Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shouldn't there be a special place?

A special place in (you-know-where)... For motorhome designers who put carpet in bathrooms!

Maybe sentence them to an eternity pulling out staples around toilets.

What crimes and punishments can YOU think of for these types of decision makers?Click image for larger version

Name:	1210191144.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	269087
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Im not sure about punishment, but I'd sure like to be the staple salesman to rv builders.
He probably lives in a mansion.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #3

I don't think carpet belongs in a RV in any room.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #4

I pulled enough weight in stapes from my floor to install a second generator up front and still had less weight on the axle.

They had three stapler guys, each with a different size gun and three 5-gallon bucket of assorted staples. These guys are given 10 days per chassis and strict instructions to not return with any in their buckets. My top 10 list of additional stapling rules are:

10) 3x staples under slides and anywhere else inaccessible once the coach is assembled over the floor.

9) Wherever one guy pops one in, the other two MUST outdo the first with goofy attack angles, sizes, and amounts. Think fire hydrant and dogs.

8) Every 4th staple must be driven directly into the floor without impinging on any carpeting material. These staples MUST protrude from the subfloor just enough to rip $5/ft vinyl plank flooring WITHOUT being visible to a microscope or yielding to extraction tools.

7) Creativity in placement is encouraged. Extra points for inaccessibility. Lose points for predictability.

6) At least one slide motor wire MUST be pierced by no less than three staples, no more than two of the same size.

5) Whenever possible, use the longest, most extraction-resistant staples.

4) Whenever possible, staple directly into subfloor, add a layer of staples for the carpet pad, and a third layer for the carpet itself. Leave them just bumpy enough to make your slide roller surface look like a golf ball.

3) If the subfloor cannot be lifted 20' with an electromagnet on a crane, more staples are required.

2) The more inaccessible/invisible a location, the more need to place staples of random sizes in random orientations.

1) Soaking staples in urine for a week prior to installation makes them more brittle and prone to breaking on extraction. The value of this preparation step must not be underestimated.

Feel free to add your own . . . it feels GREAT to vent!
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
I pulled enough weight in stapes from my floor to install a second generator up front and still had less weight on the axle.

They had three stapler guys, each with a different size gun and three 5-gallon bucket of assorted staples. These guys are given 10 days per chassis and strict instructions to not return with any in their buckets. My top 10 list of additional stapling rules are:

10) 3x staples under slides and anywhere else inaccessible once the coach is assembled over the floor.

9) Wherever one guy pops one in, the other two MUST outdo the first with goofy attack angles, sizes, and amounts. Think fire hydrant and dogs.

8) Every 4th staple must be driven directly into the floor without impinging on any carpeting material. These staples MUST protrude from the subfloor just enough to rip $5/ft vinyl plank flooring WITHOUT being visible to a microscope or yielding to extraction tools.

7) Creativity in placement is encouraged. Extra points for inaccessibility. Lose points for predictability.

6) At least one slide motor wire MUST be pierced by no less than three staples, no more than two of the same size.

5) Whenever possible, use the longest, most extraction-resistant staples.

4) Whenever possible, staple directly into subfloor, add a layer of staples for the carpet pad, and a third layer for the carpet itself. Leave them just bumpy enough to make your slide roller surface look like a golf ball.

3) If the subfloor cannot be lifted 20' with an electromagnet on a crane, more staples are required.

2) The more inaccessible/invisible a location, the more need to place staples of random sizes in random orientations.

1) Soaking staples in urine for a week prior to installation makes them more brittle and prone to breaking on extraction. The value of this preparation step must not be underestimated.

Feel free to add your own . . . it feels GREAT to vent!
I nominate this as post of the year!
Methinks you just about covered it all.....
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:09 PM   #6

My thinking is, NO engineer should be able to do any design work unless they have worked at least one year repairing what they were schooled to design.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concord View Post
A special place in (you-know-where)... For motorhome designers who put carpet in bathrooms!

Maybe sentence them to an eternity pulling out staples around toilets.

What crimes and punishments can YOU think of for these types of decision makers?Attachment 269087
And the person that bought the coach should be right next to the designer for making the designers decision a profitable one. If the people didn't buy the manufacturer would change the design.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #8

As an engineer, I assure you it's not that simple. My college roommate said "Engineering is nothing but a series of compromises". I'm 18+ years (man, I guess I'm getting old) into it and it's never been more true.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
As an engineer, I assure you it's not that simple. My college roommate said "Engineering is nothing but a series of compromises". I'm 18+ years (man, I guess I'm getting old) into it and it's never been more true.
And once the engineers come up with the optimal design the Marketing Department folks convince the decision makers to go in an entirely different direction because the optimal design doesn't have enough bling.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
And once the engineers come up with the optimal design the Marketing Department folks convince the decision makers to go in an entirely different direction because the optimal design doesn't have enough bling.
Or costs too much.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #11

Must be the same guy who decided putting it all around, and in the stairwell at the entrance. My entrance has vinyl flooring at the entrance, but some Einstein decided both sides of the stairwell would be more functional with carpet. At least no one is peeing on it there, but hard to keep clean if its muddy out. I haven't tried to remove the carpet, so I cant comment on the staple guy, but he must be a close relative of the guy at the lumber yard who staples the tarps on loads of lumber. He has to make sure there is at least two or three staples in the end of every board.

Tags
ace