Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #15

First time class A jockey myself but I'm a mirror guy who is busy scanning and being aware what is around me. My coach doesn't have the sides, and unless I have money to burn, will stick with mirrors.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 10:18 PM   #16

I have side cameras and NEVER use them. The problem for me with the side camera monitor, is looking in 2 different locations ( the mirror and the dash) and that all takes time away from looking at the road. I use a solution that is in one area, so I don't have to move direction of vision and re-focus.

I started driving tractor trailers 40+ years ago. It didn't take me long to realize a fresnel lens completely eliminates the blind spot on the right front side. I have one on my Class A shotgun seat window. It can be easily re-located, no moving parts, inexpensive, and works great. If you have your mirrors (flat and convex) adjusted properly and a fresnel lens placed in the right spot, no car can hide from you over on that far side. A great deal for less than 15 bucks. All the best.

Amazon.com: CIPA 60100 Wide Angle Lens - 8" x 10": Automotive
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:09 AM   #17

I was thrilled when my MH came with side cameras but found I never use them.
For me my mirrors are much better and easier to use.
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:14 AM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Neither of my previous MH's had them. Used the mirrors and got along just fine. New coach has them and I rarely use them. They do however allow you to see stuff you can't with just the mirrors. I would also say that glancing at the screen or glancing at a mirror is virtually the same motion, doesn't take any longer, isn't any more safe or unsafe than anything else you do while driving/maneuvering the coach. One thing I do like is I can split the screen and see behind me and both sides all at the same time if I choose to. All that being said, they are just another tool to use among the many at your disposal. If I didn't have them I personally wouldn't spend the $$$$ to add them, but since they are there I have found them useful on occasion.
Dave
MoHo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCarnathan View Post
The side-view camera is another useful safety tool. As I pull out to pass a slower vehicle, I can see that I've passed him in the always-on rear camera. I use my signal, thus activating the side-view camera, and change lanes. This helps me to see the blind spot and make certain some idiot hasn't taken that brief moment to pull up beside me.

Could I live without the side-view cameras? Probably. But why would I?

Pat in Menifee, CA

Couldn’t agree more, it’s hard to have to many views in my opinion. I even changed my B/W system for a color one. Much nicer with the color system.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #20

Mine has the side camera that works with the turn signal. I find that I rarely use it at all. I rely far more on my mirrors. I hate glancing down at the dash, then shift focus to the mirror, then focus straight ahead then repeat. Typically I have already cleared the side in my mirror before I put the turn signal on and thus get a camera view.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #21

Disconnected my side view cameras. The delay time in switching was 2-3 seconds in both directions. I too can see better using mirrors. I watch the rear camera to know when it’s safe to change lanes. That camera is not visible when the side view is displayed.
I have thought about adding two small monitors to hook the side cameras to, but haven’t been motivated enough to do it yet.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
It didn't take me long to realize a fresnel lens completely eliminates the blind spot on the right front side. I have one on my Class A shotgun seat window. It can be easily re-located, no moving parts, inexpensive, and works great. If you have your mirrors (flat and convex) adjusted properly and a fresnel lens placed in the right spot, no car can hide from you over on that far side. A great deal for less than 15 bucks. All the best.

Amazon.com: CIPA 60100 Wide Angle Lens - 8" x 10": Automotive
I also rely on a 6" X 8" sticky plastic fresnel lens on my entry door window to detect those sneaky little buggers who like to zip up and camp in your right side blind spot. I have side cameras but hate the time delay between turn signal activation and video display.

Unfortunately, most RVers haven't been fortunate enough to receive professional CDL driver training including how to adjust and use the mirrors properly.

I find the side cameras most useful when checking for low obstacles close on the sides when backing into a campsite, parking the correct distance from a curb or finding the source of strange noises around me when Wallydocking at night.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #23

I realize these threads on this subject always turn to the "why do we even need side cameras?" argument but I guess they always will.

As a retired commercial driver, I agree with those who say "USE MIRRORS" as convex mirrors in the appropriate places and adjusted property will eliminate most blind spots. I've added additional convex mirrors to my right-side mirror housing and I'm perfectly content and comfortable with it.

I've also disabled my side cameras as they are distraction to me personally.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Someone on the forum recently posted about a 360 degree view camera system. Looking the vendors web site, that is something that I would like! However it is around $2300 installed.

I have side cameras and use them as another aid, I don't find glancing at the monitor distracting, if I'm looking towards the right at the mirror, check that its clear and put on the signal, it doesn't take much to glance at the monitor. Each to their own.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera