Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Should my gen charge coach batteries?

On the road for 2.5 hours with gen running for A/C. When we arrived the coach batteries were not charged. I assume my gen should charge coach batteries and they charge just fine on shore power (both batts are new). If they should be charging, any ideas what to check? It's a 2000 Allegro Bay. Thanks y'all.
memphisflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Mine does.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

Sounds like your continuous duty solenoid has been compromised by burned contacts. Very common, even after only 5 years!

With gen running, check your battery voltage monitor. It it shows low voltage even with the gen running, then the solenoid is the most likely culprit.

Get a new one at any auto parts store . . . $20 !!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine was a dead alternator, $424 from a Cummins dealer. Works fine now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Your generator had a dead alternator?
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Mine was a dead alternator, $424 from a Cummins dealer. Works fine now.
I'm with you Conmoto. That doesn't make any sense...

Memphis Flyer, your generator should charge your house batteries.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Mine does as well. If my house batteries drop much below 12 V the generator starts hard. At about 11.2 V, will not start. I have to fire up engine, then generator starts fine and charges house batteries. If I run the generator for a couple of hours before shutdown (about 10 PM), at 7 AM still have enough power to start generator (does not turn over great, but starts) If I do not run generator for a couple of hours, may not start in morning. I do have a residential fridge and quite a few electronics and LED lights that are on during overnight hours.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #8

Is your salesman switch by any chance turned off ? You should be recharging the coach batteries with both the generator, through the convertor, and with the alternator on the engine through the BIRD or isolator diodes. It seems odd that both systems do not work unless the batteries are switched off or the latching relay has failed.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
Is your salesman switch by any chance turned off ? You should be recharging the coach batteries with both the generator, through the convertor, and with the alternator on the engine through the BIRD or isolator diodes. It seems odd that both systems do not work unless the batteries are switched off or the latching relay has failed.
What is a Salesman switch? Never heard of one.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP

What is a Salesman switch? Never heard of one.
This is a pic of my salesman switch located in my control panel cabinet just inside the front door (locations vary).
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-514450388.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	570.9 KB
ID:	41362
They are lit when the batteries are in service. Turn them off - no light. There is one for coach and one for house. They get the name from dealers using them to keep batteries from going dead. The salesman can enter and flip them on to show a unit and flip them off when they leave.

If you put coach in storage for any amount of time and don't flip them off your batteries are getting drawn down. Now they usually don't shut everything down so some units have or install cut offs at the battery bank.

Not sure if this has anything to do with your problem but that's what the salesman switch is and does.
Steve

On Edit: Don't want to speak for Mr D but think the suggestion is - depending on how the battery control center is set up and if it's working - the priority may be - or maybe stuck at - alternator charges battery even with generator running.

Also - depending on the level of deletion - new or not - 2.5 hours of running a generator will get you a surface charge - but not a real charge. Don't recall all the cycles my charging goes through - but starts as floating charge - moves to bulk charge and a few others as I recall to get batteries where they should be. Probably 6 or 7 hours depending - for 2 chassis and 4 house flooded batteries. YMMV

As others have said - the battery control or continuous duty solenoid may be the culprit. You do want to get to the bottom of it and have the generator charging the batteries if you go any real time without electric hookup. If you rely too heavily on your generator to charge your batteries you're over working it and could end up in Mr Ds boat needing a new alternator before its time.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #11

Oops! I misread the question.

Yes the batteries will be charged via your converter when the generator is running. But you should still be getting a charge through the chassis alternator. If the batteries are severely discharged, running the generator for an hour will get house batteries up to about 75 - 80% charge. Getting the final 20% of the charge may take a number of additional hours.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the help.Can you point me to where the solinoid is and what it looks like please? I think I might know what it will look like but not where. Thanks.
memphisflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisflyer
Thanks for all the help.Can you point me to where the solinoid is and what it looks like please? I think I might know what it will look like but not where. Thanks.
Not familiar with your coach but electric bay or under hood (or ??) is a good place to start.

Will probably look something like the 2nd one on this page. http://www.trombetta.com/dc-contactor-products.cfm
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #14

Mine is under the hood at the battery control center.

(Flagship..I couldn't get your link to work)
Attached Images