Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2022, 09:23 AM   #1

Shower skylight cracked - question about leaks

I’m wondering if it sounds “possible” that having a huge chunk out of the outer layer (inner layer appears to be solid) of the skylight above the shower in my 34’ Forest river windsong could cause a leak that somehow could make its way down to the bathroom floor? Or does this sound a bit far fetched?

Edit - by crack I mean 1/5th of the skylight outer layer is non existent. If you look at my previous threads I shared photos of the water damage subfloor in the bathroom. Still can’t figure out where the leaks coming from. I thought it may have been a pipe burst or leaky toilet but upon running water through every faucet and toilet for hours on end trying to reproduce a leak with the flooring ripped up I can’t feel anything wet. My initial suspicion was the slide gasket and that the water ran under all the way to the bathroom where the bathtub is.. but even that was a bit far fetched to me. Sure, 6-7 droplets of water did come in where the slide gasket seal is pulled out slightly (kitchen slide) however I had the hose on it running for 30 minutes before that occurred and considering the damage and the extent of how far the water travelled I’m having a difficult time believing it came from the slide gasket alone.

I have it covered with duct tape and plastic at the moment but I’ll add a photo of it anyway. I’m having a hell of a time figuring where this dang leak is originating as even the walls all feel solid to me I went over them inch by inch trying to find a soft spot and can’t find a thing!

I also included a photo of the front sort of off topic but was wondering if anybody had any idea what’s up with the huge white rectangle area - if it looks like a patch job or not.

Here is a video https://youtu.be/vV3MQrcw5fU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15837975-CC9B-4B90-8521-C8473D6D282A.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	365957   Click image for larger version

Name:	EEBC0562-5DA9-4A49-BA61-427B1638DE17.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	365958  

NovaScotiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2022, 09:36 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Bingo! Sounds like you are on the right track.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:54 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Here is a place to get a replacement skylight:

https://www.eztopsworldwide.com/rvsk...hoCaDkQAvD_BwE
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:04 AM   #4

Here’s a video of the skylight

https://youtube.com/shorts/uKaVyBRqsN8?feature=share
Old 05-19-2022, 11:20 AM   #5

When mine cracked in two places because a large branch jumped out at the skylight and damaged it, I used Eternabond tape to cover the cracks. I meant to replace the outer skylight dome but never got around to it and it never leaked in the 12 years afterwards.

I did also surround the base of the skylight with E-Bond.

Can't tell how extensive the damage is on yours, might be time for a new one.

That other white patch looks like the AC was leaking through the seal and damaged the wood up there, and that's the patch over the repair. That's what it looks like. RV's don't come with that patch.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:35 PM   #6

Leaks don't always appear right under a failed spot on the roof. Water can it a structural member and run sideways before heading downward or run along under the membrane before finding a seam or crack in the sheathing.

As someone who's fixed a lot of roof leaks, the first thing I'd be doing is fixing the skylight. It screams leak to me. Always take care of the obvious first, and keep a close eye on the results. If you still have signs of a leak, don't get tunnel vision when looking for the source. Sure, I always looked right above where the leak shows inside, but if the area above looks sound, increase your search area. Sometimes going up on the roof right after a rain and pressing on the roof membrane with your foot can get either bubbles or water to reveal a leak. If you've eliminated everything it could be, check things you don't think it could be.

I've been stumped before, and looked over, and over, many times before finally finding where the leak was.

Good luck.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
When mine cracked in two places because a large branch jumped out at the skylight and damaged it, I used Eternabond tape to cover the cracks. I meant to replace the outer skylight dome but never got around to it and it never leaked in the 12 years afterwards.

I did also surround the base of the skylight with E-Bond.

Can't tell how extensive the damage is on yours, might be time for a new one.

That other white patch looks like the AC was leaking through the seal and damaged the wood up there, and that's the patch over the repair. That's what it looks like. RV's don't come with that patch.

Thanks for the information! Appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Leaks don't always appear right under a failed spot on the roof. Water can it a structural member and run sideways before heading downward or run along under the membrane before finding a seam or crack in the sheathing.

As someone who's fixed a lot of roof leaks, the first thing I'd be doing is fixing the skylight. It screams leak to me. Always take care of the obvious first, and keep a close eye on the results. If you still have signs of a leak, don't get tunnel vision when looking for the source. Sure, I always looked right above where the leak shows inside, but if the area above looks sound, increase your search area. Sometimes going up on the roof right after a rain and pressing on the roof membrane with your foot can get either bubbles or water to reveal a leak. If you've eliminated everything it could be, check things you don't think it could be.

I've been stumped before, and looked over, and over, many times before finally finding where the leak was.

Good luck.
Thank you 😊 I will definitely do as you instruct. Appreciate your time and comment!
Old 05-19-2022, 11:28 PM   #8
US1

With your skylight missing a large section of the outer cover, that is a direct path for water into the RV. I surprised the ceiling above the tub is not rotten. Have you pushed on the tub surround wall? Id think it would soft. Might be why the outside wall near your slide out is delaminated, not from the slide out gasket, but from water running down the outer wall from the skylight? Which would also explain some of the flooring issues, since the bathroom floor looks to be the worst and lessens as you go out past the bathroom wall and into the dining booth area. I'm not so convince its a slide out seal leak knowing of the skylight damage.

I see no reason to remove the styrofoam under the subfloor myself. Possibly carefully remove a small test spot to see what's underneath it to help decide further demolition?

Per your other thread (YT video), it certainly looks like the window is a huge contributor to the water damage as the wall is delaminated below the window, more than the slide out seal, with the floor below the window appearing as the worst. Or at least as far as I can see from the video.

Good luck
Old 05-21-2022, 06:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
With your skylight missing a large section of the outer cover, that is a direct path for water into the RV. I surprised the ceiling above the tub is not rotten. Have you pushed on the tub surround wall? Id think it would soft. Might be why the outside wall near your slide out is delaminated, not from the slide out gasket, but from water running down the outer wall from the skylight? Which would also explain some of the flooring issues, since the bathroom floor looks to be the worst and lessens as you go out past the bathroom wall and into the dining booth area. I'm not so convince its a slide out seal leak knowing of the skylight damage.

I see no reason to remove the styrofoam under the subfloor myself. Possibly carefully remove a small test spot to see what's underneath it to help decide further demolition?

Per your other thread (YT video), it certainly looks like the window is a huge contributor to the water damage as the wall is delaminated below the window, more than the slide out seal, with the floor below the window appearing as the worst. Or at least as far as I can see from the video.

Good luck
From what I can tell the ceiling across the entire MH appears to be solid. I’ll have to do another check but me and my wife were both up on the roof and couldn’t find anything that resembled a weak point in the structure. Can’t tell from the inside (pushing up) either. Which is even more confusing because I would have assumed the same thing. All the interior walls are also “solid” besides that basically hollow wall that I show where the electrical outlet was moved (the wall that’s sandwiched between the bathroom toilet and the kitchen slide out).

I ended up doing some demolishing. And there was a significant amount of soaked wood under what appeared to be dry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9CB4E9A0-E537-41EC-88ED-3521BBAE30C1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	366143   Click image for larger version

Name:	FD57DC98-359B-4357-903F-A841752432D9.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	366144  

Name:	8B44E9FF-2157-42DD-A7C4-C75FB99285EB.jpg