Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2019, 06:09 AM   #1

Should I wax my fiberglass roof?

It’s a Winnebago fiberglass roof.

Should i wax it and with what? I’ve done this and used meguiars

The detailed I’ve hired before said use 303 protectant. I’ve done that too

Which is better?

How often should I do it? I live in the south.

What product should I use?

I want my roof to last a really long time.
fredbrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #2

Just wash it from time to time to remove any harmful pollutants and use 303 or any spray on product that has UV protection.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:52 AM   #3

303 every six weeks?
Old 06-01-2019, 07:51 AM   #4

I use 303!
Old 06-01-2019, 10:17 AM   #5

This,
Like many RV subjects, is vastly overthought. The SUN, kills everything man made. So, some form of protection, is warranted if there's any desire for "whatever" to last. And that includes fiberglass RV roofs. There is no miracle cure for a one time deal either. Different folks have different opinions. Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, it too has a fiberglass roof. We purchased it right at 8 years ago with right at 40K on the clock.

The coach had spent most of it's life under some form of a driver-under cover. So, the roof was a tiny bit chalky but, not bad. Fact is, one would have to rub your hands on it to get them even close to white-ish. So, I'm not a fan of FLOOR WAX or any other paint, or any coating but auto wax. So, it took me about 2 days to get this roof in the condition you see in the pics. Yes, it as a bit of work and, about 98% of the RV owners out there would NEVER go through that kind of work.

The steps I took were not complicated, just a bit of work. First, a good, strong thorough washing with soap, water and cleanser. That removed all oxidation and stubborn bird poop, bee spots and all that stuff. Then, out came my DeWalt professional paint buffer. No, not a cheezy random $29 random-orbital from Walmart. I needed STRENGTH in a machine and, I used 3M Rubbing compound. That part of the job took me a full day. Then, I applied Kit Auto Wax. When done, the top of that coach looked darn near as good as the full body painted sides.

And don't give me this "it's gonna be real slippery if you do that garb"!!! OF COURSE it's gonna be slippery, WHEN WET!!! No one says to get up there during a rain storm and dance around. It's COMMON SENSE FOLKS!!! If you do this, just use your HEAD and be careful when doing your inspections. That roof was done over 6 years ago and it still looks great. I'm about to do it again, just 'cause I can.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0547.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	248148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	248149  

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	248150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0558.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	248151  

Name:	IMG_0559.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	248152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	248153  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Scott wax will give you longer protection. Just finished washing and waxing our roof over several days. Not quite as shiny as Scott’s but looks pretty good for a 17 year old coach. I used NuFinish which goes on easy. Took me a couple hours to wax.
I have in the past washed it and put some 303 on but does not seem to last as long. A few years ago our roof looked terrible and after investigating found it did have a floor finish applied and it was a royal pain to remove but now cleanup and waxing is much easier.

Name:	IMG_5484.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	248154
Old 06-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #7

I have switched from wax to polymer finishes for MH, boat & cars... EZ on/off and better durability than wax. In a head to head test I did NuFinish worked & lasted about the same as higher $ polymers. You can even do NuFinish in the sun.
Not as EZ but doable
You will get many opinions and most will work OK.
I've heard great things about Rehex but haven't tried it yet.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:36 PM   #8

Wow. Awesome pictures and thank you. I think I’ll do nufinish
Old 06-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbrussell View Post
It’s a Winnebago fiberglass roof.

Should i wax it and with what? I’ve done this and used meguiars

The detailed I’ve hired before said use 303 protectant. I’ve done that too

Which is better?

How often should I do it? I live in the south.

What product should I use?

I want my roof to last a really long time.
We use floor polish on ours, every three to six months.
Keeps the streaks from running down the sides with a couple of coats.
Can't remember the brand, but it's not mop and glow, which many use.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:53 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have a cupboard full of different wax brands I've tried over the years. They all work, you just need to apply them. I think the best bang for the buck is NuFinish. It's inexpensive, available at Walmart, easy to apply and lasts as long as most others.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #11

Hi Fire Up and to others reading these posts. I wish I had a buffer, oh wait, I am the buffer. To get one is on my to do list, but I have so many tools as it is, I just don't want to add to the large collection. My Windsor is stored outside here in the Pacific Northwest. Worst to get off the roof is the spring pollen. I am behind for where I should be this time of year because of surgery in March. Just got the roof scrubbed and waiting for it's first coat of Protectall. One coat in the spring and one coat in the fall. Takes me about 2 hours and looks almost as good as the job Fire Up has done, but his still looks better. Been doing this since 2004. It works so will stick with that program. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi Fire Up and to others reading these posts. I wish I had a buffer, oh wait, I am the buffer. To get one is on my to do list, but I have so many tools as it is, I just don't want to add to the large collection. My Windsor is stored outside here in the Pacific Northwest. Worst to get off the roof is the spring pollen. I am behind for where I should be this time of year because of surgery in March. Just got the roof scrubbed and waiting for it's first coat of Protectall. One coat in the spring and one coat in the fall. Takes me about 2 hours and looks almost as good as the job Fire Up has done, but his still looks better. Been doing this since 2004. It works so will stick with that program. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Oilburner might have something here, For years, Protectall was the only thing we used on our Harleys and I have an 05' that still looks like new.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:01 PM   #13

I thought of hitting garage sales thrift stores and using one of those old light weight...maybe Bissell not sure. Two brush\ pad counter rotating .Floor scrubbers, buffer, floor shampooers. You may not get burnished shine like with a high speed buffer.But I'll bet it It could remove all oxidation and leave a good shine. Shampooer could keep compound wet. It would be a lot easier than hands and knees buffing.
Collinite wax has some of the best /most durable waxes I have ever used in my bodyman days.The 2coat is a lot of work by hand but will last a year , it's for on top of good finishes not much oils or emoliants. People brag on insulator wax.
Edit.... Googled .I guess you can still buy similar ones for about $125
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:11 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"153stars"......Actually, that's not a bad idea if you could find the correct pads to fit. You could knock out the roof very quickly. The only down side, my roof has a lot of obstacles, including solar panels. On an uncluttered roof, it might work well.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, roof