Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Side Striping Tape Care Fleetwood Storm -

I am a newbie to the RV world. I bought a 2003 Fleetwood Storm 31-A and the taped striping on the sidewalls of the coach is somewhate faded and oxidized. I have found the Meguire's 50 for the fiberglass sides, but am worried about using it on the taped striping. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks so much for your kind attention.

Kent
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Kent,
Congrats on your purchase and adventure into the RV world. I, like you, am rather new to RVing (purchased our current 2003 Fleetwood Storm in August of 2009). Never RVing before made me a little nervous about owning and driving a motorhome. But with some practice, guidance and this wonderful forum, I have become an avid supporter of Rving and love driving and camping in our Storm (affectionately named "Mac" as in Fleetwood Mac. Depending on your age and taste in music, you may understand that reference.

So far, we have replaced all tires, reupholstered the dinette and all window treatments and replaced the couch with a leather couch. I have updated some of the lights and am in the process of changing all cabinette hardware to a brushed aluminum. Our Rv was in almost perfect shape but we wanted to change the interior to give it a more modern look. Next step is to figure what to do with the floor (carpet, Alure or a combination).

As far as issues with Mac - we had a "service engine soon light" come on twice that after paying a mecahnic $85 for the first time to reset it because they couldn't find anything wrong I purchased a diagnostic tool to do it myself. Other than that, my only issue is my water pump is very loud. I have discovered that with the help of this forum that my issue was really the lines vibrating (haven't fixed that just yet).

For outside maintenance - I have applied Poli glow to the the exterior. I put this own two weeks ago so I can't attest to any long-term results. But so far, I love it. My rig shines like new and bugs just rinse off. I also use Bio Kleen as the black streak remover and another Bio Kleen product for my awning (clean and protect). This stuff is awesome! Now to your original question - I have never used Mcguires but I have not found a product that successfully restores faded striping. The Poli Glow that I applied worked well over the stripes and decals but the end result was a shiny (but still faded) striping. The only real way to do a quality fix is to remove and replace the striping (not something I will do at this time).

I am telling you my Storm history in case you should want my two cents on some Storm specific issues you may encounter.

Best of luck to you and yours.

Bob
New2this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Appreciate that Bob! I have done a lot of research since my original post here and it appears there's just not a lot to do except some vinyl/rubber cleaner/protectant, which I am happy with the Meguier's product so far.

Kent
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2this View Post
Kent,
Congrats on your purchase and adventure into the RV world. I, like you, am rather new to RVing (purchased our current 2003 Fleetwood Storm in August of 2009). Never RVing before made me a little nervous about owning and driving a motorhome. But with some practice, guidance and this wonderful forum, I have become an avid supporter of Rving and love driving and camping in our Storm (affectionately named "Mac" as in Fleetwood Mac. Depending on your age and taste in music, you may understand that reference.

So far, we have replaced all tires, reupholstered the dinette and all window treatments and replaced the couch with a leather couch. I have updated some of the lights and am in the process of changing all cabinette hardware to a brushed aluminum. Our Rv was in almost perfect shape but we wanted to change the interior to give it a more modern look. Next step is to figure what to do with the floor (carpet, Alure or a combination).

As far as issues with Mac - we had a "service engine soon light" come on twice that after paying a mecahnic $85 for the first time to reset it because they couldn't find anything wrong I purchased a diagnostic tool to do it myself. Other than that, my only issue is my water pump is very loud. I have discovered that with the help of this forum that my issue was really the lines vibrating (haven't fixed that just yet).

For outside maintenance - I have applied Poli glow to the the exterior. I put this own two weeks ago so I can't attest to any long-term results. But so far, I love it. My rig shines like new and bugs just rinse off. I also use Bio Kleen as the black streak remover and another Bio Kleen product for my awning (clean and protect). This stuff is awesome! Now to your original question - I have never used Mcguires but I have not found a product that successfully restores faded striping. The Poli Glow that I applied worked well over the stripes and decals but the end result was a shiny (but still faded) striping. The only real way to do a quality fix is to remove and replace the striping (not something I will do at this time).

I am telling you my Storm history in case you should want my two cents on some Storm specific issues you may encounter.

Bob
Bob, I too had a SES light come on about a month ago. Took it to Ford because I couldn't find where to plug in the borrowed diagnostic tester from O'Reillys down the street. They came up with the Transmission Range Sensor was bad. Replaced it and no more problems. I did have a couple of issues with my entry door window sliding down, couldn't get it to stay back up so I took it in and had CW re-glue/putty it. I was too chicken to take the frame apart, afraid I'd cause more harm than damage.

I also did talk to the original owners of my coach, in Sanford, Michigan. found out there was an issue with the galley slide not moving out equally against the seals. I coincidentally had the coach out in a terrible downpour and the kids sleeping in the dinette bed had a few drips. Need to have that checked out. They also told me in 2009 the entire electrical system and appliances had to be replaced because somebody mistakenly wired up a 220 for the coach. So I didn't know it when I bought it, but my electrical systems, inverter, batt, appliances, etc, are all only a couple years old.....

