Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

Signal Light Issues

I have intermittent signal light issues with my Safari Cheetah motorhome. When I turn on the signal lights the one on the other side flashes with it but very faint. Also if I use the four way flashers the two in the front work but the two in the rear do not. As well if I step on the brake both signal light indicators on the dash light up. Then if I wait a bit everything is back to normal. Must be a grounding problem but I could use a little insight as to where to look for it. It is built by Monaco on a Roadmaster chassis.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think you're right about the ground being the problem, each light probably has a ground connection. I'd check and clean every one of the lights I could access.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:39 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Pull the lamps and check the amount of current getting to the socket. If its low you have a pinched wire somewhere up stream or possibly a loose ground. You'll have to trace the wiring harness to find the ground, there should be one at each corner but giving how they build them...it might only have one at the front of the chassis.

Another thought, check the lamp upstream of the dim bulbs/harness for corrosion.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:04 AM   #4

Looks like I'll have to go wire tracing for all the grounds. Trouble is its not consistent. At the present time it's working so I guess I'll have to check all the grounds I can find.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
Old 06-17-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

part of what your experiencing is power traveling through the wires to another bulb, thus one or more bulbs light incorrectly... this is most often a ground problem..

Its common for the electrical connector on the back of lamp to an issue... if you pull the lamp assembly out of the body, check those connections... and of course the bulb to the lamp assembly... electrolysis between the bulb and base is usually the problem... lightly clean and than add some Vaseline to the connections... I usually use a dielectric grease... available at most auto parts stores... but a simple fix is with Vaseline...
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
part of what your experiencing is power traveling through the wires to another bulb, thus one or more bulbs light incorrectly... this is most often a ground problem..

Its common for the electrical connector on the back of lamp to an issue... if you pull the lamp assembly out of the body, check those connections... and of course the bulb to the lamp assembly... electrolysis between the bulb and base is usually the problem... lightly clean and than add some Vaseline to the connections... I usually use a dielectric grease... available at most auto parts stores... but a simple fix is with Vaseline...

I did pull all the rear bulbs out of the sockets and found a little corrosion but nothing serious. I do have dielectric grease so I will apply it to guard against future problems. I think I need to find the ground that is common to the lights in the back. Should have time this weekend to do it.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
Old 07-11-2016, 07:45 AM   #7

Well I finally found the problem. It was a grounding problem but a hard one to find. I found the grounding lug for the rear tail lights. Cleaned everything up put it back together with anti corrosion compound and it was still intermittent.
When I was under there I noticed that the rear part of the frame is only bolted to the actual frame. I ran a wire linking both frames to grounding studs and everything is working fine now. Turns out ground wasn't really ground.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One

Tags
light