RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Oooooo...... That looks like more that just a crack in the fiberglass.... Definitely left a mark didn't it..... I smashed my passenger side mirror and that's when I discovered just how poorly MH mirrors are attached to the coach.... Long screws through one thin layer of fiberglass....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 06:00 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't break the fiberglass but my driver side mirror came loose. One screw pulled loose and the other broke. The back 2 screws held the mirror on, barely.
I tried all kinds of fixes to get it back on using the original holes. Finally a guy at the hardware store told me he had the same thing happen, went through the same process I was with no results and ended up lowering the mirror a bit and putting in 4 new stainless steel screws. I filled the holes, lowered the mirror a bit so it still covered the old holes and put the new screws in. So far, so good.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:30 AM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
I opened my generator section which gave me access to where the screws came through the fiberglass..... I then cut I piece of oak 1" X 2", pre drilled the screw holes in the wood, had someone hold the wood in place and drove the screws through the fiberglass into the wood and now my mirror is rock solid.....
Old 08-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I opened my generator section which gave me access to where the screws came through the fiberglass..... I then cut I piece of oak 1" X 2", pre drilled the screw holes in the wood, had someone hold the wood in place and drove the screws through the fiberglass into the wood and now my mirror is rock solid.....
I really wish I could have done the same thing. The upper mirror bolts would have come through the inside above the dashboard and the lowers would have been somewhere under the dashboard where no man, woman or child could have found them.

I don't understand why ( I do, actually, they're cheap) manufacturers put a heavy mirror on with 4 inch and a half number 14 wood screws. Not even stainless steel. They should have a metal plate with welded nuts on it backing these things up. More cheap shortcuts by the manufacturers.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
You got it..... Cheapest way possible.... Once the screws are stripped out of the original holes in the fiberglass, there's no way the mirrors can be solidly mounted again without some sort of modification..... Also - it doesn't take much of an impact to strip the screws.....
Old 08-03-2017, 06:38 PM   #34

Drove over that dam once to save the toll on 95 ($25). That was the first and last time I drove over it. I gladly pay the toll now.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #35

Update: I tried to get a new mirror sent to our campground we were staying at, but could not make it happen. We decided to drive home (1.5 hours) I had a great spotter in the passenger seat and the side camera helped big time. We made it home with njo problems. I will update on the repairs. Thanks for all the comments and helpful suggestions.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:09 PM   #36

Yep, we had an incident on that dam back in 1976. Not my favorite place.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #37

Here is the fix. Who needs a body shop...it seems stronger than before. Again, sorry for the sideways pic nowClick image for larger version

Name:	20170804_163204.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	171692
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote