Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #57

Alpine Owners Club
Don, you might look at the Alpine line, they made side doors right up to 2009 had massive tanks and were well insulated and even our older one has plenty of CCC when loaded up. I had it weighed with all our gear on it for a week, 100gal fuel, 100gal water and it had over 900lbs available in front and 1100 in back. Just a couple of years after ours was built they went to a heavier front axle as the coaches got heavier and the CCC went up by right around 1000lbs.

BTW if you're in Champaign/Urbana and see a little old lady driving a Volvo S-40 the wrong way on a one way street wave nicely, that's probably my Aunt, a retired professor at the university.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #58

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
Jerry
there are no councils that "stick out" on any diesel pusher that I have seen
The passanger seat is in fact equal in alinement to the drivers seat
the front entrance actually is the most convienient location when u look at travel and living combined contrary to your view
There is no wasted space.There is no so called manurvering around the seat as u like to put it. [moderator edit]
Sometimes I gotta wonder if people write things just to instigate.

I admit to being a newbie so have not “seen it all” but it appears that the high-end front door coaches I have looked at or perused online have a center console that sticks out into the pathway of the door and have the passenger seat not in line with the driver. The Sportscoach I looked at this weekend is that way and here is a link to Coachmen floorplans and pictures for those unfamiliar with the concept.

Floorplans - Sports Coach Pathfinder RD - Coachmen RV

Similarly with Newmar
http://www.newmarcorp.com/filemanage...h_lightbox.png

Check out the Itasca Ellipse
2013 Itasca Ellipse Motor Home for Sale | Class A Diesel RV

Tiffin Phaeton
2013 Phaeton Gallery | Tiffin Motorhomes

So what are the front entrance coaches that do not have a protruding center console that requires avoiding when entering and would impede moving large items in or out?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Ahicks, a 4 slide coach really doesn't eliminate a mid entry at all. In fact, IMO it enhances it. Some of the premium coaches (Newell, London Air, etc) offered it ~ sometimes as the only choice. See here: California Coach Company

Here's a couple of more reasons I prefer mid door models.
1) If you have carpeting in the salon, it doesn't doom it to becoming filty.
2) It's easy to have a "foyer" that's not the passenger's foot space.
3) On a Newel I toured, it had an additional awning just over the mid entry door. Even if it was windy, the awning was sheltered between the slides, so I could remain partially extended (there were also to full coach roof awnings ~ talk about having the best of all worlds!).

Just my two cents.

Mark
Mark, sorry, my mind generally doesn't enter into the 40'+ range when considering such things as door location. Actually, my mind doesn't enter into the 40'+ range at any time! Your point well taken, and your example looks pretty attractive to me! As a side door enthusiast would definitely be interested if we ever decide to go that big... -Al
Old 11-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #60

Gulf Streamers Club
If I had a Side Entry door, I would lose one of my two chairs behind the passenger seat. I only have 34' to play with and that size is dictated by the size of my barn. Would I like a side entry, yes if I did not lose my seating. I do miss not being able to enter and exit under the awning. Having a small awning over the door is not the same. We are satisfied with our front entry though we probably could live with either if the floor plan is correct. As far as grocery loading, we normally park the car at the front of the motor home and a side door or front door would not make any difference. the galley is the same distance to the front bumper either way. The only time it makes a difference is at home with the coach parked in front of the garage side of the house.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
For us I could live with either door location, floorplan layout depicts which coach we prefer, door location is secondary. In our case we ended up with a front door.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #62

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
I think one day all motorhome engines will be in the back.
Doesn't look like in since Spartan has announced a new front engine gas powered chassis.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90
For us I could live with either door location, floorplan layout depicts which coach we prefer, door location is secondary. In our case we ended up with a front door.
Us too. Just tagging on here as I've been following along and posting. Couple of other thoughts have come to mind.

First, one of my least favorite things to do is bring in groceries - home or Motorhome. You can have your pool cleaned, lawn mowed, and house cleaned but when it comes to bringing home the bacon (now we're talking) we're on our own.

Second, I never rented, bought or even considered where the door was located in a permanent residence based on bringing in tons of bacon. Through the front door, garage, whatever - no consideration of where the door was. Although I once did not buy a house that the addition was such that the garage entry was into a bedroom then into the kitchen. I could have brought the bacon in but just didn't like the garage and bedroom being connected by a door. No offense toy hauler owners.

I think it's intreating that there are such strong feelings about door location when talking about living space <= 45 feet. Maybe it's because space is at a premium but again, it would seem a side door must be 3 feet wider than a front door and a country mile closer to sitting bags of bacon on the kitchen countertop.

So is it possible some of this is based less on where the door is or ingress / egress, and more on getting the bacon on the stove as fast as possible.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #64

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very interesting read, however I don't care where they put the door if they would just give me "curb side or awning side dining" instead of having to look at the neighbors campsite with the sun in my face, and my wife could hand me a brew through the window while I sit under my awning. Why is that simple request so hard for the mfgrs. to understand, especially if you have a slide? I guess they have never actually camped in a MH.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we were looking at DP's, before buying what we have, I saw a few with the side entry's, I really like this configuration and when we upgrade that's what I'll be looking for, just makes since for us. If your happy with your front entry more power to you.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I'm shocked at the number of people posting here that want a side door entry !! they really need to be speaking to the manufacturers because they evidently aren't getting your point across to them. They're have had several side door versions over the years and they have become Niche players and not main stream .
Old 11-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49
Very interesting read, however I don't care where they put the door if they would just give me "curb side or awning side dining" instead of having to look at the neighbors campsite with the sun in my face, and my wife could hand me a brew through the window while I sit under my awning. Why is that simple request so hard for the mfgrs. to understand, especially if you have a slide? I guess they have never actually camped in a MH.
Agree, we have awning side dining and you can often see food & drink passing in and out of the window. Now if we had a mid door we wouldn't have to use the window!!!

something for the weekend...1968 Vanguard Camper on 1989 GMC 2500
Open Roaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:50 AM   #68

Well we are no way experts on rving as this is our 1st. one. We looked for a yr and a half. Knew we want side door and a drivers door fuel on drivers side with one slide on drivers side living area.Many reason for this to fit us. We also went with gas engine v10.
Opinions vary along with ones needs.
TRELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I'm shocked at the number of people posting here that want a side door entry !! they really need to be speaking to the manufacturers because they evidently aren't getting your point across to them. They're have had several side door versions over the years and they have become Niche players and not main stream .
The numbers I have seen show that the Class A Motorhome market is split almost evenly between gas and diesel units. Virtually all the gas units are side entry. Additionally, some diesel units are side entry. Suggesting that 50% + of the market are niche players would be quite a stretch.

As we were looking at the different Motorhomes we really liked the side entry. Both my wife and I much prefer this layout and it would definitely factor into our purchasing decision.
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #70

Damon Owners Club
Well I just have to add my 2cents to the last responder. I too have a 34' with s side entry and bought specifically for the space behind the pass door- had a small sofa there. It's an 06 Damon Daybreak and while that floorplan isn't out now they do custom plans if you so desire.
I show dogs and needed the space behind the seat for 6 crates and took out that sofa, still have larger one on other side.
The convience of being able to put groceries and supplies in and out, not to mention the dogs far surpasses ever owning a front entry. The awning over the door provides coverage from sun on hot days or rain while loading and unloading is great.
I am continually disappointed at floor plans as I look at newer and larger models - who doesn't - all the time. Guess I'll just keep mine for a few more years. :-))
Ridgmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door