Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2019, 09:11 PM   #29

Same issue here: impossible to see anything in the drivers side mirror when backing into our covered port. I open the window and screen, poke my head out and go from there.
Mel556180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #30

Glare solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Make a glare shield out of cardboard, trim it to fit the A pillar and dash. Then you can trim the top just high enough to block the reflection and just wide enough to see the edge of the mirror clearly. After you have the correct fit and shape, you can cut one out of a more permanent material. Mine is made out of fluted plastic, held in place with Velcro strips so it can be removed for the operation of the curtains.
X2 This type of shield provides a complete resolution of the problem. It took me an hour or so to trim some cardboard to conform to the dash and the pillar, then I traced shape onto a better looking material and secured to the pillar with velcro. Mine never interfere, even when lowering the drop down bunk. Use any material since you will not have to see thru them, from the driver seat you are looking at the edge and it is lined up with the pillar. Its a shame to have to do this, the MH manufacturers have created a real safety hazard.
Flyitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Back up cameras

Stop earlier in the day
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Try dropping your solar shade down prior to using the side mirrors to back up. You can still see through the solar shade if you have to look out front but it blocks the reflection coming through the windshield.
Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:43 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
I, (like RRR), lower windshield power shade, lucky to have it since former units didnt.

However mine isnt a sun shade, its a blackout, but it works.

Especially backing into my storage barn, can almost see in pix. Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9DB47A40-287F-45A1-B35D-A618D6B808D5.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	265889  
Old 11-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #34

I've dealt with that problem fir 9 years. My new coach the mirror is in the front of the coach...fixed that glare problem.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:28 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
If the mirror arm is long enough...move the mirror to the front where you will not have any reflections through the windshield.
That will cure the problem!
Old 11-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #36

The only place I have a problem with glare or reflections is when I put my coach into the storage barn for the winter period. As I start backing into the barn I have a reflection in my mirror on the driver's side of the open field in front of the barn. I have tried opening windows which doesn't help and have tried sunglasses which do nothing to help me.
My solution is to have my son follow me to the storage facility with my pick up truck and once I start to back in he gives me directions. We back farm equipment and trailers up all the time at home and seldom need a guide but if we do we have learned to trust each other's verbal and hand signals.
Where I park in the barn I have to be within a foot of the wall on the driver's side and 1 1/2' from the back wall. I have to back in at a sharp angle then get straight with the wall. I can't see clearly until I'm at least 2/3 of the way to my spot. By then closing the doors isn't of much help. It's 100' from the doors to the back of the barn. The back up camera is of little help as my coach blocks off enough light when getting close to my spot It's tough to judge the distances.
I have to have a ride home after parking my coach anyway so having a spotter doubling as a taxi driver works for me.
Lynn
Old 11-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #37

Here is one Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Just recently switched to a class A and really enjoying it. Having previously had a large class C, I'm very familiar with using side mirrors to back into tight spots, etc.

One thing I'm finding is that because the A has flat side glass (vs the C's curved van windows) I can get some really frustrating reflections on the side glass that impair my ability to see what's in the mirrors well. Usually this seems worst when what's in the mirror is in low light. If I happen to have my side window slid open (to hear / talk) it's doubly bad due to the extra glass layer.

I can't be the only one with this issue. What do folks do? Best I've thought of is to install docking lights, but they might or might not help, depending on the specific issue.

Thanks in advance for ideas / experience!
https://www.proklear.in/wp-content/u...GE_-MANUAL.pdf

Proklear works very will. Should last at a min. of a year or better on a Car a lot longer on a seasonal RV.
Nomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #38

No Non Glare Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Glad to know I'm not totally crazy

Wonder if there is an anti-reflective film that one could apply (that wouldn't also ruin vision)? Hmmmm...
But here is a product.
https://www.proklear.in/wp-content/u...GE_-MANUAL.pdf
Nomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #39

2005 expedition had similar problem. Had to replace side window as it was the plastic between the safety plates had been affected by sunlight and darkened a bit. It was like having a mirror instead of window with any kind of glare.
rogerasay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #40
Dom

I just bought a sheet of poster board, flat black, 2x3, cut it in half. I keep these down beside me and when I need to back up in sunlight, I am able to position them just right to eliminate the glare
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
This was a serious problem backing up. Couldn't see anything due to the sun's reflection off the tan dash onto the window. Only way around it was to stick my head out the window. Two weeks ago I bought a small black bath mat from Walmart that fits the driver side dash perfectly. No more reflection. I have 3k to go before returning home and so far it's working. It rolls up when not needed and sits behind the seat.
f365gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #42

I cheat! If my left side mirror is giving me confusing information, I turn on the left turn signal which enables the camera which has a much better view than the mirrors. Then, my ultimate cheater is my navigator and copilot. She hasn't failed me yet!
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep Toad
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reflection, wind, window