Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Side rad's are nice for many reasons as mentioned. They stay cleaner, runs cooler, easier maintenance when working on the engine area.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post

be careful of the side radiator coaches also. Some of the older tiffins and a couple of other brands I believe had cooling issues with their side mounted radiators. I suspet the issue is that the radiator is a tad too small in those ( this includes mine) Read up on the problem and try and avoid those years and models.
Can you please provide some Internet references to this fact?

I've owned this side radiator for 10 years, 2002 Monaco Windsor and have never had any cooling problems to date and I do not want to have any in the future.

I'd sure like to read more about this problem.

Thanks.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #17

Not true on low HP and side radiators...Monaco had 5.9 and 8.3c with 300hp or less with side radiators for years.

I personally like the side version...much easier access to engine
Old 09-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I wonder if Gemeni is referring to the Aluminum radiator issues? Mine had to be replaced on my 05 Inspire. It's one of the items (along with PTO) that needs to be checked if buying.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #19

You want a side radiator. There is no good reason to have a rear one and several good reasons to have a side radiator. Getting to your motor for maintenance and keeping funk off your radiator and clogging it up are two reasons to have a side.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Guys here is a post whee they list some of the problems.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/how-t...mps-10574.html

My understanding is freightliner never issued a recall to fix the problem. If you were under warranty and had problems they did the stuff mentioned in one of the posts for that link. I am in the process now of trying to figure out what has been done to my coach under that repair and whether or not the problem is going to continue. By the time my coach had the fan controller replaced it was getting cool enough for me not to have the issue. I did not get a chance to go out west in the tall mountains to see if it was still there this summer but hopefully can next summer. I have noticed that on the hydraulic tank for my unit has a sticker that says to fill with 5 w 40 motor oil. I looked and someone has hydrauilc fluid in there instead of motor oil. One of the problems they had with doing this is that the increased pressure of the oil versus hydraulic fluid caused the radiator that cools the hydraulic fluid to ruptuer and they had to put a new higher pressure unit in. I do not know if I have that higher pressure unit in yet and am going to call freighliner and talk to them about it. I know that I looked at a 2007 bus that was 42 ft versus 38 ft and the one thing I noticed was a considerably larger radiator. There is quite a bit of information about it on the net. It only seems to be certain years that have the problem and then not all units. I think for the allegro bus it was the ISL engine pre 2006. Like the poster said in the link and what I believe is that the radiator is too small for extreme loads. By extremem I mean pulling a toad, In very hot days, At high altitudes. The air is thinner and the radiator just cannot get enough heat transfer. I am going to add that I do not know if mine still has a problem. I never did get into the limp home mode but I was shifting down to second to keep the RPMs maxed out and that got kind of old having to go up a mountain at 45 miles an hour when the engine had plenty of power to pull me up at higher speeds but if I let the transmission shift to a higher gear and lower the rpm then it started getting hot.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator