Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #1

Shower not draining

Hi there,
We are brand new to motor homes, and we purchased a 2009 35e Fleetwood bounder. We are still ironing out a few wrinkles, but we'll get there eventually😊

Our shower is not draining at all. We are finding our manuals very difficult to decipher. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? We checked the drain, but the shower was only used a few times by my husband who is bald, so no hair balls😃

We tried a plunger no luck. We called our service person who has no idea, so I'm sending out this smoke signal hoping someone can give us some ideas.

I look forward to a solution😃
Baggies23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #2

Is your gray water tank full? If so, empty it and see if the shower drains.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #3

First make sure your grey water tank is drained and drains properly.

If that's OK, use one of those plastic snakes attached to a garden hose to see if you can free it up. Most likely just a soap/hair plug that solidified there while it was sitting before you bought it.

In fact, it might loosen itself up since you've start pouring water in there again. So you could try the plunger again.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the gray tank full? Shower is low point and typically backs up if gray tank is full.

Are you the original owner, so no previous owner usage? If previous owner usage likely just clogged from hair, soap gunk, etc. I used the Drano (thick constancy variety) on our shower and lav drains - opened them right up,
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggies23 View Post
Hi there,
We are brand new to motor homes, and we purchased a 2009 35e Fleetwood bounder. We are still ironing out a few wrinkles, but we'll get there eventuallydde0a

Our shower is not draining at all. We are finding our manuals very difficult to decipher. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? We checked the drain, but the shower was only used a few times by my husband who is bald, so no hair ballsdde03

We tried a plunger no luck. We called our service person who has no idea, so I'm sending out this smoke signal hoping someone can give us some ideas.

I look forward to a solutiondde03
I assume that all other drains going into the gray tank are flowing properly and the gray tank is not full. There is no valve or anything else between the shower and the tank. The shower is essentially plumbed like a residential shower there is a trap directly below the shower and then the plumbing flows to the holding tank.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and in the plumbing dept they sell a plastic strip about 18" long with angled teeth along both sides. If there is a drain guard over the drain, pop it off and with some water in the shower pan, run this snake devise in and out the drain with great vigor. You should be able to push it around the bend in the trap. I'm guessing that the motorhome has been unused for a period of time and the hair and soap scum has hardened into a plug.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #6

My 2 cents ... go to Lowes, buy one of those plastic drain cleaners called "Zip-It". Cheap but very effective at snagging onto yucky hair, etc in the drain and dragging it out. Works for us and a first step prior to going to the chemical hair melt cleaners.

I trust you have already drained the waste tank to eliminate that possibility.

Edit: Geesh, somebody beat me to the Zip-It suggestion while I was typing. <lol>
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Baggies23,
Welcome to iRV2. My solution is just like at the house. Consider:
1. Fill the grey tank to 3/4.
2. Get some Drano and follow the instructions.
3. When it comes to flushing the Drano into the holding tank continue filling the tank until it is full.
4. Dump the tank.

The plumbing in the coach is the same as in the house (except for the drain valve). The Drano will be very diluted when passing the drain valve. Been doing this since 1978 without any problem.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #8

Make sure you shower drain does not have a shut off like you would sometimes see in a bathtub. These work by pushing down to close and then pulling up to open. So why would this type of drain opening be in a shower? I don't know but that is exactly what is my MH shower. When I first got it I must have stepped on it while taking a shower and it filled up with water. My first though was the grey tank is full or the drain line is stopped up. After about and hour of trying to figure out what the problem was I discovered the drain could be closed and opened as described. No problems since then.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for your quick responses. They were extremely helpful and the problem was solved�� It's very intimidating trying to figure everything out and also a bit embarrassing having to ask questions to simple problems.

Thank you so much all of you��
Baggies23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggies23 View Post
Thank you everyone for your quick responses. They were extremely helpful and the problem was solved�� It's very intimidating trying to figure everything out and also a bit embarrassing having to ask questions to simple problems.

Thank you so much all of you��
Glad you got it fixed! So, what was the problem?

And don't worry about asking simple questions! We were ALL newbies at one time.

Tags
shower