Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #1

Should I use fuel treatment while parked for 5 months?

Hey folks,
Would like to start off saying thank you for all the help on my previous questions.
We will be workamping in the California mountain area until around mid September possibly mid October
I have about half a tank of diesel fuel in my coach and don't plan on driving it until we leave. Should I put some fuel stabilizer in the tank? If so, what do you recommend? Again, thanks for all your help.
2000 national tradewind 7373
Cat 300 turbo
messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #2

YES!! Sta-bul works good. A full tank would be better to lessen the chances of condensation in the tank.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Sta-Bil makes a diesel stabilizer that should work for you. There are several good brands out there.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/UBO-Sta-B...&wl13=&veh=sem
1995 Warrior
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #4

Any opinions on sea foam ?
Old 05-12-2017, 04:57 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
A diesel should have Diesel Kleen. The best for your diesel.

Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost | Power Service
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:38 AM   #6

Yes. Add the right amount of treatment for full tank. Fill tank. Drive enough so treated fuel gets in the entire fuel system. Exercise generator so treated fuel is run thru it also.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
With a diesel, even more important than a stabilizer is a biocide, it, along with a full tank, will keep things from growing in your fuel:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/biobo...-16-oz--518696
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Add a biocide and fill the tank.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #9

Thanks,
Never knew about biocide.
Great information.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:18 AM   #10

I wouldn't worry about it. I have a 350 gallon diesel tank I have filled once a year with off road diesel I use in my tractors. In ten years I have had no sign of anything growing in my tank. I use about 1/2 of the 350 gallons in an average year. In the summer I use the tractors for mowing and food plots and in the winter I use my cab tractor with the snow blower attached. For the most part the other 2 tractors sit all winter without moving but they get started once a month or so.
The storage tank has a large filter on the fuel hose line with a clear glass filter container. The inside of the container looks as clear as it did the day I installed it ten years ago and the filter is original.
Lynn
Old 05-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #11

Should I use fuel treatment while parked for 5 months?

Wow I like the sound of that Lynn ! I can tell I still have a lot to learn.....
The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know. ~messenger
Old 05-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #12

Sta-Bil makes a stabilizer specifically to address Storage. That would be best for what you asked about. Other Diesel additives are also available for common use and you should research / decide relative to those on your own. Always understand and follow instructions, especially on biocides. In my opinion the condition most folks should be concerned with is being sure their filters are up to snuff. Keeping things right for the injectors is important for the engine and your pocketbook. The storage concern is mostly about water so focus on the treatments for that. The manufacturers are a good source of info. on all this.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
A lot depends on where you are as to whether you need to use a fuel stabilizer and biocide. Where I live is AL with high humidity and heat. We still work from January through May (tax season) so on our last trip we put Stabil in the tank when filling it then drive the 12 miles to our home to mix it in. We always fill the tank when ending any trip to lessen the chance of condensation and possible algae growth.

I have not used a biocide but here is why I haven't. When you first use the biocide if there is anything in your tank it kills it and when the algae dies, it clogs fuel filters which can stop you on the road. I didn't find out about using a biocide until we had had our rig for a few years. Basically we travel in the hot and humid southern states a lot and I didn't want to chance getting stopped by a clogged fuel filter. If it is bad enough you might have to change the filter several times in a short period of time. That is why I haven't done it. So far, we haven't had a problem and the fuel looks clean (no noticeable stuff) when I change the filter annually. Lucky I guess.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #14

You will hear people complain about the price of Diesel fuel compared to gasoline. They would lead you to believe Diesel fuel is about 1 step above crude oil. This is far from true.
Diesel fuel is refined to meet certain standards to meet Government regulations for emissions etc. the same as gasoline is. Since the introduction of DEF Fluid the refinement has gotten even more stringent. Emissions from Diesel powered vehicles are at an all time low. Meeting these regulations has driven the Diesel fuel prices up and the addition of additives necessary to meet the regulations has also contributed to the price increase.
A friend of mine owns a paving company. Their trucks sit idle from late September until May except for a couple big tandem trucks he contracts out for snow removal. I asked him once about how he left the fuel in the trucks. His reply was with ever what fuel they had in them when the last paving job of the season was done. He did say he tried to get the fuel level low for storage because if the tanks were all full the fuel would be stolen over the winter months anyway. The same goes for the machinery used for the paving itself.
Marinas are a different matter. The tanks are old. Most have had fuel of every description in them for years. They sit outside in all kinds of weather and who knows what is growing inside the tanks. There isn't a worse environment to store fuel in than near a lake or river where the humidity is at or near 100% constantly. ( just my opinion )
The boating season up here runs from about Memorial Day until Labor day. The tanks are just sitting there the rest of the year. 8 1/2 months if you do the math. I wouldn't own a Diesel powered boat unless I had my own source of fuel.
Buy your fuel from a source which sells a large volume of fuel and it will be fresh and storable for a long while without any voodoo additives.
Lynn

Tags
fuel