Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 04:37 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Shoutout to General RV - Ridiculous

Trying to replace my coach batteries with either AGM or Lithium. Thought those of you considering using General RV for service.

First, they informed my that for subject service, battery replacement, one hour per battery at $199/hr, since I didn’t buy my RV from them. Ridiculous in terms of time...and rate.

FWIW, that is Lithium or AGM...now AGM is just a straight switch...maybe one hour labor. Lithium a little more as a DC to DC converter has to be done, not included in quote. In any event, $1600 labor for eight batteries...may want to consider versus other alternatives, although at that price I’m sure the wrenches used to tighten the bolts on the terminals are gold plated!
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 05:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
General RV is not in the battery business and probably only sell them for convenience or replacing when servicing an RV. With the price they quoted you, they sell very few batteries.

There are battery shops that only sell batteries that may be a better option. There are also a lot of automotive shops that would be happy to sell you AGM's, and install them, not so sure about lithium though.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:46 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wow....If I lived closer, I would do it for $300 and be done in about two hours, especially if they're on a tray. I could hire a day laborer for $50.00 and watch as he did it..
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:52 PM   #4

After that quote I would put them on my DO NOT call list.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #5

I purchased two RV’s from General RV in one year. First was an impulse Tiffin gasser and the second was a custom Tiffin Phaeton. I erroneously thought I should purchase from a dealer close to my house so I could easily have warranty work done. While waiting for the Tiffin build, I asked for a price from General RV for a Blue Ox/Air Force One brake system. Their price was over $7,5000. I received a quote for $4,600 from a service shop 20 miles from the dealer.

After taking delivery I drove it to the service shop for the tow package install. Received a call 2 hours after they started work on it informing me I had 2 air lines crimped and melted. I emailed my sales rep and this was his reply:

“I talked to service about this yesterday. I do not know what you should do and I don’t know if it is safe to drive. I am not sure if Finnigans is certified to work on Tiffin motor homes? When a non certified dealer messes with a coach, being Tiffin or anyone other manufacturer, it usually results in warranty issues. They will have to do their best to work with Tiffin to try and get those lines resolved.”

Taillight warranty. Worse part was they jammed an extended warranty on me which would have fixed this if Tiffin wouldn’t. Thank goodness Tiffin was great. Resigned that I’ll be driving to a red Bay for service.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:44 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Have bought coaches from General in MI as their prices are very reasonable. However, their service leaves "something to be desired". Therefore, our last 2 coaches have been Winnebagos where we can go to the factory for service. When we took delivery on our present one we told the salesman "Thanks you'll never see it again"
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a broken AC unit under warranty and called the Salt Lake City store. They told me if I didn't purchase it there they couldn't help me,
Old 02-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #8

Generals RV's service is the absolute worst. For the short time we owned our Tiffin and had to deal with them was the most frustrating. When you show up they act like they are doing you a favor by letting them service you ! My sales guy is the best and we have become friends over the years but when we decided to switch to Newmar, I went to a dealer 200 miles away because General didn't carry Newmar. When they did get the Newmar line he said I could get a great price. I told him I was sorry, price is one thing, but I have to live with the rest of your company forever, but please inform your management I couldn't buy from you because I would have to deal with your service department. My brother in law had an even worse time and found out we were on " the secret list " of customers that are difficult and expect them to do their job. I know there is a shortage of techs but a place like General has enough clout to start a school to train people.....sad
FunnwithGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:29 PM   #9

Coach batteries

I have a General close to my home in michigan but avoid going there, just don't like them
, I've found a couple of mechanical repair shops near me to do work I don't or won't do myself , and I've so far been able to do all the coach repairs myself, but I did find a battery shop close to my Milford home that installed new batteries in my american eagle for $20 labor, although just lead acid, they did a great job , even replaced a couple of cable ends and tolaiiy cleaned and painted the battery tray as well. It pays to shop.

2000 American Eagle
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, their choice to charge what they want. Your choice to go somewhere else.
Simple!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:58 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It's pretty common knowledge RV dealers are on the high side for shop rates, so that price should be no surprise. You will nearly always find better rates at independent shops.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:20 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Worst experience I ever had with any of our last 5 RV’s was with General RV, I learned my lesson.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:46 PM   #13
sj

The one time i went to General RV for service was no problem. They fixed what needed done quickly and under warranty. It was minor, tho.
At purchase, their intro to my new toyhauler was useless - this is the fridge, this is the bed etc. Figured I'd get the info from manual (ha!).