site is unlikely to kill anyone! Plus there is always another tire on that side of the axle. Failures from construction debris is his major loss factor. Whether the tire is brand new, or 7 years old, that steel rod is going to kill it, and he would much rather kill a 7 year old tire! $50 to $100 each is the going rate.
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
US1

I just replaced all 7 of my tires 2 months ago. Figured might get a little $ for them, so we kept them to sell. Tread like new, sidewalls very minimum weather cracking. Had them on FB and CL for sale. Only 1 party called on them that wanted them for his new to his family RV as they were trying to keep cost down. I told him I would not put them on an RV. My ads stated be good for local in town trucks or for on a farm use, not something for over the road use.
After a few weeks of no takers, and getting tired of them in my garage, put them as free. 2 calls within 5 min. Gone.
Even at free, it was cheaper than the disposal fee we were going to pay the tire shop to dispose of them. If I were to do it again, its not worth the hassle and woulda paid the disposal fee at the time of install.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:32 AM   #10

Two years ago, I replaced all 8 Michelins with Toyo's. I sold the Michelins to a trucker for $600. He put them on a trailer. The 295/80/22.5 I have are not a popular tire for truckers. If mine had been the 275's I could have sold them for $100 each to several truckers.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #11

Well I got my tires replaced. I left the Michelins. Did not want to go through the excretes of selling tires. But I am very happy with the replacements and money saved buy Toyo. Thanks for all the advice. See you out on the road some day. Stay safe.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #12

Throw them away? I doubt that ever happens. They get repurposed as they should.
By either the dealer who took them off or wherever you take them. To a trucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post
Throw them away. Safety of others is much more important.

Do you want to leave an alligator from a truck tire on the highway to cause damage to others?
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:33 AM   #13

I took a truck I bought down to get new tires some time ago. The tires were about 4 years old, had raised whitewall lettering, really aggressive treat, not really what I wanted. I asked the tire shop what they would give me for them. They said "Nothing, used tires aren't worth anything, and may be dangerous to resell!" Seriously? Anyway, they dismounted the tires, and were putting the new tires one, I took a hacksaw out of the truck tool box, and went up to the first one. The manager asked me what I was planning on doing? I said, Well, since these tires have no resale value, and you say they might be dangerous if reused, I'm going to cut the bead on each tire so it will guarantee that they won't cause any problems! He about died on the spot! He said, "You can't do that, those tires belong to US now!" I said, actually, no they don't yet, so why don't we cut the crap. You can sell them for at least $100.00 each, so give me $50.00 each, and you can have them. Otherwise, put them in the back of my truck, and I'll sell them myself. I got my $200.00. Then he argued that he still had to charge me the "disposal fee", even if he wasn't disposing of them. I said, no, that's only if I leave them, and they are going to be disposed of. If you sell them, charge me a state disposal fee, but resell them, and don't pay the money to the state, that's fraud, and I'll report you to the state. Do you really want the state digging through all your books? The "disposal fee" went away too! It pays to know what you're doing.
Keep the tires and sell them yourself.
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #14

Give them to a farmer for off-road use.

Advertise on Craigslist as "off-road use only" and explain why.

Honesty can be very helpful in life.

Domo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
michelin, sell