Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2014, 05:09 AM   #1

SIDE Mount RADIATORS...good/bad/ugly?

When looking at DPs, there are "normal" radiator placements, and side mounts.

Is there any reason why one would be the way to go over the other? Having read one thread where R&R of a side mount was over $6000, is that typical?

Do side-mounts cool better? Last longer? Provide any benefit over traditional ones?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 05:22 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The side mounts tend to get better airflow through them, and at the same time suck in less dust and debris commonly found at the rear of the coach when traveling.

You will see most, if not all, of the higher end coaches from all manufacturers and all the high end coaches from the high end manufacturers use side mount radiators.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post

Is there any reason why one would be the way to go over the other? Having read one thread where R&R of a side mount was over $6000, is that typical?

Do side-mounts cool better? Last longer? Provide any benefit over traditional ones?
They both have their good and bad points.

Side radiator allow much easier access for routine maintenance but you give up some basement storage, they have more components to possible fail.

Rear radiators are driven by the engine directly like older cars, no additional parts to fail, you don't give up basement storage but routine maintenance is very difficult, can't mount anything that would block air flow like a motorcycle lift.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:28 AM   #4

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Accessing the engine becomes more problematic with rear radiator as well.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hello Rick, I am going to say the big reason that I went with a side radiator when looking, is for the ease of doing the maintance work on the engine. I do all my own manintance work, and when I open the rear outside engine cover, it is right there. With a rear radiator, just changing belts is a big deal with the radiator and charge air cooler right in front of the engine, let alone other jobs that will come up. There are a lot of both out there, the side radiator makes the maintance easier. A lot has to be done from inside the bedroom, under the engine cover in the bedroom on a rear radiator model. As far as does one work better than the other.......No.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Another advantage to side radiator, is you have direct access to the engine for maintenance or belt replacement. One other disadvantage of the rear radiator is they tend to get oily film from the engine blow by tubes and this causes dirt to clog the venting.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:53 AM   #7

Many great points here. The hydraulics [eg pump, hoses, motor] required to operate a side mount are generally dependable but can be expensive to fix. A friend recently had an alternator freeze on his late-model rear radiator coach--fortunately the coach was still under warranty but the bill was over $2200 for just the labor. Even replacing the serpentine belt on his coach looks like a major effort. As a DIY kinda guy--I would opt for a side mount.
PS--add in things like EGRs and DEF injection on the newer coaches and you have a real "rats-nest" to work on or to pay someone to. Access to critical engine components is paramount to reducing labor costs on Rvs.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:05 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Everyone has given the reasons between the different mounts...... I do all of my own maintenance and wouldn't even think of owning a rear mount. I am sure shop rates are based the same way. Regular maintenance could eat up any savings of a rear mounted radiatior.

My previous MH was 12 years old and never needed the radiator pulled. With good maintenance there should never be a problem to requiring the expense of pulling the radiator.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:10 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post

Didn't hear anyone else bring up this side radiator benefit......

Many side mounted radiators that use hydraulic fans, have two speed hydraulic motors. This means dependent upon temperature, the fan can spin slow or fast, making less noise, and also using less engine horsepower.

The rear radiator coaches tend to have direct drive fans.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We have had our rear-radiator RV for more than 10 years, and I do most of the work on it. Although engine access does not compare with a side-mount, it has not been a big deal for me, to work on the engine. If I paid a dealer for everything, I imagine the bills would be higher for the labor, on a rear-mount, but the additional hydraulic hoses, motors, bearings, etc of a side-mount, may offset that. I don't know for sure,

But I do know that I can remove only 3 bolts, and take up the metal engine-access plate under the bed, and get to everything that I can't get from under the engine. I just replaced the serpentine belt tensioner, belt; the V-belt pulley and tensioner, and the V-belt driving the water pump, and cleaned the CAC and radiator (and the engine), here at home. This week I will replace the engine air filter, and engine A/C compressor and receiver-drier, as the shaft-seal on the compressor is shot, and the A//C has stopped working a long time ago. I bought a new, OEM compressor on-line, for 1/3rd the price of the dealers parts-dept.

If I were to buy another RV, I'd consider either rear or side-mount, as there are other things that are more important to me.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #11

Wish some of you guys lived close by so I could sponge knowledge instead of OJT Mighty steep learning curve, but at labor rates of $100/hour, there's alot of incentive to think things through, isn't there?

Well, I have to say that RVs are much worse than boats. Here I am having owned my first DP for all of two months and I'm already in the hunt for something else. What's wrong with me??

Old 06-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Didn't hear anyone else bring up this side radiator benefit......

Many side mounted radiators that use hydraulic fans, have two speed hydraulic motors. This means dependent upon temperature, the fan can spin slow or fast, making less noise, and also using less engine horsepower.

The rear radiator coaches tend to have direct drive fans.
I disagree. Most late model rear radiator fans employ an electric viscous clutch which gives two speed fans. Additionally late model diesels no longer use a slobber tube. The crankcase is not vented to the atmosphere and therefore you no longer get the oily radiator. You still have to clean them periodically just to get road debris out just the same as a side radiator. General maintenance is a tad more difficult on a rear radiator, but the cost of the initial purchase is generally lower as people erroneously think that they are poorer and less useful design.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
The side mounts tend to get better airflow through them, and at the same time suck in less dust and debris commonly found at the rear of the coach when traveling.

You will see most, if not all, of the higher end coaches from all manufacturers and all the high end coaches from the high end manufacturers use side mount radiators.
That about covers it.

However, I did hate to lose that storage bin...now I have to get by with 12 rather than 13.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:18 AM   #14

[QUOTE=bamaboy473;2114980]
Well, I have to say that RVs are much worse than boats. Here I am having owned my first DP for all of two months and I'm already in the hunt for something else. What's wrong with me??
QUOTE]

Nothing I can think of . Your situation is normal. However if you feel you need to talk about this some more , we can set up an appointment , my rates are, $$$

EDIT: BTW . in your original post you asked about a side mount rad R&R being $6,000, I believe that was a rear rad unit, as one manufacturer had a set up where either you had to cut slots in the coaches rear fiberglass cap to remove the rad , or pay to have the whole rear cap removed if you didn't want to have the cutting done. My side rad could be out in an hour.

Tags
radiator