Kent

Hope all is well long time no talk!

Kent
Old 12-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Kent,

The Poliglo is probably fine but if you want to stick with the Meguires for the fiberglass, then "303 Protectant" is recommended for the vinyl stripes - and rubber seals, and dashboards and just about anything else that needs UV protection.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Kent,

Bob
Hey Bob--long time no hear! How you been?!!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Meguier's Plastic X worked on my vinyl stripes!!

After all these months, I stumbled on the fact that Meguier's Plastic X could clean all my vinyl side striping! I just tried it on a spot and was shocked it did so good! It removed the oxidization, most of the discolorization from what looked to be acid like damage, and left the taping much darker and did not damage its color. I have tried about a dozen other products on this and none of them worked like this!

I did follow up with Meguier's Vinyl & Rubber Protectant when I finished.

It also cleaned the coach mirror covers the windshield wiper arms!!

And, of course, what started it all was cleaning up the headlight lenses, they were looking a little cloudy since I cleaned them last June. Also the marker lights I did too.

Obviously, it didn't remove the deep cracks that were there, but it did restore a much darker and nicer looking finish to the vinyl. I'm very happy with it!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-20_16-51-52_570.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	18106  
Old 03-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am also a new MH owner...New to the whole camping thing. I bought 2002 storm last week, so I appreciate your information. Thanks for sharing.
Herb matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb matlock View Post
I am also a new MH owner...New to the whole camping thing. I bought 2002 storm last week, so I appreciate your information. Thanks for sharing.
Welcome Herb and congratulations on adopting your FW Storm. We have had our 2003 Storm for about 4 1/2 years and love it.

Bob
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb matlock View Post

Welcome aboard IRV2 Herb!

Lots of great information and a treasure trove of experience here on IRV2.

Congratulations on your new MH! Post pictures and also, Bob, you and I are Storm owners, so keep us in mind if you need any questions answered, also the Fleetwood Owner's Forum is a great place too.

Again, Welcome!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Welcome Herb and congratulations on adopting your FW Storm. We have had our 2003 Storm for about 4 1/2 years and love it.

Bob
Hey, Bob, how have you been? Long time no talk!

How's Mac?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Howdy, it has been a while. Mac is doing well. I did fix my steps only to have the same thing happen all over again. I haven't been able to get them down so I stored it with them locked in the up position. As soon as it gets warmer (Michigan), I will try to get them down so I can replace the motor. I bought some really long needle nose pliers that should help me reach the cotter pin. The other issue that just surfaced; I used my garden hose to fill the water tank and it over filled in the process. Then I noticed that the carpet was soaked in the bedroom ( right side as you face the bed under the night stand). I'm still trying to figure out what needs to be fixed. But all else has been great, lots of trips in comfort. How about you?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good, that fresh water tank issue I can't imagine unless it ran somehow around the lip of where the hose enters and got it wet. It has to be something connected to the overflowing water at the entry point. Let me know what you find out.

Wow, the motor on the steps I sure hope isn't a costly thing....I sprayed mine down, all the joints, from the bottom, with WD-40 to clean all them and that did the trick, I need to do that again this year as well....

All is well, am in the middle of trying to tint the windows and get rid of the foil panels I had in and I took the booth out of the dinette and replaced it with a free standing table and chairs, lots more room when the slide is in/travel mode.

Went to Colorado last year on a 50th birthday (mine- ) and had a non eventful trip, all systems working great.

Had to have the hot water heater orifice cleaned and maintenance, it was putting out a little too much soot last winter.

Put in the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C to keep the power safe, that was a must do for me.

Had the CHF done and wow does the coach drive so much better in wind and trucks blowing by don't bother it nearly as much. I highly advise you do the Cheap Handling Fix too. Also replaced the rear sway bar bushings with poly bushings.

New Michelin tires to replace the 10 yr old Michelins and I did the Poli Glow last August/Sept and wow what a diff that made! It really helped the vinyl striping and it keeps it from weathering any more. Did you ever put the Poli Glow on?

Also got the front outside screens from Prompt RV Sunscreens, helps keep the coach cool in summer and still be able to look out, which is nice.

That's it in a nutshell!

I would like to get rid of the jack knife sofa for a sofa that just folds out, but haven't done that yet. Need to replace the carpet too.

Am working on window tint and new window box fabric for interior too.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Question

I thought I sent you a message a few weeks ago but don't see it posted so I goofed up somewhere. I have a few questions relative to your last post.

1) Can you tell me more about the CHF - what did you do, cost that sort of thing?

2) Furnace maintenance - is this something you did or had serviced, cost, what was done?

3)Carpert - how are you going to handle the slides? I am looking at the same thing.

I have replaced the floor covering in kitchen and bath area. New leather couch, window treatments and dinette all re-upholstered. Changed all hardware (hinges, handles and lights (dinette & bathroom) to the nickle plated type. I used Poli Glow for last 2 years and love it. Replaced tires with Michelins a year ago. Still playing with the steps but that will have to wait for warmer weather. Happy belated birthday.

Tags
fleetwood